Author Topic: Pistol, bear spray or both.  (Read 175 times)

Offline flybynight

• This asshole again
  • Hiding in plain sight. Level : MYTHICAL :
  • Reactions:
Pistol, bear spray or both.
« on: June 26, 2021, 10:57:50 PM »
Ran across this vid tonight. Interesting

Offline Mr. E. Monkey

• Thing 2
  • It doesn't always make sense to me, either...
  • Reactions:
Re: Pistol, bear spray or both.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 02:15:58 PM »
That's some good info.  It reminded me of something I had read about the caliber discussion and bears. 
https://concealednation.org/2018/10/handguns-for-bear-defense-a-study-by-caliber/

Ammoland was kind enough to make a little compilation of 35 instances since 1987 in which handguns were used against bears in defense, and funnily enough the calibers ranged from 9mm to .454 Casull.

Only one of the cases they pulled and confirmed to have actually taken place resulted in a failure — pretty impressive.

I thought we could take a look at the list in broad strokes, and see what lessons could be pulled. If you want to look at the full archive of the events, just click here.

Firstly, and most surprisingly to yours truly, there were four cases in which the 9mm cartridge was used to defend against bears — every single one of them was successful, and at least three of the four were against grizzly bears. All three of those bears died, and one of them was killed from less than five feet away.

That particular kill was credited partly to the use of FMJ ammo, but still. That’s far more than I would have credited a 9mm cartridge’s capability.

The specific tool is not as important as your ability to use it effectively.  Seems that lesson comes around again and again in many different subjects...
Quote from: SMoAF
'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: Beowolf
Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bush
THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

Offline Moab

• Deep in Davey Jones locker.
  • Reactions:
Re: Pistol, bear spray or both.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 11:12:27 AM »
This guy was just on the joe rogan experience podcast. Hes a very interesting person. If you also want to know why mules are better than horses. Give the podcast a listen. Hes a very experienced hunter. And very well educated on the history of hunting in America. Great podcast.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk