Trimaco XL Tyvek Paint Protective Coveralls (Review in story form)

Started by SCBrian, November 24, 2021, 05:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCBrian

Tl:dr at end. 

Hour 0

The time had come.  The bushes had been spared for a few months because they had been sheltering some wildlife.  As Winter came into full season, the Commander (SWMBO) pointed the finger of death at them.  "You've got a few days off,  go ahead and pull the bushes since everything has left for warmer climates. 
I had been preparing for this.  I knew it was coming.  Over the summer, I had found out my 40+ year immunity to Poison Ivy had failed.  Either that or the PI on my property was a particularly nasty strain.  The previous encounter with this vile disease left me close to heading to a Med facility for treatment, so I had planned to limit exposure.  And the bushes were rife with it.  Disposable gloves had been purchased, along with a Tyvek suit to keep me safe.  I looked over at the Private and he knew it was time to pay for the meals, communications gear and other benefits of sheltering in this FOB.

He looked on with a grin as I 'suited up'.  I had purchased a "Genuine Dupont Tyvek suit" offering "Full coverage" including shoe coverage and a hoodie.  in fact  this exact model - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Trimaco-XL-Tyvek-Paint-Protective-Coveralls/50281813.  It was rated for 5'8" to 6'3" and 150 - 230#.  I was near the top end, but still in the spec.  It was a snug fit, but wasn't particularly tight.  I feel like I could paint or sand in it.  The shoe portion was built for someone with smaller feet.  Strangely, one she fit OK, and the other didn't, leading me to think there may have been some manufacturing issues.  I walked outside and maneuvered the pickup truck to the back yard to begin the process...

Hour 1

We began by working with machetes to separate the bushes and give us 'line of sight' on the trunks of them.  I was forced to remove the hood as the noise was somewhat overwhelming.  The the "Grippy" nubs on the gloves began to fail.  Not totally, but some had fallen off or separated from the gloves with just a little use of the blades.  This should have been a warning, but I pushed forward.  First bush ready.  Hooked a chain to it, went to the truck, and gave it a jerk in 1st gear.  Pulled right out.  This would be the last of the easy ones. 

Hour 2

The bushes have fought back by apparently developing tap roots.  The chain wants to slide over the trunk and branches, striping them of leaves and bark, but doing nothing about actually removing them from the ground.  Time for some Shovel and Axe work.  We began by shoveling out a small section to cut any top roots that may be holding us back, this seemed to work as the next tug from the truck pulled everything out.  Except the main root.  It was at least visible now and subject to our demolition.  It was about as large as a can of green beans.  Not to large, but large enough that it shook off the assault from the shovel.  It was time for the big boy.  I grabbed the axe.  As I swung the axe in an over the shoulder motion I felt a tug - then a cool breeze on my backside.  After removing the axe from the now severed root system, the private looked at me and mentioned he liked how my suit was air conditioned and complimented me on the fact I had the foresight to wear shorts and a tshirt under it.  At this point the decision was made to continue working, as it needed to be done anyway.

Hour 3
8 bushes have been removed with prejudice and we begin decom procedures.  The remaining suit was removed and inverted into it's self for disposal as were the gloves.  Base layers were removed and piled on the floor for an automated cleaning cycle (or 2).  Decom agents were handed out (Dawn dish soap) and private was instructed to scrub well as we went to our separate shower facilities.
After decom - 2 ounces of medicine  were consumed (Macallan 12) for prophylaxis.

Hour 4+
There is some site work left to finish the mission, but it will wait until supplies are brought in.  The vile contagion seems to appear from 3-7 days after exposure, so it will be a waiting game. 

tl:dr
Tyvek suit that should have fit, had a failure at first sign of 'hard' work.  The work load was not terrible - I wasn't doing anything truly 'hard'.  I would have concerns wearing this for anything other than it's stated purpose or anything that might take some physical activity.
Lessons learned:
1. Try on the suit for fit and range of motion. Just because it says it'll fit, doesn't mean it will.
2. Rethink use and possibly replace stored suit with a higher quality/purpose built/larger version.
3. Need something better than duct tape to secure gloves to suit.
4. Still thinking. 

BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

flybynight

Next time
Bigger suit. Use rubber coated work gloves. Masking tape should be fine to anchor the suit to gloves. Sheesh you're not entering a BSL  containment.  Wear crocs or some other step in sandal to help protect the booties
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

Raptor

Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

SCBrian

Quote from: flybynight on November 25, 2021, 10:03:26 AM
Next time
Bigger suit. Use rubber coated work gloves. Masking tape should be fine to anchor the suit to gloves. Sheesh you're not entering a BSL 3 or 4 containment.  Wear crocs or some other step in sandal to help protect the booties

Ya, it was definitly a stress test of the system, but it does point out the shortcomings.  The cheap nubby gloves were used for 'cheap' and 'disposable' reasons (Specifically for this task).  I may def up the storage to a better caliber of gloves.  I'm still torn on the suit. The fit was good, except when doing I guess a full body stretch/sudden move.  I feel I'd be ok, Sanding in the suit, maybe even light auto work.  It's just not up to more labor-intense activities, and therefor I question it's use for 'need a safety suit to go downtown,etc. 
Duct tape was readily available, and I knew it was all going to be disposable anyway.  If I was going to attempt to save it, I would likely used painters tape or as you said, masking tape. 
QuoteSheesh you're not entering a BSL 3 or 4 containment. 
Lol,  When I said my reaction was bad, I do mean that.  Wiley actually wanted me to see the Dr. (I just kept lathering on the hydrocortisone and suffered). 
I'd go on to say that Shoes and movement are definitely going to be a problem in this if someone is walking on a hard/rough surface.  Foot pads will need reinforcing to stay sealed, or plan for that area failing.  (Or are you suggesting sandals on the outside of the suit?

Overall - I consider it a test of 'heavy - real world' use.  Would I be removing bushes in a contaminated environment when SHTF? No.  But I may have to travel and visit stores, or traverse damaged areas, and the shortcomings in the suit should be a concern. 
BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

flybynight

flybynight

Raptor

I deal with poison ivy a lot. Just a suggestion. Wait for a hot day and spray it generously with Roundup. Let the Roundup do its thing and the PI to die. A lot but not all of the time it will get to the PI root and kill the plant. Then use a shovel to dig it up.

This guy has good advice except for the parts where his handling PI without ppe.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyoDRHpQK0&feature=youtu.be

As for PPE I use a rain suit and pants. Simple cheap wading boots tucked into the pants work well. The key problem is the face. I wear a hat with mosquito net hood.

I hose off outside shuck the rainsuit and wash it all in hot water and soap.

I also wash my hands first throughly with dawn dishsoap the take a cold water shower and wash with the dishsoap. This is to get rid of the PI oil.

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

SCBrian

Oh yea, I've one or 2 places in the yard that I'm going to have to hit surgically as the wife doesn't want the underlying plants killed.  If it was say on a fence or similar - I've a spray that'll kill anything.  I went in to a landscape supply store some years back when dealing with brush between a chainlink (my side) and a privacy fence (neighbor side).  I told him, I wanted to create a 'dead zone' in the 6 inches between my chainlink and the privacy fence.   Attendant couldn't give me the 'good stuff' without a permit, but pointed me to 3 products that when mixed together worked just as well. 
Question though.  Other than the self punishment (as we live in roughly the same climate) why do I want to wear a rainsuit and do yard work on a hot day?  :icon_crazy:
I do need to rethink the gear though.  Are you talking big yellow rainsuit type, or something more like frogtogs?

Raptor

I wear the rainsuit for only a short period of time needed to deal with the PI. I generally do this only in the am. It is hot for the 20 +/- minutes it takes to deal with the pi but it beats having a pi rash for a week. I just dig up as much as i can until i get too hot.

I wear a pvc coat and pants like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Adult-Rain-Suit-Large/dp/B00IEUC62S/ref=sr_1_52?keywords=pvc+rain+suits+for+men+waterproof&qid=1637894402&qsid=147-2783499-9670648&sr=8-52&sres=B004UT901M%2CB07RH84K4X%2CB005KQ3IVW%2CB07SC4YHCZ%2CB00363PRJW%2CB07SC4Z77P%2CB007JO0P5A%2CB00YPD8PT6%2CB01MAUL2B1%2CB08DT6ZMWG%2CB0949B65GS%2CB088WGP741%2CB005LB8GFY%2CB01N4MAVQ9%2CB08S76RKDT%2CB00363X5T6%2CB0052WTQ4W%2CB007X5XD4U%2CB083NSK2GP%2CB07BMSX4DJ&srpt=COAT

But Frogtogs would also work. Tyvek suits IMO are no cooler than the PVC.

I suggest doing things like this in fall and winter when the temperature is more reasonable. I use Roundup in the summer to keep the PI under control. When doing yard work I always wear long pants and long sleeve shirt...even in the freaking hot summer. That said I try to do any yard work early in the AM and quit by 10 am from April through Oct.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk