Previous topic - Next topic

Crosscut

Quote from: boskone on July 20, 2021, 07:23:36 PM
So, what I've taken from this:

• Skip the siphons
  • Metal's not really worth it
  • Scepter'll probably be OK
  • You guys have no conception of staying on topic and within implied specs
  • We can add /?&tag=wilediofhou-20 to Amazon URLs and Blast gets a bit of money

:clownshoes:

I think I'll get a few of these 5-gallon gas cans, one 5-gallon water jug, and something like EZ Pour spouts and--if I can find some--"blank" caps for the gas cans.

I can deal with just that much for now.  Probably (hopefully) by the time I'm in a position to want more, I'll have a rainwater catchment system going to a nice large cistern, and my vehicle will burn pixies instead of fermented dino piss.

Sorry, I'm easily distracted by shiny objects, squirrels, and amazon affiliates :)

Is the plan to get mounts for securing the cans on/in the truck, asking cuz one thing I like about the square/cube shaped cans is they're less likely to fall over in the truck bed when transporting them.  The one CARB can I did modify with the EZ pour kit works well enough to keep gas from leaking when splashing around while the can is upright, but wouldn't trust it to not leak if lying on its side.

And does your truck have a capless fuel tank?  That might complicate things.  My 2012 Ford "easy fuel" one is anything but easy when refueling with a gas can.  Need to use the supplied funnel to open the valves inside the capless adapter, then the combination of the small funnel opening and that its nearly horizontal when inserted requires pouring slowly and carefully so it doesn't spill.  Stupid POS design... 

boskone

Yes, I'm still contemplating jerry can mounts; my options are a bit limited of I want any use of the truck bed.

I do not have a capless fuel tank; I drive an old-ish Tundra.

jdavidboyd

Quote from: SCBrian on July 19, 2021, 06:38:39 PM
For siphon's I've had good luck with these:
metal end goes in the liquid.  Few shakes up and down, and watch the flow...

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Siphon-Safe-Multi-Purpose-Priming/dp/B000BG1X54

I have the same, or equivalent.  Love it, works great.

EBuff75

So glad that I didn't have to use a siphon today!  We've been in a brown-out since last night due to a storm and I set up the generator this morning to power the fridge/freezer.  Of course, as soon as I set everything up and fueled the generator, the power came back on...  Fortunately, it's a small inverter-generator and I was able to just lift it and pour the gas back out into the can using a funnel. 
Much easier than siphoning it!   :smiley_clap:
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Raptor

Quote from: EBuff75 on July 21, 2021, 11:34:53 AM
Of course, as soon as I set everything up and fueled the generator, the power came back on... 

Now you know as well as I do, that if you had not set up the generator, the power would still be off. :smiley_knipoog:
Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

sheddi

I don't know if anyone's interested (except perhaps for fire code inspectors  :eek1: ) but here's a photo of the "flammables" end of my shed*. Yes it's a bit cluttered.

Bottom row: four 20-litre / 5-gallon NATO-style cans plus one cheap Chinese** 10-litre / 2-gallon can with a NATO closure.
Middle row: two 10-litre / 2.5-gallon NATO-style cans plus three 5-litre / 1-gallon plastic cans.
Top row:  two 5-litre / 1-gallon plastic cans, one (empty, unused) Chinese 10-litre / 2-gallon can, four 450g / 16oz CV470 gas cartridges. And assorted funnels, spouts and so on. Oh, and a pack of multi-coloured zipties***.

Far right is two 7kg LPG bottles. They're butane not propane (UK weather is mild enough that the higher boiling point of propane isn't usually a problem, and the density is higher so you get more in a bottle.)

* The shed is steel, so it's less likely to catch fire ...

** The Chinese cans were advertised on-line with photos of NATO-style cans and I complained when these ones were delivered instead. After two failed attempts at returning them the seller stopped returning my emails but eBay refunded me anyway  :smilie_happy_thumbup:

*** The cans contain (variously) gasoline, diesel, 2-cycle fuel-oil mix or kerosene. I use zipties to colour code the handles and hopefully stop me putting the wrong fuel in the wrong tank.

SCBrian

Quote from: boskone on July 20, 2021, 09:12:43 PM
Quote from: RonnyRonin on July 20, 2021, 08:56:19 PM
Siphon>spout in my experience, less mess, less fuss, and hands free. I also use the shaker siphon linked above.
Blast expressed some issues with flow rate; any anecdata on the subject?  ~10 minutes per gallon does seem somewhat problematic.

Flow rate is dependent on the size of the tube.  The one I linked (and use) has a 1/2" tube and a flow rate of 3gpm. 
I've seen 3/4" ID's, with a flow rate of ~6gpm....

BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

EBuff75

Quote from: Raptor on July 21, 2021, 02:36:13 PM
Of course, as soon as I set everything up and fueled the generator, the power came back on... 

Now you know as well as I do that if you had not set up the generator the power would still be off. :smiley_knipoog:
Don't worry, I took sole credit for the power being restored when I talked with one of the neighbors!   :D
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Raptor

Quote from: EBuff75 on July 21, 2021, 03:53:10 PM
Quote from: Raptor on July 21, 2021, 02:36:13 PM

Now you know as well as I do that if you had not set up the generator the power would still be off. :smiley_knipoog:
Don't worry, I took sole credit for the power being restored when I talked with one of the neighbors!   :D

As well you should!

Getting back on track .....

I have run across one of these and I was going to buy one to see if they work. Anyone have any experience with these and gasoline? I am always a bit wary of using a powered pump for gasoline, especially since gravity is free.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00318D7K8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2Q1LRYTXHYQ2K&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00318D7K8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2Q1LRYTXHYQ2K&psc=1#customerReviews
Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

Rednex

I use one for Kerosene in my heater, and once for gasoline. Works well decent flow rate the bid suction end wont fit down the trucks fill tube to the gas tank. If you have other plastic tube you can put it over the tip and then use a reducer to say 1/2 " to go into the gas tank. However don't leave batteries in there over the summer. They will leak and mess up the contacts and stuff in the battery compartment.

RonnyRonin

Quote from: boskone on July 20, 2021, 09:12:43 PM
Quote from: RonnyRonin on July 20, 2021, 08:56:19 PM
Siphon>spout in my experience, less mess, less fuss, and hands free. I also use the shaker siphon linked above.
Blast expressed some issues with flow rate; any anecdata on the subject?  ~10 minutes per gallon does seem somewhat problematic.

While the blue scepter water cans are quite good a few dollars more will get you the milspec can:

https://www.buylci.com/water-can-5-gallon-desert-tan.html
Aside from color, what are the differences?

I empty a 5 gallon jerry can in 3 ish minutes perhaps? haven't timed it in awhile but its less than 5 for sure. A larger hose and a higher can (say on your roof) will produce a higher flow rate. From a security perspective if you have lots of people speed is more important (the military spouts advertise 5 gallons a minute I think) but if you have fewer people I'd rather take longer but be able to keep my eyes and hands free.

The MWC is much thicker walled, fits in jerry can carriers, and has a host of aftermarket accessories built around the larger cap size (a flexi hose with a ball valve being the easiest one to justify). I have both, the blue one is more consumer friendly but the military one will outlast it by a significant margin. If I only had 2 water cans they would be MWCs. If I had 10 water cans I'd probably have 2 MWCs and 8 of the blue cans.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

RoneKiln

Quote from: sheddi on July 21, 2021, 02:37:18 PM
I don't know if anyone's interested (except perhaps for fire code inspectors  :eek1: ) but here's a photo of the "flammables" end of my shed*. Yes it's a bit cluttered.

Can I steal that pic for a safety meeting at work?

It won't be for the good example in the presentation.  :hystery:
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

sheddi

Quote from: RoneKiln on July 22, 2021, 01:36:04 AM

Yes, of course :D  I'm always happy to serve as a bad example!

Halfapint

Quote from: boskone on July 20, 2021, 07:23:36 PM

I think I'll get a few of these 5-gallon gas cans, one 5-gallon water jug, and something like EZ Pour spouts and--if I can find some--"blank" caps for the gas cans.

For what it's worth, I have those same jugs along with my mom I think the 2 od us have 7-8 and the EZ pour spouts. They work excellent. The EZ pour pack comes with 2 extension spouts that can basically bend down to like the midpoint of the can so you don't spill.
The original Half gettin sum land thread
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=111413

Quote from: SpazzyTell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Crosscut

Quote from: RoneKiln on July 22, 2021, 01:36:04 AM

And based on the reviews here I need to try one of those shake-priming siphon hoses for getting fuel out of our 55 gal drum.

flybynight

Bottom row: four 20-litre / 5-gallon NATO-style cans plus one cheap Chinese** 10-litre / 2-gallon can with a NATO closure.
Middle row: two 10-litre / 2.5-gallon NATO-style cans plus three 5-litre / 1-gallon plastic cans.
Top row:  two 5-litre / 1-gallon plastic cans, one (empty, unused) Chinese 10-litre / 2-gallon can, four 450g / 16oz CV470 gas cartridges. And assorted funnels, spouts and so on. Oh, and a pack of multi-coloured zipties***.

Far right is two 7kg LPG bottles. They're butane not propane (UK weather is mild enough that the higher boiling point of propane isn't usually a problem, and the density is higher so you get more in a bottle.)

* The shed is steel, so it's less likely to catch fire ...

** The Chinese cans were advertised on-line with photos of NATO-style cans and I complained when these ones were delivered instead. After two failed attempts at returning them the seller stopped returning my emails but eBay refunded me anyway  :smilie_happy_thumbup:

*** The cans contain (variously) gasoline, diesel, 2-cycle fuel-oil mix or kerosene. I use zipties to colour code the handles and hopefully stop me putting the wrong fuel in the wrong tank.

I'm sure it's fine

https://youtu.be/i72HZ0kIq7U
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

SCBrian

Quote from: Crosscut on July 22, 2021, 06:12:33 AM
And based on the reviews here I need to try one of those shake-priming siphon hoses for getting fuel out of our 55 gal drum.
Just remember, even when primed, t needs to flow downhill. 
Put the metal end in the supply.  Shake it until it fills and starts on it's downhill journey, then you can stop. 
The metal bit is nothing more than a ball bearing atop a (usually) gasket.  Acts like a 1 way valve.  On the down shake, it allows in gas, the up shake closes the seal.  repeat until physics takes over.
BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

sheddi

Here's a little something from The Other Place. Every word is mine so I'm happy that I've not violated anyone's intellectual property rights by copying it.

My gasoline lasted seven years in a NATO can.

Quote from: sheddi  Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:25 pm
Please excuse the thread necromancy, but I've got an update for you.

Quote from: sheddiI filled a NATO jerrycan with unleaded back in 2005. The fuel came from 4 different gas stations on account of the Byzantine laws we have in the UK regarding the carriage of fuel in vehicles. I stored it "as is" without any additional treatment or additives. I've been taking a gallon a year out of it to use in my mower and Coleman stove.

So far, 4 years down the road, it's still working fine.

I'm slightly worried that next year I'll use up the final gallon without seeing any problems, and will have to bring my trial to a close without knowing how long it might have lasted.

My worry was clearly misplaced.

I have *just* (as in yesterday) taken the last of my 2005-vintage gasoline from it's NATO jerrycan. It's still working without problems in my Briggs & Stratton-engined mower[1] and generator[2].

I accept that mowers and generators may be less demanding of their fuel than a motor vehicle. Unfortunately our household vehicle fleet is all diesel, so I can't comment on that aspect.

[1] Clearly I've been mowing the lawn much less than I should.
[2] The generator is a cheap Chinese two-stroke, is kept in case of power outages, and gets run for 30 minutes twice a year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk