Main Menu

Secondary exposure

Started by SCBrian, December 27, 2021, 02:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCBrian

Well, the last few days have been itchy.   I followed wife's advise and went to a DR this time.
I'm either allergic to the soap we just changed to (but is listed on websites as supposedly skin-safe) or I somehow managed to expose myself to poison ivy.  The soap has been the only real change though.  So other than a sudden onset of me being suddenly allergic to something else, I'm guessing its the PI.

I'll call this a prep failure as it could have been avoided.  I'm going under the assumption it was the tools.
As detailed in this thread, I've become sensitive to PI after 45 odd years (son still carries the immunity, yay, genes)).  ( https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=572.msg9716#msg9716 )

And last week i started working the raised bed garden.  ( https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=605.msg10866#msg10866 )

My assumption at this point is that the only way I could be exposed was that we didn't decom the hand tools after removing bushes/PI and using them for the garden bed.  Everything me and Pvt have used has been hot water scrubbed and pressure washed off at this point in hopes we cleared it.  But when I said I've become overly sensitive to it, I mean it.  This is the apparent result of using 'clean'-ish tools that I can only guess had urishol on them...

Both hands, , forearms, some on legs, a few spots on neck, face and scalp.  Oh,  and a spot that should not be mentioned.  Started showing it's head on Thursday/Friday, powered through the weekend cause holidays, and then listened to wife's advice to see Dr.

OTC cortisone only took the itch away for an hour or so, Dr prescribed a steroid course and some better cream.

Lesson learned:  Keep tools separate and decom everything after use.  make it a priority.
On the plus side, the only PI left in the yard is on the far end, and I have no issues hitting it with chemicals until it dies.

BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

NT2C

Just don't try to burn the PI.  The smoke from that is not something anyone should breathe.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

Crosscut

Well that sucks, and never having had any immunity yours looks the same as when I tangle with it accidentally.  Antihistamines can help with the itching some.   

SCBrian

Quote from: NT2C on December 27, 2021, 02:50:38 PM
Just don't try to burn the PI.  The smoke from that is not something anyone should breathe.

Yah,  I used to teach boy scouts all about it, but for me it was pretty academic as PI never bothered me.

Quote from: Crosscut on December 27, 2021, 03:30:43 PM
Well that sucks, and never having had any immunity yours looks the same as when I tangle with it accidentally.  Antihistamines can help with the itching some.   

Yea, unfortunately I'm getting the crash course on what/how to avoid.  Need to relearn 40-odd years of habits in the woods, etc...   As for the antihistamines, I double dosed last night to get a solid nights sleep...  lol

BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk