Author Topic: Food Storage Envy Here...  (Read 141 times)

Offline Lambykins

• Official Forum Goat Wrangler
  • Possums always survive.
  • Reactions:
Food Storage Envy Here...
« on: July 18, 2021, 06:27:14 PM »
Canadian Prepper. Great channel.
Check out his food storage..
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

Offline boskone

• Chief Tribble
  • Administrator
  • Reactions:
Re: Food Storage Envy Here...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 01:26:09 AM »
There's some interesting points, like the color-coded buckets.  I think those shelving units are the grade down from the ones I have; probably just fine for the use, since mine double as workbenches and needed to be stiffer than just storage.

There is some disagreement on priorities, but...meh.  To each their own.

One head-scratcher--which honestly makes me question various other of his assumptions--is declining to store relatively nutrient- and vitamin-rich canned vegetables because of preservatives, but packing away blocks of salty empty carbs with preservatives (ramen packets).  That seems like a really bad trade to me, compared to buying/making a few can rotators and using those normally.

But longer-term storage is a bit of a problem here, especially since buyers will be put off by buckets of food everywhere.  Storing in the garage is a no-go; it gets unbelievably hot and muggy in there in the summer.  Hopefully, the next place will have a (true) walk-in pantry.  (Theoretically the pantry here is "walk-in", but it's like 4x4ft.)

Offline Lambykins

• Official Forum Goat Wrangler
  • Possums always survive.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 05:34:56 AM »
He has another video (actually, he has a LOT of good videos), about powdered foods...either dehydrated or freeze dried that he thinks you should store.
He makes a lot of good points about powdered foods, but some of the ones he chooses to store...no, I think are not worth the trouble. Jello? Poor shelf life IMHO and not very nutritional, also full of preservatives. And in a grid down situation how will you refrigerate so it will gel?
But for the most part, his advice is pretty good.
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

Offline NapalmMan67

• Official Party Dude
  • I'll never change.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 03:48:03 PM »
I saw last night this was just uploaded, have only watched a couple mins so far.  I do take some of his advice and (others) information with a grain of salt though. 

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk