Touring Packing List - Now With Review

Started by Uomo Senza Nome, August 12, 2023, 11:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uomo Senza Nome

I am going on a two week tour through the Mid/ South West with some club members launching next week. This is what I am taking with me. We will either be staying with other club members or at hotels along the route and eating in restaurants and with other club members while on the road. There is no planned camping.

States to be visited include: Arkansas (Black Hills Tour), Texas (mostly Central and North), Arizona, Utah, Colorado (up to 14K'), Louisiana, Oklahoma and New Mexico

Worn/ Equipped
1.                Modular Helmet w/BT
2.                Riding Jacket and trousers w/ thermal and water proof liners in back storage
3.                Riding Gloves
4.                Boots
5.                Cut
6.                Shorts
7.                T-shirt
8.                Underwear
9.                Boot Socks
10.            Sunglasses
11.            Ear plugs
12.            Hydration bladder pack
13.            IFAK w/ Shears, SOFT-T, Bandage
14.            Compact Pistol w/ spare magazine / holster
15.            Passport Card
16.            Driver's license
17.            CCP
18.            Insurance Card
19.            Medical Insurance Card
20.            Vehicle registration document
21.            Emergency USD
22.            Bank cards
23.            Leatherman Multi Tool
24.            Ankana multi-pen

Mounted
1.      Mobile phone w/ mount
2.      Go Pro w/ Mount (throttle side)
3.      Driver Seat Back

Passenger Seat:

Aviator Kit Bag
1.                Riding Gloves (Sp)
2.                Cargo Pants X 2
3.                Shorts X 3
4.                T-Shirt X 7
5.                Underwear X7
6.                Boot Socks X 7
7.                Beach Sandals
8.                Athletic Shoes
9.                Polo Shirt
10.            Sunglasses (Sp)
11.            Lightweight Riding jacket
12.            Laundry Bag
13.            Wet Bag
14.            Toiletry Kit (Toothbrush/floss and paste, Soap/ shower gel/ shampoo, Razor, Hand sanitizer)
15.            Fleece Jacket
16.            Neck Gaiter

Panier OKSS
1.      Ear plugs (x20)
2.      Cooler bag (w/ Drinks)
3.      Insect Repellent
4.      Sun Block
5.      10 X .5l water bottles
6.      Snacks
7.      Windex/ microfiber towels

Center Top Box (Secured)
Electronics Case             
1.                Mobile Phone/helmet; cables and charging block
2.                Go Pro Accessory Bag w/ Mounts, Set of memory cards
3.                IPAD and charger
4.                Jump box w/ Compressor & USB charger
5.      EDC Tool Case
a.      Gerber Multi tool
b.      Benchmade Folder
c.      Screwdriver multi tool
d.      Gerber Mini-pry/ boxcutter/ strand cutter
e.      C3 Flashlight
f.      Powerbank w/ cable
g.      Oowie kit

Bowie Knife
Compact Carbine w/ spare magazines
Owner's Manual
Fold Up Chair
Tuner

Panier KSS
Emergency Bag
1.                Emergency Sleeping Bag
2.                Poncho w/ 550 cord precut
3.                Para cord
4.                Towel
5.                Water Purification Bottle w/ straw, filter
6.                Fire kit
7.                Emergency food

Tool zip up case
1.                Pliers
2.                150mm Crescent Wrench
3.                Hex Set
4.                ¼" Drive Socket Set
5.                12v Tester, Electrical Tape, wire brush
6.                Flashlight/ battery
7.                TP Gauge
8.                Driver w/screwdriver set

Adventure First aid kit
Foot pump w/Gauge
Rags
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid. "

"There's plain few problems can't be solved with a little sweat and hard work."

flybynight

I would throw in a tarp in case you wanted to wear the poncho while needing shelter
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

Z.O.R.G.

I would suggest some sort of commo other than a cell phone.  (I am Zombie Ops. Radio Guy after all.)  

If someone you're going with is a ham, you're all set.  If not, a handheld CB radio (with optional wire antenna to supplement the rubber duck dummy load) will give you some decent HF coverage.  I can give you details on an external antenna if you like.  For UHF, GMRS licenses are easy to get (no test required, just $$).  There are many options for that - Blister pack radios are typically 0.5 watts with fixed antennas, and you don't need a license for the FRS frequencies.  Actual GRS radios re typically ~5.0 watts for a handheld ~50 watts for a mobile and you should be able to use an external antenna on them.

Uomo Senza Nome

I have a small emergency poncho in the unlikely event I would need a rain coat, instead of simply the wearing riding suit with waterproof liner. It's in a cigarette pack size survival kit with a whistle, matches and a few other items I will probably never use.

I know at least two of the other guys have CB radios mounted on their bikes, that are soft wired to their helmets. My biggest concern is a catastrophic accident out in the middle of nowhere with no cell coverage. A lot of the places we are planning on going will have no cell coverage at all. Not being a radio guy, will a Ham radio be useful in such a scenario? I have a marine radio for my sailboat but I know I can call locally for help on that. 

Just realized I failed to include any meds. I probably would have thought of it when I was packing my toiletries but you never know.

flybynight

Quote from: Uomo Senza Nome on August 13, 2023, 10:19:44 AMI have a small emergency poncho in the unlikely event I would need a rain coat, instead of simply the wearing riding suit with waterproof liner. It's in a cigarette pack size survival kit with a whistle, matches and a few other items I will probably never use.

I know at least two of the other guys have CB radios mounted on their bikes, that are soft wired to their helmets. My biggest concern is a catastrophic accident out in the middle of nowhere with no cell coverage. A lot of the places we are planning on going will have no cell coverage at all. Not being a radio guy, will a Ham radio be useful in such a scenario? I have a marine radio for my sailboat but I know I can call locally for help on that. 

Just realized I failed to include any meds. I probably would have thought of it when I was packing my toiletries but you never know.

Some kind of Sat phone  or a Garmin InReach

Moab

You want the same radio as your friends. So cb. Would not be my first choice. Ask if they have gmrs radios. They have strongest wattage without needing a license.

Is there reciprocal concealed carry in every state, county, city you are traveling through for the pistol? Same for the knives you are carrying. Knife laws are harder to figure out. Maybe impossible. I would leave the bowie knife at home. Unless you absolutely need it.

I would carry an actual hiking tarp. Not a big heavy blue tarp. But a lightweight 8x8 or 10x10. Just something nylon. They aren't expensive in Amazon. If one of you breaks down. You may be standing in the rain for some time. And in alot of those states there are long distances with no services. At least one of your party should carry a shelter you all can share.

Also what about food and water?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Z.O.R.G.

Ham radio will defiantly reach out and touch someone from the middle of nowhere.  They'll be other hams, but they should have access to land lines.  You need to study and pass an exam (I'd suggest 2 - both Technician and General for the privileges.)  There're a couple of 7-year-olds in my AO that have passed both. 

I'd suggest a Yaesu FT-817/818 if you can find one used.  That will set you back about $400-700, depending on how good of a deal you can find.  I've a post in "Communications" about NVIS antennas.  Set-up correctly you'd have a range of ~700 miles on 5 watts.  The radio is the size of a CB and you could fit the antenna and feed line in a cargo pocket if you use small gauge wire.

Uomo Senza Nome

QuoteIs there reciprocal concealed carry in every state, county, city you are traveling through for the pistol? Same for the knives you are carrying. Knife laws are harder to figure out. Maybe impossible. I would leave the bowie knife at home. Unless you absolutely need it.
My permit is good in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico subject to local restrictions such as schools, Federal Court Houses and other such places I don't plan on visiting. The Bowie will be locked up in the center trunk box with the long gun as noted. This appears to conform with all laws. The only issue I could foresee with firearms was with the magazine limits in Colorado. Therefore all magazines are 15 rounds or less.

Most knife laws involve concealed carry, carry at schools, carry by minors etc. None of which apply to me. There may be a local law but since it will be locked in the trunk box most of the time I imagine I will be ok. Most states (like Colorado) give safe passage to travelers over local ordinances.

QuoteAlso what about food and water?
As noted, planning on 5 liters of bottled water a day plus the camel back and other beverages. Water goes near as quick as gas on the road. The plan is to get a large case of water every day and do a break to top everyone off. Snacks are high energy stuff like trail mix, mixed nuts etc. Probably keep 2-3lbs on hand at a time, with a 1lb package in the emergency bag. It's around 2K calories a pound.

Uomo Senza Nome

Quote from: Z.O.R.G. on August 13, 2023, 12:51:28 PMHam radio will defiantly reach out and touch someone from the middle of nowhere.  They'll be other hams, but they should have access to land lines.  You need to study and pass an exam (I'd suggest 2 - both Technician and General for the privileges.)  There're a couple of 7-year-olds in my AO that have passed both.

I'd suggest a Yaesu FT-817/818 if you can find one used.  That will set you back about $400-700, depending on how good of a deal you can find.  I've a post in "Communications" about NVIS antennas.  Set-up correctly you'd have a range of ~700 miles on 5 watts.  The radio is the size of a CB and you could fit the antenna and feed line in a cargo pocket if you use small gauge wire.
I'll keep that in mind for next time. I Don't see me getting all that set up by Thursday night. I recall decades ago the Army had a RATELO system that could tie radio to a telephone call. Do civilians have such things these days?

Z.O.R.G.

Quote from: Uomo Senza Nome on August 13, 2023, 01:10:24 PMI'll keep that in mind for next time. I Don't see me getting all that set up by Thursday night. I recall decades ago the Army had a RATELO system that could tie radio to a telephone call. Do civilians have such things these days?

Yes, it's called "auto-patch" and is usually tied into VHF/UHF repeaters.  It's less popular now because of cell phones.  If you can reach a repeater, you can also call for help on it.  HF may be old school, but it's the only thing that reliably gets you more than line of sight (~50 miles terrain dependent) without a relay or a satellite.  

Uomo Senza Nome

QuoteSome kind of Sat phone  or a Garmin InReach
Actually considered this. Or perhaps a Starlink terminal for straight VOIP. Trying to figure how to justify the $1800/yr for it.

Moab

Quote from: Uomo Senza Nome on August 13, 2023, 01:02:51 PM
QuoteIs there reciprocal concealed carry in every state, county, city you are traveling through for the pistol? Same for the knives you are carrying. Knife laws are harder to figure out. Maybe impossible. I would leave the bowie knife at home. Unless you absolutely need it.
My permit is good in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico subject to local restrictions such as schools, Federal Court Houses and other such places I don't plan on visiting. The Bowie will be locked up in the center trunk box with the long gun as noted. This appears to conform with all laws. The only issue I could foresee with firearms was with the magazine limits in Colorado. Therefore all magazines are 15 rounds or less.

Most knife laws involve concealed carry, carry at schools, carry by minors etc. None of which apply to me. There may be a local law but since it will be locked in the trunk box most of the time I imagine I will be ok. Most states (like Colorado) give safe passage to travelers over local ordinances.

QuoteAlso what about food and water?
As noted, planning on 5 liters of bottled water a day plus the camel back and other beverages. Water goes near as quick as gas on the road. The plan is to get a large case of water every day and do a break to top everyone off. Snacks are high energy stuff like trail mix, mixed nuts etc. Probably keep 2-3lbs on hand at a time, with a 1lb package in the emergency bag. It's around 2K calories a pound.

You have a concealed carry permit for the entire US? I have never heard of such a thing. 
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

EBuff75

What about some TP or Dude Wipes?  You never know when you'll be caught short and need to visit the little boy's bush at the side of the road somewhere!  :eek1:
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Uomo Senza Nome

Quote from: EBuff75 on August 13, 2023, 03:58:41 PMWhat about some TP or Dude Wipes?  You never know when you'll be caught short and need to visit the little boy's bush at the side of the road somewhere!  :eek1:
That's not a bad idea, given road food being what it is. Added, JIC.

Uomo Senza Nome

QuoteYou have a concealed carry permit for the entire US? I have never heard of such a thing. 
Yes, it is unfortunate that more people are not eligible, but most people aren't willing to do what it takes to be eligible.

Moab

Quote from: Uomo Senza Nome on August 13, 2023, 04:27:35 PM
QuoteYou have a concealed carry permit for the entire US? I have never heard of such a thing.
Yes, it is unfortunate that more people are not eligible, but most people aren't willing to do what it takes to be eligible.
Ok. You have to elaborate. I honestly don't think such a thing exists. Unless your a federal agent of some sort. 

Uomo Senza Nome

Quote from: Moab on August 13, 2023, 04:36:37 PM
Ok. You have to elaborate. I honestly don't think such a thing exists. Unless your a federal agent of some sort.
Clearly I don't have to, but I will. I am definitely not a federal agent of any kind, but I am covered under LEOSA.

flybynight

Quote from: Uomo Senza Nome on August 13, 2023, 01:23:48 PM
QuoteSome kind of Sat phone  or a Garmin InReach
Actually considered this. Or perhaps a Starlink terminal for straight VOIP. Trying to figure how to justify the $1800/yr for it.
I believe the Garmin subscription can be turned off when not being used

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: Uomo Senza Nome on August 13, 2023, 04:40:27 PM
Quote from: Moab on August 13, 2023, 04:36:37 PM
Clearly I don't have to, but I will. I am definitely not a federal agent of any kind, but I am covered under LEOSA.

So retired LEO of some sort ?

I've heard of retired LEO's being able to carry nationwide, but I forgot what exactly it was called that they qualified to do so under.

Uomo Senza Nome

QuoteI've heard of retired LEO's being able to carry nationwide, but I forgot what exactly it was called that they qualified to do so under.
It covers, active, retired, part time, reserve and LE auxiliary provided they meet the requirements of having/ had powers of arrest are authorized by the employing agency to carry, currently qualified, sober etc.  It is a pretty long list of qualifiers, detailed in depth background check, references, poly, pysch exam, drug tests, physical exam, public service etc. that most people aren't really interested in doing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk