USGI Improved Duffle Bag. Best vehicle gear bag?

Started by Moab, January 21, 2023, 10:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moab

The more I consider loading gear into my vehicles. The more canvas or nylon bags seem to fill space easier than plastic totes. And plastic totes are not as cheap as they once were.

If not jam packed fabric bags can conform to uneven spaces better. I have a few canvas pilot bags that are rugged as hell. And I like the heavy duty brass zippers.

But these new improved usgi duffle bags come with some distinct advantages. They are side opening, have horizontal buckles and substantial alice style shoulder straps. And can be had for as little as $30 shipped.

You cannot view this attachment.

Allegheny Outlet seems to have the best price on used ones without holes. And they are a long time solid seller online.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304689121603?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=L9KCCxSiQeC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=OOH5b8UqSIO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

You can even get them in multicam but they are new iirc and about twice the price.

Tactical Military Deployment Sport Luggage Duffel Bag | Perfect for Camping, Hiking, Traveling, Stealth, Survival https://a.co/d/bBolozN

I like these for a number of reasons:

1) Easy load sideways. And easier to find gear.

2) Easier to transport short distances with the shoulder straps. And handy side and bottom handles. Also has a plastic label place on end to show your inventory. Or a shipping address.

3) Bulletproof construction with solid nylon fabric, big ykk zippers, heavy handles and straps, fold over zipper protection.

4) These can be loaded with anything. I have used my heavy canvas pilot bags for moving pieces of steel. But you could load these with food, tools, clothing, equipment, bulky winter gear, gear for your bugout location. Anything really.

5) They conform to odd shapes inside a vehicle. As long as you don't jam them tight with gear. You can get more gear in by having it fill in more odd shaped spaces beside and atop each other. Whereas totes are rigid square boxes that do not conform to the interior of a vehicle very well.

6) Subdued color. And lumpy easier to stash item. You could throw one or a few of these under a bush and they would hide quite nicely. Not as easy with a colored square shaped tote.

7) Relatively low cost for what you get. I don't know of any civilian bags that rival these. But please link to any that do.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Moab

Here's a pic of the plastic document sleeve.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

echo83

Thanks, Moab! Great write-up. I can definitely see where these would have an advantage(s) over tubs or totes. The document sleeves alone are super handy. I know it's asking a bit much of these, but are they water resistant? 

Moab

Quote from: echo83 on January 21, 2023, 01:33:05 PMThanks, Moab! Great write-up. I can definitely see where these would have an advantage(s) over tubs or totes. The document sleeves alone are super handy. I know it's asking a bit much of these, but are they water resistant?

Says water repellant. See below in bold. Rest of description is below too.

Allegheny is a solid place. They have some of the best surplus on ebay. Been around a long time.

You could treat it with Nikwax. I'm sure they have a water proofing spray for whatever specific fabric these are made out of. There may be even better waterproofing out there. But Nikwax seems to be the industry standard. They have waterproofing for everything.

The other thing I like about this listing is its the cheapest price with no holes. All of the other sellers that are cheaper say their bags have small holes. This listing specifically says there may be paint or dirt on them. Like all the other sellers. But Allegheny states below - all holes are repaired. If they even have holes.

I've bought several things from them over the years. Good place.

GENUINE U.S. MILITARY ISSUE
USGI Military IMPROVED DUFFEL BAG

Color: Olive Drab Green
Dimensions: 32" x 12" x 12.5"
Condition: Very Good

~FREE SHIPPING~

Made for the U.S. Military with Superior Materials and Workmanship
NOT A CHEAP INFERIOR IMITATION!
Made in the USA

Genuine U.S. Military Issue
NSN: 8465-01-604-6541

New Version Duffel / Clothing Bag.
This New Enhanced Bag was introduced to the Military in 2013

Topping the list for improvement for this new duffel bag that has four straps and zips from Both Sides. This means you don't have to empty the bag to get something from the bottom.
HEAVY DUTY Cordura Nylon U.S. Army Duffle / Flight Bag

Double Material Web Adjustable PADDED Shoulder Straps with Quick Release & Grab Handle Plus a Small Cargo Pocket on the Top Measuring 8"x 7" w/ Velcrro Closure. They can Easily Carry Over 70 Pounds. The Most Amount that Airlines (USED TO, Without Extra Cost!)let you Carry on International Flights. This Bag will Last for Years and Years.

These bags are Nearly Indestructible while being Mildew Resistant and Water Repellent. Perfect for Tools, Camping Gear, Sporting Goods, Decoys, or anything else that you can dream up.

Features:   
Completely Foldable
External Pocket
Padded Shoulder Straps to be used as a Backpack
Metal Clasp with Post and (1) Ring/Eyelet which can be Locked (Pad lock not included)
Heavy Duty Grab Handle
Mildew and Water Resistant
Dimensions are: 34" Height x 15" Diameter / Completely Foldable
Easily Carries over 70 Pounds / Item weight is 2 Lb 11 Oz
ITEM CONDITION: VERY GOOD CONDITION: NO HOLES, RIPS OR TEARS. MAY HAVE WRITING AND SMALL REPAIRS NO PAINT. Good Crisp Color. These bags are used and may have small repairs which would be professionally done by our seamstress. These bags have been inspected and are Free of Rips, Tears, or Other Damage. They are in Excellent Functional Condition. All buckles and straps work well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk