Author Topic: The Avengers were wrong to bring everyone back.  (Read 285 times)

Offline Blast

• Medicine Man
  • Authorized Vendor
  • aka Merriwether
  • Reactions:
The Avengers were wrong to bring everyone back.
« on: June 27, 2021, 10:02:40 PM »
Thinking about Avengers: Endgame...for five years after the Thanos snap, Earth's infrastructure has been falling apart. Crops aren't being grown, basic manufacturing has ground to a standstill, the international supply chain is in shambles, people most likely have resorted to looting empty homes for resources. And then everyone pops back, not aware they've been gone. They look around and nothing's the same. Their homes are in ruins, some family members are much older, mates that weren't snapped away may have found new love...and there's not enough food, gas, medicine or anything for them. Many will be dead again in a few weeks or months. It would be a nightmare.

Thoughts?
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
Ham Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Offline boskone

• Chief Tribble
  • Administrator
  • Reactions:
Re: The Avengers were wrong to bring everyone back.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 10:22:56 PM »
I wondered about that myself, but finally figured either the writers would address it or I'd have to chalk it up to "Hollyweird".

Offline Blast

• Medicine Man
  • Authorized Vendor
  • aka Merriwether
  • Reactions:
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 10:19:38 AM »
I wondered about that myself, but finally figured either the writers would address it or I'd have to chalk it up to "Hollyweird".
Yeah, it would definitely put a damper on the "Hooray, heroes!" feelings. Lol
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
Ham Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Offline sheddi

• Global Moderator
  • It’s such a fine line between stupid and clever.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 11:16:32 AM »
Thinking about Avengers: Endgame...for five years after the Thanos snap, Earth's infrastructure has been falling apart. Crops aren't being grown, basic manufacturing has ground to a standstill, the international supply chain is in shambles, people most likely have resorted to looting empty homes for resources.
This entire scenario struck me as unlikely. Losing half the population in a moment would be a short-term hit but would only take you from eg. 7bn in 2015 to 3.5bn in 1967. There are still enough people with enough skills to do all the jobs needed to support a 21st-century economy.

And then everyone pops back, not aware they've been gone. They look around and nothing's the same. Their homes are in ruins, some family members are much older, mates that weren't snapped away may have found new love...and there's not enough food, gas, medicine or anything for them. Many will be dead again in a few weeks or months. It would be a nightmare. Thoughts?
Yes, the real horror isn't erasing 3.5bn people with the snap of a finger, it's dumping 3.5bn people into a world that can't feed them.

Offline EBuff75

• No, I'm the other one.
  • Paid Member
  • I'm new (aren't we all?) and I have changed this.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 12:22:04 PM »
There was a comedy sketch about this, including people being hit by cars when they show back up, thousands of people appearing in mid-air where their planes used to be, etc.  I believe that the "official" explanation about these sort of things was that Hulk took these all into consideration and that people were unsnapped to safe locations, but still.  Enjoy your bit of dark humor for the day!   
Information - it’s all a battle for information. You have to know what’s happening if you’re going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Offline boskone

• Chief Tribble
  • Administrator
  • Reactions:
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 06:33:31 PM »
Thinking about Avengers: Endgame...for five years after the Thanos snap, Earth's infrastructure has been falling apart. Crops aren't being grown, basic manufacturing has ground to a standstill, the international supply chain is in shambles, people most likely have resorted to looting empty homes for resources.
This entire scenario struck me as unlikely. Losing half the population in a moment would be a short-term hit but would only take you from eg. 7bn in 2015 to 3.5bn in 1967. There are still enough people with enough skills to do all the jobs needed to support a 21st-century economy.
I think that's part of what we don't understand about the Snap.  Was it just a random 50% of the population, or did Thanatos somehow target specific segments he deemed undesirable?  Did he also implement some sort of universal reduction in fecundity to prevent populations from simply growing back to fill the space?  What about the...uh...gold-skinned people from Guardians of the Galaxy vol2, who could just clone up a suitable replacement populace in relatively short order.

Offline Lambykins

• Official Forum Goat Wrangler
  • Possums always survive.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 07:23:48 PM »
My concerns about the *snap* and *unsnap* relating just to the populations on earth...
What about women in childbirth? The baby comes out and then *snap*, the baby is gone? Then *unsnap* there's a baby...but, uhmmm...Mom is not at that location now,. Maybe that delivery room is being used for another birth, or perhaps it has been turned into a surgical suite and some guy is getting prostate surgery and suddenly...baby? :eek1:
What about prison populations?
*Snap* the guy with 3 years to go before freedom is gone. *Unsnap*, he's back in the prison...but it's 5 years later. What now? Does he have to serve out the 3 years (even though it's been 5) or will they just let him go? What if they were about to execute a prisoner, like in the actual process of the execution, but not completed. *Snap*, ol' Sparky loses the convicted occupant. *Unsnap*, he is sitting in a dark and empty execution chamber. What happens now?

So many questions...
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

Offline RoneKiln

• Perpetual Newbie
  • Paid Member
  • Reactions:
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 11:51:37 PM »
I think there's a serious issue even before things got that far. Think about how most countries react to even a tiny fraction of that sort of provocation.

We're looking at a scenario with 3.5 billion enraged grieving humans on a planet with a mountain of vibranium in Wakanda, several opportunities to acquire intergalactic space travel technology, and 5 years to completely shift the planet's industry.

Does anyone really think we wouldn't militarize the entire planet and go on a terrifying interplanetary rampage of epic scale? Instead we sat around moping and waiting for a couple of scrappy heros to go off and do something heroic?
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Offline Mr. E. Monkey

• Thing 2
  • It doesn't always make sense to me, either...
  • Reactions:
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 02:19:37 PM »
I think there's a serious issue even before things got that far. Think about how most countries react to even a tiny fraction of that sort of provocation.

We're looking at a scenario with 3.5 billion enraged grieving humans on a planet with a mountain of vibranium in Wakanda, several opportunities to acquire intergalactic space travel technology, and 5 years to completely shift the planet's industry.

Does anyone really think we wouldn't militarize the entire planet and go on a terrifying interplanetary rampage of epic scale? Instead we sat around moping and waiting for a couple of scrappy heros to go off and do something heroic?
Now that sounds like an interesting movie!   :smiley_clap:
Quote from: SMoAF
'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: Beowolf
Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bush
THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk