Web guide to sleeping in airports

Started by Blast, July 17, 2021, 10:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blast

My wife and younger daughter were supposed to fly back to Houston from New York today, but God had other plans. A big storm screwed up the Newark airport and by the time United would admit their flight was canceled all the hotels around there were booked up.

Enter https://www.sleepinginairports.net/ covering the specific rules, regulations, tips, and secret work-arounds to sleeping in major airports around the world. Turns out that the Newark airport gets screwed up so often, they now have a bunch of cots they'll lend travelers stuck there overnight and people flying United even get access to showers!

I used to travel a lot in my previous jobs and got stuck a number of times. One thing I now always bring with me is a lightweight, microfiber, travel blanket that scrunches down to about the soda can. https://amzn.to/3ik6vMd
-Blast

My book*: Outdoor Adventures Guide - Foraging
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

sheddi

Thanks Blast, once we get past the pandemic that might be quite useful :)

My job takes me transatlantic 2-3 times a year, usually involving transfers at one or two US hub airports and rarely travelling enough miles to get free lounge access. Every couple of years something will go awry and I'll end up with an extended stay in an airport; one time that sticks in my mind, I arrived in CLT and the aircraft I was hoping to board was somewhere in Canada ...

I too pack a blanket. Mine's fleece so not quite as compact asyour recommended one, and not as high-performance either.

Blast

A towel is good, a blanket is even better. ;)
Being a long time road-and-air warrior, I'm going to follow this up with an almost complete guide to sleeping free while traveling.
-Blast
My book*: Outdoor Adventures Guide - Foraging
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

TACAIR

I always carry a RON kit -started in my USAF days.  RON - remain overnoght

Change of drawers, washcloth, hand towel (works the same on smaller)  disposable razor, small bar of hand soap. 
Windshield  shade (foiled bubblewrap) and a cozy long enuf  that it covers from shoulders to just below hips,  and when on my side, covers me floor to floor.  Made of salvaged wool blanket with flannel on one side.    Book.  Small all band radio (ICOM R5) , headlamp.   Foam earplugs. 

All goes in the carryon bag with enough chow for 24 hours.  Bag is pillow.  Jacket covers legs. 

I have to fly thru SEATAC or Portland in/out of AK.  Alaska Airlines sucks so bad, it is common to have a 12+ hr/overnight  wait between planes.    So, I can rack out in a corner somewhere and get in some Zs. 
I'd much rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist....

My fiction work is fond here:
https://www.amazon.com/D-K-Richardson/e/B005JT4QP2/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Raptor

When I travel commercial I avoid any check in bags if at all possible. I try to carry everything in a maximum permissible size roller bag. I can assuming no suit & tie is needed get 3 days of clothing as well as spare shoes into the bag. That and $10 of quarters for a hotel washer & dryer and I am good for a week.

Getting stuck in an airport is absolutely miserable. If the hotels are booked try to purchase a one time access to the frequent flyers club. It is not cheap but it is less than a hotel and does provide some privacy and amenities like showers.

BTW I have had my carry on bag "misplaced" the plane was full and the overhead bins chock a block full and they required me to gate check my bag since it did not fit under the seat. Yep it missed the flight.

Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk