Prepping In Small Spaces (Apt.s, trailers, tiny homes)

Started by Lambykins, June 08, 2021, 05:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPMalloy

Quote from: sheddi on June 20, 2021, 03:43:46 PMThis is waaay off-topic for the thread and I apologise to anyone reading this in future weeks/month/years.
Quote from: Lambykins on June 11, 2021, 05:07:43 PM
Quote from: sheddi on June 11, 2021, 12:48:58 PM
Quote from: RoneKiln on June 10, 2021, 10:46:43 PMI cannot imagine replacing my copy of Watership Down with a kindle version.
Actual fact: Watership Down is a real place and I live close enough that I can walk there, from my home, and back in a day.
And yes, it has rabbits. Plus seasonal sheep.
I demand pictures of the actual Watership Down. Bonus points if there's a bunny in the pics!  :smiley_clap:
No bunnies but here are some photos I took today. I confess I drove most of the way there, only walking the last mile or so.

This is the footpath up to Watership Down. The soil is thin and the underlying rock is a mixture of chalk and flint. You can see the white rocks amongst the mud. It isn't obvious in the photo but this is a steady uphill climb.

Taken near here looking NW.

Turns out there was a cross-country marathon being run and Watership Down was on the route. The local HAMs were providing comms support. There was a realy station / repeater near the highest point of the hill.

Taken near here looking SW.

The cloud base was low and Watership Down was shrouded in mist. The Down is mostly managed for training race horses; those are steeplechase jumps you can see with the square cut trees.

Taken from the same place as the previous photo, looking E.

There is a tree planted on the Down to comemorate the book and its author Richard Adams. I think its a beech tree.

The tree has a small plaque attached to its protective fence (the fence stops sheep and deer eating the tree).

Tree and plaque here, photos taken looking S.

Another shot of the Down showing various horse racing features. It does leave the grass cropped short and probsbly suits rabbits.

Taken near here, looking SE.
AWESOME!!! :smiley_clap:

RoneKiln

Quote from: sheddi on June 20, 2021, 03:43:46 PM
This is waaay off-topic for the thread and I apologise to anyone reading this in future weeks/month/years.

We demanded it, and you are our hero for obliging us.

Or at least you're my hero for obliging us. Anyone else complaining can meet me in the alley out back.  :smiley_hammer:
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Lambykins

Watership Down looks gorgeous!
Thanks for getting the pics.
Would love to visit there!
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

I live in a crowded multi level apartment building. I got nothing like those sweet pics to look at. Too bad too. 😀

And speaking of crowded apartment prepping, pandemics aren't a bad prep idea.

As we're in one right now I found people who've given good thinking to air purification in small spaces like small apartments.

Some pretty 👍 thinking.

I write about it (with links and pictures) Here.

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Quote from: Lambykins on June 09, 2021, 11:48:24 AMI'm on the second floor, which means I have to cart everything up an outside staircase.
So, I buy things in small quantities (no need for my neighbors to see me hauling in 45 cans of corned beef hash!) and carry them up the stairs.
I know this prob well and am dealing with it once again as I need to consider rising costs, short supplies of some things in stores now with surely more of this is on its way from world circumstances looming, as well as Natl State cyber war, actual war, and civil unrest. Remember when it was merely a horrible death with tubes down your throat to worry about? Good times. Now it's every forking that can go sideways world wide is going sideways.

And I'm on an upper floor too, though with elevators which is physically easier but 25-40 pairs of eyes can be watching, questions about 'why', and everyone knows where you live.

Circumspection becomes paramount.

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Quote from: Lambykins on June 09, 2021, 11:48:24 AMAfter I finish painting the apartment, I'll post some pictures to show how I conceal a lot of my supplies.

I would like to see them. Then again we may have reached to time we need to be getting serious about not sharing details publicly I guess? I know I had concerns about some ZS nefarious member scanning threads to find what was where for easy pickings in the neighborhood were bad to go to worse. We've reached worse. What's left is sideways.

Have begun shopping and bringing in at night to try to miss as many as I can. Thing here though is it only takes one nosey to put your business in the gossip pipeline.

I did well for the pandemic because I started gathering the first of Feb when on the whole the general public was relatively oblivious to what was coming so I was just saying there was a sale and no one blinked. And totally forgot once their panic, or denial, hit the fan.

That's not gonna work this time since we're in the beginning throes of world meltdown. They'll remember seeing me hauling in way too much stuff and they'll come knocking.

I've already been approached for batteries and rolls of quarters.

It's a conundrum. I want to help but not be recognized as a plan ahead-er they can rely on or, much worse, take from.

fuuuuuuuuuuudge

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

I did find this barrel thing though that looks useful.

Crimson_Phoenix

I'm back into apartment living after I took on a new job almost 2 and a half years ago and having to rewire my brain for different needs vs. when I lived at my parents' place the last decade before. Dad and I had most of our basics down because we lived in hurricane, tornado, and flood territory, and we were set up to shelter in place unless it was going to flood or the hurricane was above a Category 2. now I live in North Phoenix and the monsoon storms aren't what they were when I was a kid growing up in the 80s and 90s.

All that said, what are some recommended must-have tools, ways to cook without power (we don't have gas here and BBQs are banned), pantry prep for one, etc. I have a storage shelf with canned and dry stuff, but I'm a little short on water storage if I have to go longer than 2-3 weeks. I did find the local WinCo Foods by me stocks 5 gal water containers like we'd use for camping for about $12-18, as well as half gallon and gallon sized screwtop airtight storage containers for dry goods like rice, beans, pasta, etc. I may see about picking up a few here and there when I can spare the money.

Blackouts are rare here since most of the valley went to buried cable back in the 80s and 90s to prevent most storm damage. I took my 500W battery backup system with me when I moved and have a 100W and 28W solar array for keeping my small devices charged. It doesn't get cold enough in my unit for winter to be intolerable without the heat on, but summer temps indoors get upwards of 86-89F when the AC is shut off, which can be a bit much even with low humidity.

I do want to get a small hand saw and hatchet to collect small wood and kindling to cook with my camp setup, should the need arise, but that may still be a no go. Container gardening is allowed, but everything I bring upstairs has to leave with me when I move. Security concerns are beyond my control, since my contract forbids me from modifying my windows or doorway. Even if I drive in heavier duty screws to the striker plate, I have a large picture window right next to my front door, which is my only way in or out of this place. The other alternative is dropping out my bedroom window onto pavement two stories down, which isn't much of a backup plan.
Nowhere is a very big place to get lost.

majorhavoc

Quote from: Crimson_Phoenix on April 16, 2024, 11:49:26 PMI'm back into apartment living after I took on a new job almost 2 and a half years ago and having to rewire my brain for different needs vs. when I lived at my parents' place the last decade before.
[snip]
I have a large picture window right next to my front door, which is my only way in or out of this place. The other alternative is dropping out my bedroom window onto pavement two stories down, which isn't much of a backup plan.
You should at least consider a fire escape ladder.

A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

Lambykins

Quote from: majorhavoc on Yesterday at 05:33:00 AM
Quote from: Crimson_Phoenix on April 16, 2024, 11:49:26 PMI'm back into apartment living after I took on a new job almost 2 and a half years ago and having to rewire my brain for different needs vs. when I lived at my parents' place the last decade before.
[snip]
I have a large picture window right next to my front door, which is my only way in or out of this place. The other alternative is dropping out my bedroom window onto pavement two stories down, which isn't much of a backup plan.
You should at least consider a fire escape ladder.

Absolutely!
I had one when I  lived in the apartment. Not much of a financial investment and worth every penny in the event of a fire or other situation that makes exiting from a window necessary.
I left my ladder with my then roommate who took over the apartment. She was very grateful.
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

flybynight

Quote from: Crimson_Phoenix on April 16, 2024, 11:49:26 PMI'm back into apartment living after I took on a new job almost 2 and a half years ago and having to rewire my brain for different needs vs. when I lived at my parents' place the last decade before. Dad and I had most of our basics down because we lived in hurricane, tornado, and flood territory, and we were set up to shelter in place unless it was going to flood or the hurricane was above a Category 2. now I live in North Phoenix and the monsoon storms aren't what they were when I was a kid growing up in the 80s and 90s.
All that said, what are some recommended must-have tools, ways to cook without power (we don't have gas here and BBQs are banned), pantry prep for one, etc. I have a storage shelf with canned and dry stuff, but I'm a little short on water storage if I have to go longer than 2-3 weeks. I did find the local WinCo Foods by me stocks 5 gal water containers like we'd use for camping for about $12-18, as well as half gallon and gallon sized screwtop airtight storage containers for dry goods like rice, beans, pasta, etc. I may see about picking up a few here and there when I can spare the money.
Blackouts are rare here since most of the valley went to buried cable back in the 80s and 90s to prevent most storm damage. I took my 500W battery backup system with me when I moved and have a 100W and 28W solar array for keeping my small devices charged. It doesn't get cold enough in my unit for winter to be intolerable without the heat on, but summer temps indoors get upwards of 86-89F when the AC is shut off, which can be a bit much even with low humidity.
I do want to get a small hand saw and hatchet to collect small wood and kindling to cook with my camp setup, should the need arise, but that may still be a no go. Container gardening is allowed, but everything I bring upstairs has to leave with me when I move. Security concerns are beyond my control, since my contract forbids me from modifying my windows or doorway. Even if I drive in heavier duty screws to the striker plate, I have a large picture window right next to my front door, which is my only way in or out of this place. The other alternative is dropping out my bedroom window onto pavement two stories down, which isn't much of a backup plan.
QuoteBBQs are banned)
Say whaaat ?
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

majorhavoc

Quote from: flybynight on Yesterday at 07:39:05 AM
Quote from: Crimson_Phoenix on April 16, 2024, 11:49:26 PMI'm back into apartment living
QuoteBBQs are banned)
Say whaaat ?
:eek1:  That's gotta violate some UN Charter on Human Rights or sumthin.
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

Lambykins

For emergency cooking purposes...a Coleman Camp Stove and a couple of small propane tanks.
2 burner

Crimson_Phoenix

Quote from: majorhavoc on Yesterday at 07:44:53 AM
Quote from: flybynight on Yesterday at 07:39:05 AM
Quote from: Crimson_Phoenix on April 16, 2024, 11:49:26 PMI'm back into apartment living
QuoteBBQs are banned)
Say whaaat ?
:eek1:  That's gotta violate some UN Charter on Human Rights or sumthin.

It's cruel and unusual indeed. I like sausage, brisket, fajitas, quarter chickens, etc. etc. ETC.and sometimes I like to have company over.
Nowhere is a very big place to get lost.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk