Author Topic: Black Summer on Netflix.  (Read 164 times)

Online Moab

• Deep in Davey Jones locker.
  • Reactions:
Black Summer on Netflix.
« on: July 14, 2021, 01:27:42 AM »
I think someone posted about this on the old zs. But i just finished the series. A few thoughts:

Its basically a zombie movie. The central characters are a mother and daughter. Trying to survive in a zombie paw. Hopefully thats the only spoiler. I will try to stay topical. And away from plot lines.

1) Scavenging. With a capitol "S". Its a pet peeve of mine when during a movie someone gets killed or your on the run. And no one scavenges for anything. Like a weapon. Or food. Or clothing. Drives me nuts. One of the bad guys gets killed and no one takes his weapon or checks for ammo or food or anything truly valuable that could save your life. Just walk right past that AR and pouch full of mags.

This series has alot of scavenging. In tense moments while running from zombies or bad guys they stop to take a warmer jacket off a dead person. Or a pair of boots. Or a weapon. And it adds so much to the intensity and realism of the zombie fantasy.

2) Real societal breakdown. I know its a fantasy. But this series also expands on the human to human element. Of what its like when everyone is running for their lives. And society really breaksdown. Mogadishu. The Balkans. New Orleans. All of those places come to mind while watching this show. And its a real test of character for many in this series.

Anyway. Im to tired to write anymore. Gotta get up early and take my wife to the hospital. She got her heart transplant two months ago.

Ill write more later. But in a nutshell. The first half of the first season isnt nearly as good as the rest. Its a slow burn. And then a raging fire. Very character driven. Great actors. Just a great PAW series. Watch it. Its really good.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Offline NapalmMan67

• Official Party Dude
  • I'll never change.
  • Reactions:
Re: Black Summer on Netflix.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 08:29:51 AM »
It's essentially the prequel to Z Nation.  If you've seen that, they reference Black Summer several time throughout that show.

Just watched the 2 seasons of Black Summer over the last couple weeks (after I watched Z Nation again).  Enjoyed it very much.  I could see it running the story line up to the beginning of Z Nation.

Let's hope Netflix renews for the 3rd and beyond...   the end of season 2 left some big questions hanging out there.

And agree, much more "realism" in my opinion as to how people would act in major crisis mode to survive.  Although there was one scene I pointed out to my old lady that I would have scavenged a bunch of ammo...  and they did not as they were heading out.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

Offline MacWa77ace

• Global Moderator
  • Putrescence and Liquification. SE Florida
  • Reactions:
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 09:12:53 AM »
Yeah, the food water AND hygiene parts are left out of most stories, and wearing leather Jackets in the south in summertime?! Wardrobe crap like that, I don't think so.

I haven't watched ZNation yet start to finish, but have watched a few minutes here and there when its on. Seemed really campy to me IIRC, isn't that the one with the Zombie as part of the crew?!

Do I have to / should I watch ZNation before Black Summer? I wasn't that impressed with the snippets of ZN I did see.
Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Offline PistolPete

• I for one, welcome our new alien overlords
  • Reactions:
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 09:55:45 AM »
I didn't think season 2 held up as well as season 1 of Black Summer.  Overall I really enjoyed season 1 up until the last episode which really played like a video game to me.  The second season I just didn't find as compelling. 

Z Nation was really campy and fun.  It's probably my favorite zombie series, but then again I like Bruce Campbell movies....
All you have to do is stab someone once, just a little bit, to forever change the dynamic of the relationship.

Offline NapalmMan67

• Official Party Dude
  • I'll never change.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 10:15:21 AM »
Yes, Z Nation has a "Zombie" as part of the crew...  He was injected with an experimental vaccine just before he was bitten and he doesn't turn...  mol.  I enjoyed it more for the humor aspect it provided. 

One thing that drove me nuts, was the wardrobe.  Some of the characters had new outfits every other scene...  was a running joke with my old lady and myself about that.  BUT, it is just entertainment after all and it did entertain us.  I'm a fan of Vaudeville/slapstick style entertainment.  YMMV.

So again, Black Summer has a much more realistic approach and tone compared to ZN.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

Online Moab

• Deep in Davey Jones locker.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 10:47:13 PM »
I watched zn too. My brother turned me onto it. Like i said i watched it. And its good what it is. Campy entertainment. But bs was far and above better to me. I got a real adrenaline rush watching some of the scenes. It sort of like what walking dead started out as. A good serious drama. And then a cgi tiger showed up and it was all campy hands on deck. Lol. Im being overly sarcastic.

I didn't notice the new clothes. But i did notice that they paid attention to their clothes. Which in any environment is crucial to survival. And they put that kind of emphasis on it. Which was a vehicle for higher tension and more drama.

There can always be more scavenging for me. And counting things like how much ammo do we have left? Where can we find more? Oh three people just got shot in front of me. Maybe i better check them for ammo. And maybe a better rifle instead of a shotgun. (Im not a big shotgun person.)

Those kind of life and death decisions are great for any script. Im glad they took advantage of some of them.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk