Main Menu

It slipped...

Started by Mr. E. Monkey, August 06, 2021, 03:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. E. Monkey

Mods, I'm not sure if this is exactly a prep fail, but it is a fail, and maybe worth discussing.  If not, you know what to do...  :smiley_devil:

So, I got a Benchmade Mini Griptillian through my last job, a few years ago.   Turns out,  it holds an edge pretty well..

http://imgur.com/a/9M2M0WR

Short story long, I was trying to cut open an under-ripe pignut, fruit and all.  I made a few decent cuts, was starting on another, and thought "gee, I should maybe move my thumb out of the way," but before I could, the nut shifted, the blade slipped, and chopped into my thumb.  (No slicing involved, it just went straight in.)

I sat there looking at it like an idiot for a second.

Ow.  That stings a little.

:awesome:

It bled pretty well for a little bit, and I figured it was probably good to let it flush itself out a little.  Put some pressure on it, and then a bandage.  Put a clean bandage on it a few minutes ago, and there was hardly any blood on the old one, so I figure it's probably okay.

I hadn't cut myself like that in months.  I guess I got a little careless, and paid the idiot tax. 

Lessons learned:

• If you think it's a bad idea, it probably is.
  • Make sure what you're trying to cut is stable.
  • Do that BEFORE you try to cut anything!
  • Use the right tool for the job.  A pocket knife was not it for this one.
  • Maintain awareness of where your fingers (and anything else you don't want to cut) are, relative to what you are cutting.
  • Respect your tools (see #4)

Honestly, I'm lucky I didn't do worse.  There are lots of small parts in your fingers that are important for proper function.  Nerves, ligaments, etc.  Mishandling a knife could end up damaging some of those, and you wind up having to deal with zombies or aliens or whatever with fingers that don't do what your fingers are supposed to do...  Don't do that.
Quote from: SMoAF'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: BeowolfDisasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bushTHE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

Mr. E. Monkey

Pignut, for reference:

(Not my picture)

Nyte

I have a Griptialian, and I can confirm they hold an edge, though some of that depends on which steel version you have.  Looks like a good lesson.

flybynight

I don't believe knife accident photos are allowed here unless the appendage is completely severed , or at the least , hanging by a strip of flesh.  Please go back and try again  , but harder. Perhaps a bigger knife  would help  :clownshoes:
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

Mr. E. Monkey

Mine looks to be 154CM. 

I thought I was done learning these lessons,  but I guess that's a lesson in itself!

Mr. E. Monkey

Quote from: flybynight on August 06, 2021, 05:13:50 PM
I don't believe knife accident photos are allowed here unless the appendage is completely severed , or at the least , hanging by a strip of flesh.  Please go back and try again  , but harder. Perhaps a bigger knife  would help  :clownshoes:

:awesome:  nah,  I cut myself on a big knife last time.   I had to change things up a little. (I was sharpening it,  and the knife stayed put,  but my finger slipped...)

12_Gauge_Chimp

In a show of solidarity with my primate brother, I also had a minor incident with a sharp pointy thing.

I was cleaning an old camping knife (one of those with a fork, knife and spoon. I think they're called Hobo tools.) and I apparently tried to punch the bottom edge of the blade near the ricasso. Very small cut, but it bled pretty good despite the size. I didn't even know I'd cut myself until I looked at my knuckle and saw some blood on my finger.

I guess that old knife was sharper than I remembered it.

After doing a bit of primate doctoring, which basically means cleaning the cut with some peroxide (I know, I know. Peroxide isn't the best, but I haven't had an opportunity to hit the pharmacy and pick up something else for cleaning cuts), applying a bandage and I'm back to normal.

Ok, as normal as a guy named Chimp can get, I mean. :smiley_crocodile:

The real pain is the knife is still dirty in some hard to reach places and short of a sonic cleaner to toss it in, I'm screwed when it comes to deep cleaning it.  :gonk:

SCBrian

It's apparently the day for it,  I was sharpening a Chef knife about 12 hours ago, and...whoops....
Bleed like a SOB, since i nicked one of those nice veins. 

BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

flybynight

Holy crap, you guys are like suicide samurai
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

Mr. E. Monkey

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on September 13, 2021, 06:40:17 PM
In a show of solidarity with my primate brother, I also had a minor incident with a sharp pointy thing.

I was cleaning an old camping knife (one of those with a fork, knife and spoon. I think they're called Hobo tools.)

Something something...chimpov got stabbed by a hobo?  :eek1:

QuoteThe real pain is the knife is still dirty in some hard to reach places and short of a sonic cleaner to toss it in, I'm screwed when it comes to deep cleaning it.  :gonk:

It would probably be easier if you'd quit getting blood on it.   :icon_crazy:
(I know, it sounds so simple, in theory, right?)

ETA:

Brian:   :gonk:   That looks like it hurt. 

flybynight:     :awesome:

Crosscut

Quote from: SCBrian on September 13, 2021, 07:29:44 PM
It's apparently the day for it,  I was sharpening a Chef knife about 12 hours ago, and...whoops....
Bleed like a SOB, since i nicked one of those nice veins. 

Back of the hand calculation?   :greenguy:

SCBrian

Quote from: Mr. E. Monkey on September 14, 2021, 08:19:37 AM
Brian:   :gonk:   That looks like it hurt. 

Not so much.  I guess the benefit of a sharp edge...  Just in a crappy spot.   Couple of steri-strips, a large bandaid and a glove on the hand all day.
What annoys me is technically it's a reportable incident as it could have used a stitch or 2, and would solve an issue I've been having (Hey Stupids, order me sharp knives!).  But ultimately I would have paid hell for it... so for now, the show must go on...

Quote from: Crosscut on September 14, 2021, 09:23:33 AM
Back of the hand calculation?   :greenguy:

hehe...
BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

Lambykins

Quote from: flybynight on September 14, 2021, 06:48:46 AM
That would be a great band name!
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: Lambykins on September 14, 2021, 03:56:38 PM
Quote from: flybynight on September 14, 2021, 06:48:46 AM
That would be a great band name!

It's not a band, but there is a song by Nirvana called "Suicide Samurai".

ETA: I just listend to that song and man does it suck. I have to imagine Kurt Cobain was stoned out of his gourd when he recorded it and that was the best take out of probably quite a few.

I also envision each subsequent take just got progressively worse and worse as Cobain descended into just an incoherent mess on the floor of the studio. Like even Yoko Ono would listen to it and think "What the hell, dude ?".

Mr. E. Monkey

Quote from: SCBrian on September 14, 2021, 03:51:55 PM
Not so much.  I guess the benefit of a sharp edge...  Just in a crappy spot.   Couple of steri-strips, a large bandaid and a glove on the hand all day.
What annoys me is technically it's a reportable incident as it could have used a stitch or 2, and would solve an issue I've been having (Hey Stupids, order me sharp knives!).  But ultimately I would have paid hell for it... so for now, the show must go on...
Hey, I think I know that one!  Is it worth reporting...?  No fun.  Here's to a speedy healing process, anyway!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk