Emergency Ufozs Comms?

Started by Moab, January 21, 2022, 01:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moab

Do we have anything set up for if the site went down? Facebook group? Signal app contacts list? Alternative forum? I set one up awhile ago. Was super easy.

Signal is fairly secure. But i have not used it alot. Its one of the top apps for this.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Raptor

Good question. I am not sure we have anything set up except mod emails. The Mods obviously have text contact with each other but yes we should have a fall back method of comms.
Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

12_Gauge_Chimp

Agreed. I think a fall back method of communication for the site would be a good idea.

Moab

Lets do some research.

But maybe a tiered system would work. Maybe an app an temp forum. And then mods can add people to a text list? Tjat way u dont have to give up your phone number if u dont want.

Textline is awesome. Ive used it alot. But something like signal with encryption would be better.

Maybe just a signal group we all sign into and leave up. In case something happens. And mods that could set up a one way text blast. Directing everyone where to go for additional comms. Like ifthe internet went down but cellular didnt?

Just thinking out loud here. Someone on the internet has undoubtedly researches this and come up with a plan.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Moab

Here i created a ufozs group on signal. Below is the link. But a mod or someone should approve this so it can be shared somehow with everyone. Maybe a one time admin email with our comms strategy and links to group chats, alt foruma etc...?

https://signal.group/#CjQKIJ-yebW27QU8hxUlzRR3a9JRaISBFjbGbyJhOPlMbN1YEhAMCj96m6ys-f0JGipyuWQs

NapalmMan67

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

NT2C

If the site went down I'd be pretty surprised (our hosting company has an outstanding record and better than 99.99% uptime) but if it did happen then the outage would likely affect most of the other ways of reaching each other.  Even if a terrorist attack were to take out the data center where our server is located, we have off-site backups that would be used to restore the site at a different data center, usually within 12 hours.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

flybynight

Quote from: NT2C on January 21, 2022, 05:31:46 PM
If the site went down I'd be pretty surprised (our hosting company has an outstanding record and better than 99.99% uptime) but if it did happen then the outage would likely affect most of the other ways of reaching each other.  Even if a terrorist attack were to take out the data center where our server is located, we have off-site backups that would be used to restore the site at a different data center, usually within 12 hours.

What about EMP attack at a national level? Thermo nuclear strikes at key data centers? You know ,pretty much what we are facing with a confrontation with Russia over Ukraine going full war? 
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

NT2C

Quote from: flybynight on January 22, 2022, 11:24:11 AM
Quote from: NT2C on January 21, 2022, 05:31:46 PM

What about EMP attack at a national level? Thermo nuclear strikes at key data centers? You know ,pretty much what we are facing with a confrontation with Russia over Ukraine going full war?
I'll send smoke signals, 'cause about the only thing you'll have left to receive any kind of signal will be the ol' Mk 1 Eyeball... If the nuke flash didn't burn 'em out.

Current Weather in My AO

flybynight

How about instead you and the other members who  are hams get together and show us a low cost set up so in the event of worst case we can keep in touch? Our membership stretches from sea to shining sea. It would benefit us all to know what is going on in Virginia, Iowa, Alabama, Texas, California and all the other places .

Something simple that even old dumb ass's like me can use

NT2C

Quote from: flybynight on January 22, 2022, 05:15:44 PM
How about instead you and the other members who  are hams get together and show us a low cost set up so in the event of worst case we can keep in touch? Our membership stretches from sea to shining sea. It would benefit us all to know what is going on in Virginia, Iowa, Alabama, Texas, California and all the other places .

Given your EMP scenario, ham gear will suffer the same fate as most other electronics not hardened against that. And, all my ham radios (except for two short range VHF/UHF rigs) are in Idaho.

Current Weather in My AO

SCBrian

My thoughts ramble with the scotch so take it for what it's worth...
I gotta agree with NT2C.  Things go Mushroom cloud, It'll be back to smoke signals unless you have stuff hardened or stored for that eventuality.  Most communication now a days crosses in to the internet.  Phones,  TV, etc.   

If it's sudden (EMP / Nuke) and something takes out the server farms, you'll likely lose phone service (landline and cellular), internet, TV...
You'd expect the Ham radios to function, but odds are that any EMP will fry most of those as well.  I wouldn't expect most modern radio stations to be able to continue to function due to the amount of 'technology' they now use.  Some old station broadcasting from old 1950's equipment, or a random pirate station may survive, but...

My hope is that if something happens it's slow or cyber.  In that scenario, I can imagine Ham radios being very useful.  And as trite as it sounds, the best option for that is picking up a ham license and learning how to do it, if you want to communicate. 

Another option would be sourcing a cheap multi band receiver and store it for the long haul in a Faraday type cage?   Cost is significantly cheaper and you don't need a license to practice... You could then at least HEAR what was going on, as long as unsecured comm's / Hams in other countries /  survivalists in their mountain bunkers / others were broadcasting. 

Possible do a combination of the above.  Get a technician license so you can broadcast.  Learn Morse code (NOTE: You do not need to know this anymore for a license ) and learn about long range CW communication...  A small low power CW transceiver can be stored next to the receiver you purchased above... 

A quick search of amazon shows receivers from $20(Tecsun? brand 10 channel) to $400 (Eaton Elite)
Following that CW kits start at ~$10 Pixie kits-if you can assemble your own to a few hundred depending on what you want...
So low end, you can get a very basic end of the world kit you can store in an static bag, faraday case, ammo can, trash can...  for <$50. 

As for the board? if the datacenter burned down, new ip's would likely start propagating in less than a day from a back up location and be back available. 
IIRC the difference (And NT2C can correct me) is that we are using an actual data center now, where before we were sitting on a machine in someones closet?    Or at least now we have 4 (I believe) admins that can contact and initiate tickets with the datacenter to troubleshoot. 

BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

NT2C

Currently, yes, we are in an actual data center with all the good stuff like redundant power and regular (twice daily) backups. Previously, I think we were in the trunk of a VW Golf using 4G LTE on the Chicago Loop.

Regarding post-apocalyptic radio comms there are two things to keep in mind:

• Whatever took out the regular comms will likely have lingering aftereffects for radio comms
  • If whatever took out the regular comms was the result of hostilities, any new transmitter coming online becomes a target, and military grade anti-radiation missiles don't play nice

Current Weather in My AO

flybynight

Quote from: NT2C on January 22, 2022, 06:27:54 PM
Currently, yes, we are in an actual data center with all the good stuff like redundant power and regular (twice daily) backups. Previously, I think we were in the trunk of a VW Golf using 4G LTE on the Chicago Loop.

• Whatever took out the regular comms will likely have lingering aftereffects for radio comms
  • If whatever took out the regular comms was the result of hostilities, any new transmitter coming online becomes a target, and military grade anti-radiation missiles don't play nice

So are you expecting hostile foreign troops on U.S. soil, or that a intercontinental ballistic missile is launched when you fire up your radio ?

NT2C

Quote from: flybynight on January 22, 2022, 07:18:48 PM
Quote from: NT2C on January 22, 2022, 06:27:54 PM

So are you expecting hostile foreign troops on U.S. soil, or that a intercontinental ballistic missile is launched when you fire up your radio ?
If we're at the point where EMP nukes are being employed, you tell me.  What I do know for certain is twofold, first, that I will have bigger problems than ensuring we all stay in contact, and second, that the .gov types will order all civilian radio traffic off the air (should any have survived), especially ham radio operators.  We did this all through WWII so there's precedent for it.  That being the case, this falls under the heading of discussing illegal activities.  (drops mic)

Current Weather in My AO

Rednex

OK so not end of the world but what about local outages? Like MPMallory was it he was out of action for a week or 2 is there something to keep tabs on members to make sure they are ok? I mean Facebook and text work , internet works as a whole but one or 2 members in a disaster area aint on for a few days , do we have anyone that has a list of contacts for site members to check up on them?

NT2C

Quote from: Rednex on January 23, 2022, 07:47:23 AM
OK so not end of the world but what about local outages? Like MPMallory was it he was out of action for a week or 2 is there something to keep tabs on members to make sure they are ok? I mean Facebook and text work , internet works as a whole but one or 2 members in a disaster area aint on for a few days , do we have anyone that has a list of contacts for site members to check up on them?
Our staff has access to the email address you sign up with.  Additionally, if you have other social media accounts it's common to share that info with friends on here.  We also encourage you to make friends with other members that might be in your area or who share special interests with you and setup lines of communication with them.  It comes down to what you, the individual, choose to share with us.

For example, on my part, all of the staff members have my cell number, my wife's cell number, at least one of my email addresses, and those savvy enough to look up my call sign have my mailing address.  There are also local members I have contact with outside of the forum (Beo has been to my house more than a few times for example) and I've met many of the members here in person during their or mine travels around the USA.

Pick who you'd like to exchange info with and do so.  This is an online family we have, not just a community.

Current Weather in My AO

Moab

Quote from: flybynight on January 22, 2022, 05:15:44 PM

I have to agree. There has to be value in some form of communications we could use as a group. Obviously something each member could opt into.

It doesnt have to be in the event of something that kills all comm tools ie an emp. It could be in the event the powers start shutting things down. Or a regional disaster where everyone in that region has lost all internet, but not cell. So youd rely on text say. Or theyve lost everything but youve got ham capability. So you break out the ham radio. I have to admit im not a ham expert. I do uae scanners alot. I know u can talk across long distances with ham. But i think u need a base unit. Not just a handheld. But i could be wrong.

Lastly, i dont think this is something the staff should shoulder. It would be a big job that a few people would probably have to handle. Researching various comms capabilities. Compiling lists of participants etc.

Maybe this is a reason for me to get deeper into ham. Ive spent alot of time listening to ham with a scanner. Its pretty entertaining.

MacWa77ace

Quote from: Moab on January 21, 2022, 01:09:19 PM
Do we have anything set up for if the site went down? Facebook group? Signal app contacts list? Alternative forum? I set one up awhile ago. Was super easy.

Signal is fairly secure. But i have not used it alot. Its one of the top apps for this.

This is the back up one you set up before.

https://zombiehunters.freeforums.net/board/1/general-discussion
Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel
#TRowPriceSucks
Ask me about my Fully Semi-Automatic 30-Mag clip death gun .

Moab

Quote from: MacWa77ace on January 28, 2022, 04:00:18 PM
Quote from: Moab on January 21, 2022, 01:09:19 PM

This is the back up one you set up before.

https://zombiehunters.freeforums.net/board/1/general-discussion

Thank u. I had totally lost that. That would be a good start. And a first level of covering our asses.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk