My old BOB

Started by ZombieDeath, September 23, 2026, 09:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

ZombieDeath

As I get older, I've realized I want to carry less weight. Since I already carry my CCW, spare mags, two knives, a Zippo with a screwdriver insert, a mini Bic, a card wallet, and a prybar, I've decided to stop keeping those redundant items in my bugout bag. Between what I carry on my person and the dedicated trauma/GSW kit I keep in my vehicle, my old 55lb bag has become unnecessary.

I've officially retired the "big BOB" in favor of a smaller, more streamlined "baby BOB." Here is the scaled-down loadout I've transitioned to:

*  Sewing kit
*  Small repair kit (duct tape, hose clamps, zip ties, and a small case with assorted screws/nails)
*  Fire kit
*  Compass and signal mirror
*  Extra socks
*  Rain poncho
*  Small umbrella
*  Power brick
*  Two 55-gallon trash bags
*  50 rounds of 9mm
I haven't weighed this new setup yet, but it's likely around 10 lbs. I believe it covers the essentials for a SHTF bug-out scenario. This "baby BOB" actually used to be my everyday carry (EDC) bag, which I had previously stopped using.
I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Moab

What is your AO and use case scenario? Without knowing your plan, difficulty of route, time on the road, weather and terrain your likely to experience - it's impossible to analyze.

Where are you going with this BOB?

And welcome aboard! Didn't mean the above to sound challenging. Just sincerely want to help. If you can share what your trying to accomplish with this BOB it will help us a great deal - to help you.

Honestly this sounds more like a GHB or get home bag. Than a BOB. It's very light on supplies. Food, water and shelter for one. And why are you carrying a poncho and an umbrella? And why two knives?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

jdavidboyd

I was thinking "why hose clamps".  A spare parts kit for your vehicle should probably just stay in your vehicle.
What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

MacWa77ace

@jdavidboyd the ones that screw tighten can be used as attachment hardware to connect small diameter items like long sticks to make a lean to. Reinforce a cracked tool handle or rifle stock. Metal zip ties might be better as you don't need tools other than a multi tool with a diag cutter. The spring type would only be for hoses I think. But if you're using these and have screws and nails, where's the tool kit? I agree, auto repair kits should be kept in the auto.



@Moab That BOB setup does seem more like a GBHB to me too.

I have a bunch of interchangeable 'kits'.
For example:
In my vehicles I keep complete VERKs [Vehicle repair kits] which include tools, tire patch kits, tire inflators, fire extinguishers, rags, gloves, even a cheapo impact wrench to change tires and jump packs, etc. But if my car is not usable due to EMP etc, I don't need to carry those tools. So they are in a separate kit. 

Then there's also a GBHB that has water filtration and purifying and carrying bladders, fire making, complete set of GBH clothes, hat and shoes with multiple underwear, socks, and 3 days of MRE's. Rain gear. Worst case scenario is I'm 14.3 hour walk @ 3mph from home so that is at least 1 overnite at max distance, depending. No sleeping stuff though; bag, mat, hammock etc.  :smiley_shrug:

Then there's a TCCC IFAK with a comfort kit that includes sunscreen and bug repellant pillow packs.

And then at work there is a Squad FAK, water and more food. But this is only good if something happens when I'm at work, not already in transit.

And then there's my EDC bag which has comm's, digital document backups, cash, more IFAK and meds, fixed blade/fire starter, CCW, spare mags. etc. I would only be transferring stuff from this back to the GBHB as needed, I won't carry this bag back home. Once I put on the clothes/boots from the GBHB there will be room enough for need EDC bag stuff. And some stuff from the EDC bag will be worn on body. radio, knife, CCW, xmags, cash etc.

All this stuff can be combined and customized for the situation for me to get back home.

At home I do have a BOB but it is small and is basically a 'wake up in the night and the house is on fire' bag. It's got 3 days of clothes and shoes and hygiene stuff to grab and run. That's the only bugout plan I have, if its anything other disaster I'ma bug in.
Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Ask me about my 50 caliber Fully Semi-Automatic 30-Mag clip death gun that's as heavy as 10 boxes that you might be moving.


ZombieDeath

Quote from: Moab on September 24, 2026, 12:25:27 AMWhat is your AO and use case scenario? Without knowing your plan, difficulty of route, time on the road, weather and terrain your likely to experience - it's impossible to analyze.
Where are you going with this BOB?
And welcome aboard! Didn't mean the above to sound challenging. Just sincerely want to help. If you can share what your trying to accomplish with this BOB it will help us a great deal - to help you.
Honestly this sounds more like a GHB or get home bag. Than a BOB. It's very light on supplies. Food, water and shelter for one. And why are you carrying a poncho and an umbrella? And why two knives?
I appreciate the questions and the constructive feedback. You're right—my original BOB was based on a "two is one, one is none" philosophy, but I've since expanded my network and cached supplies at my various destinations, which allows me to travel lighter.

Regarding the specific items you mentioned: the umbrella serves multiple roles—rain protection, a sun shield, and a way to keep wood dry while I'm using my poncho for shelter or ground cover. As for the two knives, I carry one as a workhorse for general tasks and a second strictly for defense or as a backup in case the first is lost or damaged.

I'm based in Southwest Oklahoma, so my primary concerns are tornadoes and wildfires. For those scenarios, speed is key. If a man-made SHTF event occurs, I'm less concerned with an immediate, panicked evacuation. I have a group of like-minded friends within a 5 to 125-mile radius, and we've all cross-stashed gear and supplies at each other's locations. Essentially, this new bag is a transition to a more efficient, mobility-focused setup, acknowledging that my previous "everything-in-one-bag" approach was perhaps overthinking the exit strategy.

I appreciate the questions and the constructive feedback. You're right—my original BOB was based on a "two is one, one is none" philosophy, but I've since expanded my network and cached supplies at my various destinations, which allows me to travel much lighter.

Regarding the specific items mentioned: the umbrella serves multiple roles—rain protection, a sun shield, and a way to keep wood dry while I'm using my poncho for shelter or ground cover. As for the two knives, I carry one as a workhorse for general tasks and a second strictly for defense or as a backup in case the first is lost or damaged.

I'm based in Southwest Oklahoma, so my primary concerns are tornadoes and wildfires. For those scenarios, speed is key. If a man-made SHTF event occurs, I'm less concerned with a panicked evacuation. I have a group of like-minded friends within a 5 to 125-mile radius, and we've all cross-stashed gear and supplies at each other's locations. Essentially, this new bag is a transition to a more efficient, mobility-focused setup, acknowledging that my previous "everything-in-one-bag" approach was perhaps overthinking the exit strategy.

I keep a dedicated trauma/med kit, a case of water, a case of MREs, a complete tool kit, and a bag with seasonal clothing in my vehicle. Because of these vehicle-based supplies, I am aiming for a "light exit" strategy. If my vehicle becomes inoperable for any reason, this smaller bag provides exactly what I need to make the short trek—never more than a 12-minute walk—to my next pre-stocked supply stash.

Thank you for the input.
I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

ZombieDeath

Quote from: jdavidboyd on September 24, 2026, 07:53:05 AMI was thinking "why hose clamps".  A spare parts kit for your vehicle should probably just stay in your vehicle.
I have kept these in my bags for a while now they are very handy for a lot of things and are reusable. I also have several in my vehicle tool kit as well. 
I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

ZombieDeath

Quote from: MacWa77ace on September 24, 2026, 11:45:10 AM@jdavidboyd the ones that screw tighten can be used as attachment hardware to connect small diameter items like long sticks to make a lean to. Reinforce a cracked tool handle or rifle stock. Metal zip ties might be better as you don't need tools other than a multi tool with a diag cutter. The spring type would only be for hoses I think. But if you're using these and have screws and nails, where's the tool kit? I agree, auto repair kits should be kept in the auto.

@Moab That BOB setup does seem more like a GBHB to me too.
I have a bunch of interchangeable 'kits'.
For example:
In my vehicles I keep complete VERKs [Vehicle repair kits] which include tools, tire patch kits, tire inflators, fire extinguishers, rags, gloves, even a cheapo impact wrench to change tires and jump packs, etc. But if my car is not usable due to EMP etc, I don't need to carry those tools. So they are in a separate kit. 
Then there's also a GBHB that has water filtration and purifying and carrying bladders, fire making, complete set of GBH clothes, hat and shoes with multiple underwear, socks, and 3 days of MRE's. Rain gear. Worst case scenario is I'm 14.3 hour walk @ 3mph from home so that is at least 1 overnite at max distance, depending. No sleeping stuff though; bag, mat, hammock etc.  :smiley_shrug:
Then there's a TCCC IFAK with a comfort kit that includes sunscreen and bug repellant pillow packs.
And then at work there is a Squad FAK, water and more food. But this is only good if something happens when I'm at work, not already in transit.
And then there's my EDC bag which has comm's, digital document backups, cash, more IFAK and meds, fixed blade/fire starter, CCW, spare mags. etc. I would only be transferring stuff from this back to the GBHB as needed, I won't carry this bag back home. Once I put on the clothes/boots from the GBHB there will be room enough for need EDC bag stuff. And some stuff from the EDC bag will be worn on body. radio, knife, CCW, xmags, cash etc.
All this stuff can be combined and customized for the situation for me to get back home.
At home I do have a BOB but it is small and is basically a 'wake up in the night and the house is on fire' bag. It's got 3 days of clothes and shoes and hygiene stuff to grab and run. That's the only bugout plan I have, if its anything other disaster I'ma bug in.
That makes a lot of sense. My EDC habits have shifted quite a bit as well; since my routine has become more predictable and I rarely go out, I've moved most of my essentials directly onto my person. If SHTF occurs while I'm at my usual stops—like Walmart, Academy, or Tractor Supply—I'm already surrounded by supplies. Plus, I'm well-covered at work and have my vehicle kit as a backup.

Like you, I'm in the "shelter in place" camp unless things become truly untenable—unless my house is on fire, flooded, or suddenly becomes a "convertible" in a tornado, I'm staying put.

Regarding the hardware, keeping a few screws and nails in my kit has been a game-changer. They save me the trouble of lashing everything together, and in a pinch, a simple rock serves perfectly fine as a hammer. It's all about working with what you have on hand.

This is part of my daily carry.
I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

Moab

What the hell is "GBHB"?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

ZombieDeath

Quote from: Moab on September 24, 2026, 12:30:19 PMWhat the hell is "GBHB"?
Get bob home bag

( I missed that where was it)
I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink whatever comes out?"

MacWa77ace

Quote from: ZombieDeath on September 24, 2026, 12:54:01 PM
Quote from: Moab on September 24, 2026, 12:30:19 PMWhat the hell is "GBHB"?
Get bob home bag

( I missed that where was it)

LOL, Get BACK home bag.

Not to be confused with
GOOD bag  [Get out of Dodge]
INCH bag  [I'm not coming home]
BOAT bag  [just a bag with emergency stuff for when you're going out on a boat]
DITTY bag [for all your toiletries]
BOB       [Bug out Bag]

Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Ask me about my 50 caliber Fully Semi-Automatic 30-Mag clip death gun that's as heavy as 10 boxes that you might be moving.


Moab

Quote from: MacWa77ace on September 24, 2026, 02:47:48 PM
Quote from: ZombieDeath on September 24, 2026, 12:54:01 PM
Quote from: Moab on September 24, 2026, 12:30:19 PMWhat the hell is "GBHB"?
Get bob home bag

( I missed that where was it)

LOL, Get BACK home bag.

Not to be confused with
GOOD bag  [Get out of Dodge]
INCH bag  [I'm not coming home]
BOAT bag  [just a bag with emergency stuff for when you're going out on a boat]
DITTY bag [for all your toiletries]
BOB      [Bug out Bag]


What happened to GHB (Get Home Bag)? Are you having a senior moment? 😆
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MacWa77ace

@Moab No I've always referred to it as GBHB.



Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Ask me about my 50 caliber Fully Semi-Automatic 30-Mag clip death gun that's as heavy as 10 boxes that you might be moving.


jdavidboyd

Quote from: MacWa77ace on September 24, 2026, 11:45:10 AM@jdavidboyd the ones that screw tighten can be used as attachment hardware to connect small diameter items like long sticks to make a lean to. Reinforce a cracked tool handle or rifle stock. 
Ah, that makes perfect sense.  Great idea, and I apologize for ever thinking it was strange.
What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Moab

Quote from: MacWa77ace on September 25, 2026, 09:14:34 AM@Moab No I've always referred to it as GBHB.




I have never seen that. Lol.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Moab

Quote from: ZombieDeath on September 23, 2026, 09:59:11 PMAs I get older, I've realized I want to carry less weight. Since I already carry my CCW, spare mags, two knives, a Zippo with a screwdriver insert, a mini Bic, a card wallet, and a prybar, I've decided to stop keeping those redundant items in my bugout bag. Between what I carry on my person and the dedicated trauma/GSW kit I keep in my vehicle, my old 55lb bag has become unnecessary.

I've officially retired the "big BOB" in favor of a smaller, more streamlined "baby BOB." Here is the scaled-down loadout I've transitioned to:

*  Sewing kit
*  Small repair kit (duct tape, hose clamps, zip ties, and a small case with assorted screws/nails)
*  Fire kit
*  Compass and signal mirror
*  Extra socks
*  Rain poncho
*  Small umbrella
*  Power brick
*  Two 55-gallon trash bags
*  50 rounds of 9mm
I haven't weighed this new setup yet, but it's likely around 10 lbs. I believe it covers the essentials for a SHTF bug-out scenario. This "baby BOB" actually used to be my everyday carry (EDC) bag, which I had previously stopped using.

Honestly it seems like your missing some of the 10Cs of survival. Not saying that is the gospel. Just seems things are missing from this BOB. But also not sure what your use case is. So I'm not sure comparing your list to a master list of 10C or similar list would do you any good. 

A use case and complete kit list - might help us better evaluate your kit and make suggestions. 

For one I would ditch the hose clamps. And look into a material that is more universal and could provide more uses. Like simple heavy wire and/or cordage. You can make actual hose clamps with wire. It's very simple. And wire has a thousand more uses than hose clamps. 

It seems like a lot of your preps are heavy on store bought. Versus skill and universal materials you can do many things with. 

Water treatment comes to mind. As do a few other things that you might benefit from. But again we need a use case - your planned bugout and area of travel. With a basic risk assessment including weather. 

I'm not sure you've really thought out what you might face, what gear might best accomplish that, or what skills you might consider adding. That can greatly multiply your capabilities and lesson the amount of separate things you need to carry. 
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk