When the super rich suddenly take to the skies ...

Started by majorhavoc, August 28, 2026, 10:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

majorhavoc

Us plebes better run to the shelters!

https://ews.kylemcdonald.net/

Almost posted this in Just For Laughs because I don't know seriously to take the premise. But there is a certain logic to the idea that the well-heeled and well-connected might have advance, inside knowledge of world events and scramble to their private planes to jet off to their secret bunkers.

Except wouldn't the inevitable EMP pulses of a nuclear war knock those posh planes out of the skies?
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

Moab

This is cool as shit!

From the website:

"Would EMP immediately destroy airplanes?
Aircraft are generally more robust than consumer electronics because certified airplanes already need lightning protection. FAA lightning-protection rules require important electrical and electronic systems to withstand or recover from lightning exposure. That does not prove immunity to every nuclear EMP case, but aircraft are not inherently fragile in the way a laptop or phone might be." 
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Moab

I may be an idiot. But the service cost $5 per year. I joined. 🙄

You cannot view this attachment.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Crimson_Phoenix

I don't know if it's true, and it's certainly outdated, but I had heard even through the 1980s if there was a real exchange expected ahead of time, the US weighed considering they wouldn't tell anyone and just let it run its course because telling anybody at all would cause more deaths in a panic as the highways jammed and render evacuating pointless.  :eek1:
Nowhere is a very big place to get lost.

Moab

Quote from: Crimson_Phoenix on September 19, 2026, 11:53:22 PMI don't know if it's true, and it's certainly outdated, but I had heard even through the 1980s if there was a real exchange expected ahead of time, the US weighed considering they wouldn't tell anyone and just let it run its course because telling anybody at all would cause more deaths in a panic as the highways jammed and render evacuating pointless.  :eek1:
I think that is probably a very legitimate concern on the part of government and emergency response. And wouldn't be surprised if that tactic of misinformation played out.

Few realize how quickly our freeways turn into parking lots, how quickly our food supply dries up, how quickly lack of water can result in real life or death consequences. And even fewer realize how extremely violent things can get the moment people see their children suffering or dieing.

The children thing can happen so quickly. Few imagine this. And the reactions to a child in danger can be as real and violent as a solider in combat in a matter of days, hours or seconds.

And there are so many uneducated people about reacting in a disaster. Just look at the long lines of morons returning cart after cart of toilet paper after COVID subsided?! Lol. Like toilet paper was going to save them?! No plan for clean water (beyond case upon case of bottled water), few back up food supplies, little sanitation, none of them knew what to buy AFTER the disaster had already arrived.

Put those same people in a situation where they feel the need to evacuate? Freewasy turn into a Mad Max parking lot in a matter of minutes or hours. I thought long and hard about evacuating Los Angeles when I lived there. Two choices - stealing or bribing your way onto a boat or motorcycles. So you can drive between cars in the blocked freeways.

But imagine driving past miles of inner city families parked on the freeway. You have maybe 20 minutes before people start freaking out about their own safety or that of their children. And suddenly your well equipped ass (backpack, correct clothing etc etc) on a free moving motorcycle becomes a huge target.

I am still convinced considering the population, the massive numbers, and the hours and miles of travel it would take just to get thru 25 million people in a traffic jam - that you would eventually get shot at. I mean that city can't even hold it together during political marches or demonstrations.

A real disaster would turn into a scene out of Mad Max - easily!

And most medium to large sized cities in America would to. Especially considering the child in harm factor.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Crimson_Phoenix

Quote from: Moab on September 20, 2026, 02:19:39 AM
Quote from: Crimson_Phoenix on September 19, 2026, 11:53:22 PMI don't know if it's true, and it's certainly outdated, but I had heard even through the 1980s if there was a real exchange expected ahead of time, the US weighed considering they wouldn't tell anyone and just let it run its course because telling anybody at all would cause more deaths in a panic as the highways jammed and render evacuating pointless.  :eek1:
I think that is probably a very legitimate concern on the part of government and emergency response. And wouldn't be surprised if that tactic of misinformation played out.

Few realize how quickly our freeways turn into parking lots, how quickly our food supply dries up, how quickly lack of water can result in real life or death consequences. And even fewer realize how extremely violent things can get the moment people see their children suffering or dieing.

The children thing can happen so quickly. Few imagine this. And the reactions to a child in danger can be as real and violent as a solider in combat in a matter of days, hours or seconds.

And there are so many uneducated people about reacting in a disaster. Just look at the long lines of morons returning cart after cart of toilet paper after COVID subsided?! Lol. Like toilet paper was going to save them?! No plan for clean water (beyond case upon case of bottled water), few back up food supplies, little sanitation, none of them knew what to buy AFTER the disaster had already arrived.

Put those same people in a situation where they feel the need to evacuate? Freewasy turn into a Mad Max parking lot in a matter of minutes or hours. I thought long and hard about evacuating Los Angeles when I lived there. Two choices - stealing or bribing your way onto a boat or motorcycles. So you can drive between cars in the blocked freeways.

But imagine driving past miles of inner city families parked on the freeway. You have maybe 20 minutes before people start freaking out about their own safety or that of their children. And suddenly your well equipped ass (backpack, correct clothing etc etc) on a free moving motorcycle becomes a huge target.

I am still convinced considering the population, the massive numbers, and the hours and miles of travel it would take just to get thru 25 million people in a traffic jam - that you would eventually get shot at. I mean that city can't even hold it together during political marches or demonstrations.

A real disaster would turn into a scene out of Mad Max - easily!

And most medium to large sized cities in America would to. Especially considering the child in harm factor.



I used to work tangent to Emergency Management as a GIS tech for the joint Sheriff/EMS dispatch with my county for 8 years, and did the disaster response ordering and inventory control ahead of hurricanes with my second job for a major grocer for 10 years. I look and sound like an idiot to normal people when the topic comes up, but I've mostly set up for sheltering in place unless there's a major industrial accident involving toxic or radioactive materials, civil unrest, or an actual war war. I can't discuss specific scenarios without outing myself in my current job, but we had nonspecific threats we were getting briefed on two years ago during the fall and I had friends on the west coast telling me if anything happened, I grab what I can, get in my car and don't stop except for gas until I get to the valley. I kept telling them I wouldn't get further than a mile because the highway I live near would be a log jam and I wasn't going to bother. They thought I was insane.
Nowhere is a very big place to get lost.

Moab

Quote from: Crimson_Phoenix on September 20, 2026, 02:58:17 AM
Quote from: Moab on September 20, 2026, 02:19:39 AM
Quote from: Crimson_Phoenix on September 19, 2026, 11:53:22 PMI don't know if it's true, and it's certainly outdated, but I had heard even through the 1980s if there was a real exchange expected ahead of time, the US weighed considering they wouldn't tell anyone and just let it run its course because telling anybody at all would cause more deaths in a panic as the highways jammed and render evacuating pointless.  :eek1:
I think that is probably a very legitimate concern on the part of government and emergency response. And wouldn't be surprised if that tactic of misinformation played out.

Few realize how quickly our freeways turn into parking lots, how quickly our food supply dries up, how quickly lack of water can result in real life or death consequences. And even fewer realize how extremely violent things can get the moment people see their children suffering or dieing.

The children thing can happen so quickly. Few imagine this. And the reactions to a child in danger can be as real and violent as a solider in combat in a matter of days, hours or seconds.

And there are so many uneducated people about reacting in a disaster. Just look at the long lines of morons returning cart after cart of toilet paper after COVID subsided?! Lol. Like toilet paper was going to save them?! No plan for clean water (beyond case upon case of bottled water), few back up food supplies, little sanitation, none of them knew what to buy AFTER the disaster had already arrived.

Put those same people in a situation where they feel the need to evacuate? Freewasy turn into a Mad Max parking lot in a matter of minutes or hours. I thought long and hard about evacuating Los Angeles when I lived there. Two choices - stealing or bribing your way onto a boat or motorcycles. So you can drive between cars in the blocked freeways.

But imagine driving past miles of inner city families parked on the freeway. You have maybe 20 minutes before people start freaking out about their own safety or that of their children. And suddenly your well equipped ass (backpack, correct clothing etc etc) on a free moving motorcycle becomes a huge target.

I am still convinced considering the population, the massive numbers, and the hours and miles of travel it would take just to get thru 25 million people in a traffic jam - that you would eventually get shot at. I mean that city can't even hold it together during political marches or demonstrations.

A real disaster would turn into a scene out of Mad Max - easily!

And most medium to large sized cities in America would to. Especially considering the child in harm factor.



I used to work tangent to Emergency Management as a GIS tech for the joint Sheriff/EMS dispatch with my county for 8 years, and did the disaster response ordering and inventory control ahead of hurricanes with my second job for a major grocer for 10 years. I look and sound like an idiot to normal people when the topic comes up, but I've mostly set up for sheltering in place unless there's a major industrial accident involving toxic or radioactive materials, civil unrest, or an actual war war. I can't discuss specific scenarios without outing myself in my current job, but we had nonspecific threats we were getting briefed on two years ago during the fall and I had friends on the west coast telling me if anything happened, I grab what I can, get in my car and don't stop except for gas until I get to the valley. I kept telling them I wouldn't get further than a mile because the highway I live near would be a log jam and I wasn't going to bother. They thought I was insane.
Ya. There's no getting out of the LA basin without a boat, plane or motorcycle. 
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

majorhavoc

Quote from: Moab on September 20, 2026, 05:47:17 AM
Quote from: Crimson_Phoenix on September 20, 2026, 02:58:17 AM
Quote from: Moab on September 20, 2026, 02:19:39 AM
Quote from: Crimson_Phoenix on September 19, 2026, 11:53:22 PMI don't know if it's true, and it's certainly outdated, but I had heard even through the 1980s if there was a real exchange expected ahead of time, the US weighed considering they wouldn't tell anyone and just let it run its course because telling anybody at all would cause more deaths in a panic as the highways jammed and render evacuating pointless.  :eek1:
I think that is probably a very legitimate concern on the part of government and emergency response. And wouldn't be surprised if that tactic of misinformation played out.

[snip]

A real disaster would turn into a scene out of Mad Max - easily!

And most medium to large sized cities in America would to. Especially considering the child in harm factor.



 I kept telling them I wouldn't get further than a mile because the highway I live near would be a log jam and I wasn't going to bother. They thought I was insane.
Ya. There's no getting out of the LA basin without a boat, plane or motorcycle.
Well we all knew that from the Roland Emmerich's 2012 - the most highly realistic disaster movie of all time.


A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk