Great, now everybody knows about MREs

Started by majorhavoc, June 09, 2021, 05:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

majorhavoc

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/08/dining/mre-meals-ready-to-eat.html?action=click&module=Editors%20Picks&pgtype=Homepage
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/08/dining/mre-meals-ready-to-eat.html?action=click&module=Editors%20Picks&pgtype=Homepage

This NYTimes article caught my eye.  Beyond looking at how MREs have become part of the mainstream culture (and thus more expensive for us preppers), it includes some interesting information on the science behind developing and testing of military meals.  The article has its fair share of factual omissions and some gross generalizations.  But it also features two of my favorite YT MRE reviewers, Steve1989MREInfo and EmmyMade.  I cannot believe Emmy Cho is 43 years old.  She looks like she's maybe 24.

A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

boskone

I've had people ask about MREs before, being somewhat known as a prepper.  My usual statement is along the lines "They're better than nothing, but far less than ideal".

IMO, MREs are basically only good if you need an entirely self-contained meal, or maybe 2-3.  Otherwise they're pretty damned heavy.

Ignoring shorter-term hiking food options, Mountain House or similar are a better bet IMO for emergencies because they're lighter.  You do need water, but if you have freeze-dried meals (or MREs) but not water treatment, you're asking for it.  For hiking (also my BoB), I have several days' MH meals.

That said, I do have some MREs; I bought them for a joke a few years back, and leave one in the bottom of my GHB.  That's about the best use I can think of for one: self-contained, edible cold or with a relatively small amount of water.

RoneKiln

I was a fan of MREs before Y2K when they were still cheap. I could get cases of them at surplus stores by Ft Lewis for $10 (yes, a full case of 12 complete meals). Sometimes for $5 a case if there was a good sale and the lady behind the counter thought you were cute. Y2K made them mainstream and ruined all the good deals.

I don't think I've seen MREs at a price point that was the slightest bit tempting to me since then.

When people ask me about them I advise stocking the normal pantry a little better.

I keep a small amount of freeze dried stuff that is really more for backpacking but doubles for emergencies. I also keep a pretty good stock of life raft rations cause I like them. They make a great lowcost breakfast or energy bar. I'd hate to live off them, but I could for a long time.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

12_Gauge_Chimp

My oldest brother gave me a case and a half of MREs he'd gotten from the National Guard after Hurricane Harvey smacked the Gulf Coast.

I was all excited to get them since I love MREs, but when I got them, they were the crappy reduced sodium civilian style ones and not the actual military issue ones I'd anticipated.

So now they live in a Rubbermaid tote in my closet waiting for the absolute worst case scenario (or if I can find someone out here who wants to trade some military MREs for them).

Atlantic Firearms occasionally has a deal where you get two cases of MREs (the military type ones) for like 170 bucks and I'm tempted to spring for a case of them.

the_alias

I have never liked MREs - something about them just puts me off completely.

But they did inspire me to get my own dehydrator and start making my own food so there is that.
Few die from pushing on, more die from giving up

Raptor

I try to discourage the purchase of MREs for all but limited situations. In my area the heat ruins them very quickly. They are expensive and for  the cost of 12 MRE meals ~ $100 there are a lot better options.

If people want shelf stable entrees I suggest:
Hormel Completes  are similar to MRE entrees @ about $2 each albeit with a shorter self life.

Chicken in a pouch or a can.
Canned tuna
pork in a pouch

There are several ready to serve rice and pasta/noodles in a pouch

The one place where I do have MREs is in the office where they can be stored at a consistent temperature. However, even there since we have a large mostly empty fridge and I simply put the case in there to extend its life.

Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

NT2C

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on June 11, 2021, 10:47:10 AM
Atlantic Firearms occasionally has a deal where you get two cases of MREs (the military type ones) for like 170 bucks and I'm tempted to spring for a case of them.

Holy crap that's expensive!   :smiley_shock:

Last time I looked at MREs online was when they were going for about $65/case
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

sheddi

I've got a bunch of British ORPs in the cupboard, slowly getting older. You used to be able to pick them up for £5 each (that's around $7 for a full day's ration, roughly three MREs worth) but they're more like £10 to £15 now which has discouraged me from rotating them out.

I've also got two (exactly two) French RCIRs that I bought for an event/trip that got cancelled. It may even have been a ZSC:010 one :( I really must eat them.

(ORP - Operational Ration Pack; RCIR - Ration de Combat Individuelle Rechauffable [individual re-heatable combat ration].)

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: NT2C on June 11, 2021, 12:13:16 PM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on June 11, 2021, 10:47:10 AM

Holy crap that's expensive!   :smiley_shock:

Last time I looked at MREs online was when they were going for about $65/case

I figure 170 bucks is still better than what they were going for at the height of the pandemic last year. Various sellers on Amazon tried to sell single cases of MREs for almost 500 bucks a case.

I know this because I've got MREs on my Amazon wishlist and literally overnight they went from about 90 bucks a case to almost 500 bucks a case. Some sellers even tried to sell single MRE meals that usually go for about 6 bucks a pop for almost 40 per single meal.

One single meal for 40 bucks.

That's like Cheaper Than Dirt level of price gouging right there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk