Undead Forums of ZS

Prepping Tools and Gear Discussions (incl. reviews) => Communications => Amateur Radio (Ham) => Topic started by: NT2C on September 09, 2024, 08:35:28 PM

Title: New VGC VR-N76 (Oh, what have I gotten myself into?)
Post by: NT2C on September 09, 2024, 08:35:28 PM
Setting up a new radio is always a challenge if you're unfamiliar with the model/brand.

If it's an APRS rig that greatly increases the complexity.

If it's a Chinese radio things will be "off".

If it does not come with English manuals it can seem hopeless.

If it cannot use a programming cable from any brand, now you're approaching ludicrous difficulty.

If CHIRP never heard of it, kiss your sanity goodbye.

If it can only be programmed either by the keypad or by a cellphone app you'll need padding for your walls.

If it can only be programmed "live", be prepared for complaints from local radio users and maybe the FCC.



If all the above applies:

Congratulations on your new VGC VR-N76
Title: Re: New VGC VR-N76 (Oh, what have I gotten myself into?)
Post by: NT2C on September 09, 2024, 10:38:24 PM
First oddball "feature", the PTT is latching.  As in, push once to key up, push a second time to unkey.   :o
Title: Re: New VGC VR-N76 (Oh, what have I gotten myself into?)
Post by: airballrad on September 18, 2026, 12:08:43 PM
I have the BTech UV-PRO, which is the same hardware with their own branding and firmware. It has quickly become a favorite of mine because of the versatility for my use cases. Because I am in close proximity to voice repeaters, Packet RMS gateways, and APRS stations from home, this one radio paired with my phone lets me engage in a number of nerdy endeavors without leaving my computer desk and going upstairs to my ham shack.

I can also quickly attach it to a mag mount antenna and hand mic to make it a 7-watt mobile station for the same activities. It's neat!
Title: Re: New VGC VR-N76 (Oh, what have I gotten myself into?)
Post by: NT2C on September 18, 2026, 01:45:23 PM
Quote from: airballrad on September 18, 2026, 12:08:43 PMI have the BTech UV-PRO, which is the same hardware with their own branding and firmware. It has quickly become a favorite of mine because of the versatility for my use cases. Because I am in close proximity to voice repeaters, Packet RMS gateways, and APRS stations from home, this one radio paired with my phone lets me engage in a number of nerdy endeavors without leaving my computer desk and going upstairs to my ham shack.

I can also quickly attach it to a mag mount antenna and hand mic to make it a 7-watt mobile station for the same activities. It's neat!
I've had one of the VGC VR-N76 ht's since they came out.  They're quirky, but very functional.  I found I prefer GPS capability built into the radio though, hence my collection of Radtels
Title: Re: New VGC VR-N76 (Oh, what have I gotten myself into?)
Post by: airballrad on September 19, 2026, 02:10:34 PM
I have not found myself using the built-in GPS on the UV-PRO much, but then I often just use it as a KISS TNC and have my phone do all the talking through the radio. There is an app out now on many platforms called HT Commander that is compatible with all of these hardware twins, and it seems to open up just about every function that the hardware can support. It's fun to play with.

Quote from: NT2C on September 18, 2026, 01:45:23 PMI've had one of the VGC VR-N76 ht's since they came out.  They're quirky, but very functional.  I found I prefer GPS capability built into the radio though, hence my collection of Radtels

Title: Re: New VGC VR-N76 (Oh, what have I gotten myself into?)
Post by: NT2C on September 19, 2026, 03:40:44 PM
Quote from: airballrad on September 19, 2026, 02:10:34 PMI have not found myself using the built-in GPS on the UV-PRO much, but then I often just use it as a KISS TNC and have my phone do all the talking through the radio. There is an app out now on many platforms called HT Commander that is compatible with all of these hardware twins, and it seems to open up just about every function that the hardware can support. It's fun to play with.

Quote from: NT2C on September 18, 2026, 01:45:23 PMI've had one of the VGC VR-N76 ht's since they came out.  They're quirky, but very functional.  I found I prefer GPS capability built into the radio though, hence my collection of Radtels


I'll have to look for that app.  Sounds familiar, like I may already have it somewhere on one of my phones.