Undead Forums of ZS

Prepping Tools and Gear Discussions (incl. reviews) => Transportation => Topic started by: NT2C on March 31, 2025, 01:15:05 PM

Title: Off-Roading CHAT
Post by: NT2C on March 31, 2025, 01:15:05 PM
I can haz permit to off-road!  :awesome:

(https://ufozs.com/smf/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FkZu6TZI.jpg&hash=0a3f4ec80958a2422a5145fa58661bd7b4035489) (https://imgur.com/kZu6TZI)
Title: Re: Off-Roading CHAT
Post by: 12_Gauge_Chimp on March 31, 2025, 02:52:54 PM
I think the only time in my life I went off-roading was when I was in high school and it was during my failed hunting trip with my dad.

There was also the time when I was like 4 or 5 and I went with my brothers as they hunted snakes on a neighbor's farm and we took an old Army Jeep that belonged to a friend of our dad.
Title: Re: Off-Roading CHAT
Post by: NT2C on September 05, 2026, 04:41:37 PM
Well, it's getting towards that time again, time to shop for tires for both vehicles.  My Jeep will be 10 years old next year, and the tires on it will be 8 years old with about 50k miles (70k tread warranty).  While still well inside safe operation limits, they're getting down towards the bottom of offroad or heavy snow capability (I have chains if it's really bad snow).

The wife's two year old Honda Pilot Touring AWD came with mediocre tires (Bridgestone Alenza A/S Sport) that have probably the lowest resistance to hydroplaning of any tires I've driven on, even though Google's AI thinks they're good, and very marginal snow capability.  I've hated them since day one.

I'm planning on a set of five Falken Wildpeak A/T4W tires for the Jeep (and a new/used rim for the spare) to allow for five tire wheel rotations.

Not sure what to get on the Pilot.  I'm leaning toward Falken tires for it too, the Wildpeak A/T Trail tires to be specific.

Thoughts?

Edit: Wife green lighted the full purchase and install, around $3,500
Title: Re: Off-Roading CHAT
Post by: EBuff75 on September 05, 2026, 07:57:55 PM
Can't really speak to those.  I've gone with General Grabber ATx on both of my last two Suburbans.  They've been good tires - quiet, good traction, and seem to wear pretty well.  I don't put a lot of miles on my vehicles, so it's not like I've got a ton of miles on them.  Nor do I do any real off-roading with them.  They're mainly for the winter weather here in Michigan and have worked well for that.