Roadside/Car Emergency Shelter Kit

Started by Crimson_Phoenix, September 25, 2026, 03:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Crimson_Phoenix

Has anybody put together a shelter and bedding kit they primarily keep in their vehicle in case they get stranded or have an unexpected overnight stay but can't get lodging nearby? I live primarily in a hot dry environment, but want to start doing weekend trips into Arizona's rim country and the Flagstaff and Prescott areas. Short of always having my camping gear loaded up, what would make for a decent roadside emergency shelter and bedding kit?

I currently have in my ALICE ruck a BCO shelter tarp kit with cordage, Nite-Ize carabiners, and stakes, and have an extra poncho liner, poncho, moving blanket, IFAK, and roadside car kit (tools, cigarette lighter plug in tire inflater, duct tape, electrical tape, etc.). I usually travel with at minimum 2 gallons of water in the car. Anything else?

To clarify, I drive a late 2010s Nissan Rogue Sport. The seats can fold down flat with no hump, which was a selling point for me, but it's hard to conceal a lot of stuff in the back. I currently keep my car kit gear in a long dairy crate anchored to the side of the back compartment and have a moving blanket rolled up on the seat for when I do move stuff. Also keep two gallon jugs of water, an extendable hiking pole, and folding camp chair in the back as well.
Nowhere is a very big place to get lost.

Rednex

Kinda make shift but a 8X12 tarp, wool blanket, moving blanket, M65 coat, coffee can stove and metal cup, paracord, 3/4" roap, a full size shovel(can stick in the ground use the handle as a tent pole) a few of those cheap mylar reflective blankets, and a few stakes. Never used it in an emergency but have used the same thing ( less the shovel) in trial/error testing and it worked  ok enough for a night in moderate climate. That's not all i keep in the truck , that's just what i keep that can be used as a shelter/bedding.

Moab

I would carry a cheap military sleeping bag (heavy = cheap = disposable if stolen + you're not carrying it). And ditch the liner and moving blanket. Maybe keep just the poncho and liner if late spring, summer or very early fall.

Can you sleep in your vehicle? You mention "roadside" so I'm assuming no?

How big is the tarp? I would prefer a cheap heavy tent if snow. For same reasons above re; heavy sleeping bag.

Vehicle only is where cheap surplus wins out. Your mechanized basically, not carrying any distance, it's cheap, rugged, and doesn't matter if it gets stolen out of your car.

Bonus advice. I always keep a cheap black fleece blanket in my vehicles. Thrown over anything it hides it in most vehicles with even mild tint at night. Prime time for theft. I haven't owned a vehicle with a trunk in years though. I keep an improved duffle bag with vehicle gear in the back of my Jeep. Covered with the black fleece blanket. Stock tinting it's almost invisible even with a flashlight at night. The dull black fleece reads carpet or upholstery. Trash bags are black but shiny.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk