Author Topic: Proposed Part 95 changes, FM CB and GMRS/FRS automatic location transmissions  (Read 280 times)

Offline Crosscut

• Paid Member
  • Trust, but verify
  • Reactions:
Not final yet but sounds like they're going to be approved:  https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-374114A1.pdf

We don't use any geolocation services, and while we have am/fm/ssb CB capabilities we don't use them, so not much in these changes for us personally.  How about you, anyone planning changes to their current comm plan to take advantage of these new rules (if they are enacted)? 

Offline SCBrian

• The Anointed One
  • It's been Changed...
  • Reactions:
I think no impact on me, but I didnt read the full 17 pages, just the bullet points.  My only concern would be knowing a new grms/frs radio might be able to leak personal locations out. 
(Picks up tinfoil hat)
In a family setting, say a park, great.   
In a 'patrol the woods setting' - probably not so good...
BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

Offline boskone

• Chief Tribble
  • Administrator
  • Reactions:
The location data seems OK, provided one has a radio on which it could be turned off.

Offline NT2C

• Administrator
  • Reactions:
The location data seems OK, provided one has a radio on which it could be turned off.
Reading the proposed rule, it would merely make it a little more allowable than it currently is and would in no way make it mandatory.  The capability has always been there in the specifications for that type-class equipment, this just makes a really minor edit to make it easier to implement for manufacturers who want to include such a feature in their equipment.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Offline NT2C

• Administrator
  • Reactions:
I think no impact on me, but I didnt read the full 17 pages, just the bullet points.  My only concern would be knowing a new grms/frs radio might be able to leak personal locations out. 
(Picks up tinfoil hat)
In a family setting, say a park, great.   
In a 'patrol the woods setting' - probably not so good...
I'm trying to come up with a good simile for explaining what they're doing here.  Okay, think of it as a car in a city where there's no right turn on red.  NYC for example.  Then, awhile back, the law gets changed to allow right on red under very particular circumstances and requiring very specific actions by the driver.  Then this new proposal comes up where it's now entirely legal to do a right on red, just like the rest of the country, and self-driving cars can do it too if the owner wants to.

Cars always had the ability to make the turn, it was just the regulations stopping them.  So too in this case where the hardware could be added to a radio and used under manual control (and in very specific automatic modes like a PLB), this proposal just clears the way for manufacturers to enable it.  (Motorola handhelds have had GPS chips and antennas for decades).
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Offline TACAIR

• Storyteller
  • Authorized Vendor
  • Raconteur of the frst stripe
  • Reactions:
Not approved.  Fm on cB was approved.
I'd much rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist....

My fiction work is fond here:
https://www.amazon.com/D-K-Richardson/e/B005JT4QP2/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Offline Crosscut

• Paid Member
  • Trust, but verify
  • Reactions:
Not approved.  Fm on cB was approved.

Automatic location transmissions on GMRS/FRS were not approved?  I hadn't been paying much attention to it, but looking around after I saw your comment it looks like it was adopted on Aug 4th (https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-21-90A1.pdf), did they change their minds?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk