Notable Deaths of 2021

Started by NT2C, June 06, 2021, 06:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raptor

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on August 05, 2021, 11:23:14 PM
Quote from: RoneKiln on August 05, 2021, 10:02:53 PM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on August 05, 2021, 01:11:24 PM
Colonel Dave Elliott Severance of the USMC, commanding officer of Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, 28th Marines and the man who ordered his 3rd Platoon to scale Mount Suribachi during the battle of Iwo Jima to raise the US flag, passed away on August 2nd at the age of 102.

This should be getting more media attention than any celebrity we lost this last year.

Listening to Dan Carlin's Supernova in the East series this last year really impressed on me how little most Americans (myself included) know about even our very recent history.

I always knew the Pacific campaign was hard fought, but I truly had no clue. I probably still have no clue.

I've been learning about WW1 and WW2 since I was a young Chimp and I knew the story of the flag raising on Mount Suribachi, but I never knew about Colonel Severance until today.

It'll be a sad day when the last WW2 vet passes away. So much history will be lost.

My father was a US Army Lt in ww-2 in the ETO. He was attached to the 42nd Division and was engaged in that conflict from the day they first landed until well after the war's end.

The level of sacrifice and heroism by this generation at home and in the PTO and ETO was amazing. There is a reason they are called the greatest generation.

Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

flybynight

Quote from: Raptor on August 25, 2021, 11:54:21 AM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on August 05, 2021, 11:23:14 PM
Quote from: RoneKiln on August 05, 2021, 10:02:53 PM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on August 05, 2021, 01:11:24 PM
Colonel Dave Elliott Severance of the USMC, commanding officer of Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, 28th Marines and the man who ordered his 3rd Platoon to scale Mount Suribachi during the battle of Iwo Jima to raise the US flag, passed away on August 2nd at the age of 102.

This should be getting more media attention than any celebrity we lost this last year.

Listening to Dan Carlin's Supernova in the East series this last year really impressed on me how little most Americans (myself included) know about even our very recent history.

I always knew the Pacific campaign was hard fought, but I truly had no clue. I probably still have no clue.

I've been learning about WW1 and WW2 since I was a young Chimp and I knew the story of the flag raising on Mount Suribachi, but I never knew about Colonel Severance until today.

It'll be a sad day when the last WW2 vet passes away. So much history will be lost.

My father was a US Army Lt in ww-2 in the ETO. He was attached to the 42nd Division and was engaged in that conflict from the day they first landed until well after the war's end.

The level of sacrifice and heroism by this generation at home and in the PTO and ETO was amazing. There is a reason they are called the greatest generation.

https://www.amazon.com/Helmet-My-Pillow-Parris-Pacific/dp/107062117X/ref=asc_df_107062117X?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79920832001483&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520386294793&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Breed-At-Peleliu-Okinawa/dp/0891419063/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=0891419063&psc=1

Or if you  just want to get a sense of  just how brutal it was  , you can watch the Pacific. It's still on HBO I think

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pacific_(miniseries)

"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

12_Gauge_Chimp

Famed actor Ed Asner passed away today at age 91. Cause of death for Ed Asner hasn't been released yet.

Reggae record producer Lee "Scratch" Perry also passed away today at age 85. Perry died of an unidentified illness at a hospital in Jamaica.

EBuff75

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on August 29, 2021, 01:49:57 PM
Famed actor Ed Asner passed away today at age 91. Cause of death for Ed Asner hasn't been released yet.

Imdb has 417 credits listed for him, and the busiest part of his career has been in the 2000s!  I had no idea that he was that prolific of an actor or that he was still that active!
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

MPMalloy

MPMalloy

Willard Herman Scott Jr.  He was 87 & the original portrayer of Ronald McDonald.

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: MPMalloy on September 04, 2021, 04:29:06 PM
Willard Herman Scott Jr.  He was 87 & the original portrayer of Ronald McDonald.

Willard Scott is often credited as the man who created the character of Ronald McDonald. He was also the weatherman on the "Today" show for a number of years.

Lettuce Pray

Quote from: MPMalloy on September 04, 2021, 04:29:06 PM

I think of Willard Scott whenever I see someone really, really old and when I see a jar of Smucker's. It is kind of funny how little things mark your life for decades.

Mr. E. Monkey

If this year could. just. stop.

That would be great.
Quote from: SMoAF'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: BeowolfDisasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bushTHE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

flybynight

Quote from: Mr. E. Monkey on September 05, 2021, 04:26:10 PM

That would be great.

Well it stopped for them.... Is that what you want ?
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

Mr. E. Monkey

Quote from: flybynight on September 05, 2021, 04:59:32 PM
Quote from: Mr. E. Monkey on September 05, 2021, 04:26:10 PM

That would be great.

Well it stopped for them.... Is that what you want ?

Listen you...the corrupt a wish thread is over that way.   :tickedoff:

:smiley_clap:

Brekar

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/michael-k-williams-star-wire-203242485.html

Michael K. Williams, who memorably portrayed Omar Little in "The Wire" and Chalky White in "Boardwalk Empire," has died at age 54.

12_Gauge_Chimp

Art Metrano, best known for his role as Lt. Mauser in Police Academy 2 and 3, passed away September 8th at age 84.

Cause of death is listed as natural causes.

MPMalloy

John Ruan III has passed.  He was 78.

Lambykins

"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

12_Gauge_Chimp

Lambykins

"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

Mr. E. Monkey

When I hear a guy lost a battle to cancer, that really did bother me, that that's a term. It implies that he failed and that somebody else that defeated cancer is heroic and courageous.
--Norm MacDonald

lurkedthere

BBC News - Sir Clive Sinclair: Computing pioneer dies aged 81
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58587521

My first computer was a ZX81.
£99 including 1 Kb of RAM. Wrote my first programme on it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk