Undead Forums of ZS

Prepping Tools and Gear Discussions (incl. reviews) => Weapons and Blades => Edged Weapons/Tools => Topic started by: ZombieDeath on September 24, 2026, 01:01:54 PM

Title: Found this at a second hand store
Post by: ZombieDeath on September 24, 2026, 01:01:54 PM
A while back, I was browsing the housewares section of a thrift store—an area I always check for good cast iron, camping cookware, and similar gear. While rummaging through a bin of kitchen knives, I stumbled across this piece. It has no maker's marks and appears to be handmade, but it holds a great edge and has a nice weight and balance to it. I haven't put it through any rigorous testing yet, but based on light tasks around the house, I'm very pleased with my $1.09 investment. Does anyone have any insight into what this might be?
Title: Re: Found this at a second hand store
Post by: DarkAxel on September 24, 2026, 03:32:54 PM
I ran the picture through ChatGPT and here's what it says: 

Can you tell me anything about this knife? Can it be identified to a maker?


Yes. From the photograph, I can narrow it down considerably, but I don't see enough identifying detail to confidently name the maker yet.
What I can tell from the photo
It appears to be a large fixed-blade knife, probably a utility/combat/survival pattern:
The combination of a blackened blade, black handle, riveted scales, and serrated section makes me think it is probably from the military/survival/tactical knife family, rather than a traditional hunting knife.
One interesting comparison is the older E.K. (John Ek) knives. Their designs included full-tang spear-point blades, black micarta handles, multiple brass fasteners, and military/survival variants.  However, your knife does not look sufficiently like the classic E.K. patterns for me to call it one from this photograph alone.
The biggest clue will be the other side of the blade
I don't see a readable maker's mark, logo, model number, or inscription in your photograph. If there is one, it may simply be lost in the dark finish.
Could you take a few more pictures? Particularly:
If you give me those, I can compare the construction and markings against specific makers and models. The handle/guard/blade combination is distinctive enough that I think there's a reasonable chance we can get it down to a particular model or manufacturer.
Title: Re: Found this at a second hand store
Post by: 12_Gauge_Chimp on September 24, 2026, 04:19:34 PM
Google seems to think this knife is possibly an older Ontario (Old Hickory), Case or a Japanese import outdoors knife from the 1960s to the 1980s.

Given the lack of makers mark, narrowing down an exact brand is going to be tough. There's also a chance it could be a kit knife that someone built years ago.
Title: Re: Found this at a second hand store
Post by: majorhavoc on September 24, 2026, 04:44:29 PM
Quote from: DarkAxel on September 24, 2026, 03:32:54 PMI ran the picture through ChatGPT and here's what it says:

Can you tell me anything about this knife? Can it be identified to a maker?

[snip]
Even though it couldn't make a positive ID, I'm impressed by the depth of ChatGPT's analysis. 

I, for one, welcome our new AI overlords.  :icon_crazy:
Title: Re: Found this at a second hand store
Post by: Moab on September 25, 2026, 12:49:43 AM
Looks kind of like a nicer Japanese gardening knife. Pics are kind of dark. 
Title: Re: Found this at a second hand store
Post by: 12_Gauge_Chimp on September 25, 2026, 10:37:35 AM
Quote from: Moab on September 25, 2026, 12:49:43 AMLooks kind of like a nicer Japanese gardening knife. Pics are kind of dark.

Kind of narrow to be a Hori Hori knife, isn't it ?

I've only ever seen the wide ones, but a narrow blade one like this isn't outside the realm of possibility.
Title: Re: Found this at a second hand store
Post by: Moab on September 25, 2026, 04:28:34 PM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on September 25, 2026, 10:37:35 AM
Quote from: Moab on September 25, 2026, 12:49:43 AMLooks kind of like a nicer Japanese gardening knife. Pics are kind of dark.

Kind of narrow to be a Hori Hori knife, isn't it ?

I've only ever seen the wide ones, but a narrow blade one like this isn't outside the realm of possibility.
Unmarked it reads inexpensive consumer knife of some sort. 
Title: Re: Found this at a second hand store
Post by: 12_Gauge_Chimp on September 25, 2026, 05:17:06 PM
Quote from: Moab on September 25, 2026, 04:28:34 PM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on September 25, 2026, 10:37:35 AM
Quote from: Moab on September 25, 2026, 12:49:43 AMLooks kind of like a nicer Japanese gardening knife. Pics are kind of dark.

Kind of narrow to be a Hori Hori knife, isn't it ?

I've only ever seen the wide ones, but a narrow blade one like this isn't outside the realm of possibility.
Unmarked it reads inexpensive consumer knife of some sort.

That's a good point.

Old Hickory would've marked the handle, but it could've worn down over the years or been replaced at some point. Likewise with Case on the blade.

I'm leaning more towards it being one of those inexpensive Japanese import utility knives from the 1960s to the 1980s.
Title: Re: Found this at a second hand store
Post by: Moab on September 26, 2026, 05:01:38 AM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on September 25, 2026, 05:17:06 PM
Quote from: Moab on September 25, 2026, 04:28:34 PM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on September 25, 2026, 10:37:35 AM
Quote from: Moab on September 25, 2026, 12:49:43 AMLooks kind of like a nicer Japanese gardening knife. Pics are kind of dark.

Kind of narrow to be a Hori Hori knife, isn't it ?

I've only ever seen the wide ones, but a narrow blade one like this isn't outside the realm of possibility.
Unmarked it reads inexpensive consumer knife of some sort.

That's a good point.

Old Hickory would've marked the handle, but it could've worn down over the years or been replaced at some point. Likewise with Case on the blade.

I'm leaning more towards it being one of those inexpensive Japanese import utility knives from the 1960s to the 1980s.
Do you remember the Ginsu chef knife? Lol! It was an infomercial back in the 80s. I still have one. I've abused the shit out of it for decades. And it's still going. Lmao! Terrible knife. Just serrated and plastic handle. But I've trimmed trees and sliced meat with it. 
Title: Re: Found this at a second hand store
Post by: majorhavoc on September 26, 2026, 06:44:54 AM
Quote from: Moab on September 26, 2026, 05:01:38 AMDo you remember the Ginsu chef knife? Lol! It was an infomercial back in the 80s. I still have one. I've abused the shit out of it for decades. And it's still going. Lmao! Terrible knife. Just serrated and plastic handle. But I've trimmed trees and sliced meat with it.
But wait - there's more! Order by midnight tonight and we'll include the Spiral-izer at no extra charge! Turns ordinary potatoes into gourmet, restaurant-quality edible garnishes with ease! Sure to impress your dinner guests! Supplies are limited, so order fast. Operators are standing by!

No, I have absolutely no recollection of the Ginsu knife.  :clownshoes:
Title: Re: Found this at a second hand store
Post by: Rednex on September 26, 2026, 07:33:52 AM
Not sure if i gave them to my sister or not when moving but, had the Ginsu and the 6 pack of Ginsu steak knives that went with it.

For the OP's knife  take a file to the spin ( not in the "serrations/saw" but in front of that) see if the file skates or dig in to check hardness. If it skates at least you will know who ever made it heat treated it  ok. If the exposed steel from the file,or edge rust it's a carbon steel. 

Title: Re: Found this at a second hand store
Post by: Moab on September 26, 2026, 08:17:38 AM
Quote from: majorhavoc on September 26, 2026, 06:44:54 AM
Quote from: Moab on September 26, 2026, 05:01:38 AMDo you remember the Ginsu chef knife? Lol! It was an infomercial back in the 80s. I still have one. I've abused the shit out of it for decades. And it's still going. Lmao! Terrible knife. Just serrated and plastic handle. But I've trimmed trees and sliced meat with it.
But wait - there's more! Order by midnight tonight and we'll include the Spiral-izer at no extra charge! Turns ordinary potatoes into gourmet, restaurant-quality edible garnishes with ease! Sure to impress your dinner guests! Supplies are limited, so order fast. Operators are standing by!

No, I have absolutely no recollection of the Ginsu knife.  :clownshoes:
"It slices! It dices! It makes Julian fries!" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I remember the Spiralizer too! 

I think I found that Ginsu chef knife at a yard sale in the 80s. And just for whatever reason always kept it. Even while moving dozens of times and to different states. But it is truly indestructible. I had it as a shop knife for years. Just beating the shit out of it. It's a terrible stainless serrated blade. But the serrations keep it as like a saw more than a knife. I've literally trimmed trees with it. And I don't know what plastic the handle is made from? But even one of my dogs chewed shitmout of it years ago. And I just sanded the teeth marks out. 

It reminds me of the early days of China importing stuff here. I bought a little two burner gas barbecue that was so over built. The shell was forged aluminum. No finding anything but sheet metal these days. Wish I had never thrown it away. I cooked for 30.peiole one night I'm that little barbecue. 

Or the original Hibachi barbecue I threw away. Found it ina dumpster. Cast iron. Impossible to find now.. just cheap sheet metal these days. 

There is something to be said for repairing and refurbishing old things. Alot of them are just better.