Shelter kit, sleeping.

Started by TACAIR, March 24, 2024, 07:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TACAIR

While doing my semi-annual mid-winter maintenance on this 'system' I took a few images to share.

This is a 'Shelter sleep system" which is designed to be used in a shelter - a public shelter, post disaster. Last Nov 2018, Anchorage was hit with a 7.2 earthquake in our back yard, in a manner of speaking. Had my primary residence been declared off-limits (and the secondary and ...) and I was forced to go to a public shelter to stay warm...I'd have this.

Local public shelters can be organized - can be. These shelters would normally have cots, blankets and water. In case I had to use a local school building (secondary for the Muni) I would not have said cots, blanket etc. As a ham, I've participated in a few 'shelter' exercises, so understand what might be provided under the best of circumstances. However, I'd much rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified (and cold) optimist, so I have and carry my own swag.

This system gives me a 'ground cloth', cover, insulated/reflecting pad, a layer of fleece and a wool blanket (hospital sized) change of clothes, underthings and a basic hygiene kit. Should I be fortunate enough to have a cot, then the ground cloth will provide a way to keep chill air out from under said cot....

Wood Jewellery Fashion accessory Leather Metal

Old version - 22 inches rolled with carry handle.

Wood Hat Felidae Natural material Linens

ground cloth, cover and wool blanket. The ground cloth is a shelter half, the cover is a Cover, Bag, Sleeping, poplin (AKA fart sack of days gone by)

Automotive tire Building Wood Bumper Tread

cover and Reflctrix insulating pad

Helmet Grey Rectangle Wood Plant

Now with 1 yd of fleece in place

Grey Tints and shades Pattern Wood Linens

here you can see the fleece in double folded for 4 layers- 2 under/over or 4 under/over.

Automotive tire Bumper Wood Rectangle Automotive exterior

Full up system with foldback (~22 inches)

Grey Bag Metal Fashion accessory Auto part

Now rolled to just 17 Inches wide

Plant Petal Grey Sleeve Tree

and about 1/3 'thicker' than the original roll.

This stays in the vehicle full time. 2x a year the soft parts are run thru the dryer to ensure they are...well, dry.
I sleep on my side mostly, so this gives me a lot of flexibility. My clothing is seasonally appropriate and my coat would serve as a pillow.

I've updated since the photo session -
The Cover, bag was replaced with a no-name nylon (not quite a bivy bag/more of a) sleeping bag cover. The 'bottom' is coated, much like a USGI poncho. Added a second heavy wool blanket + original fleece cover. Added a change of clothes, drawers & a set of PJ trouswers & fleece shirt.

The other upgrade part is a 'survival tarp' (aluminized heavy mylar? w/brass grommets) inside of the and wrapped in a double ended shelter half.

This set up is driven from experience. Few people have had the "opportunity" to sleep on the (hard cement) floor of a public shelter - typically a school of some sort.

My first experience with this was, oddly, in 1979 while AD USAF and we crashed at a school in Moses Lake, WA. Later, for another week, we stayed in a semi-abandoned building at the former Larson AFB, outside of Moses Lake. While many settled in on the concrete floors, I was lucky enough to know the wooden stage deck or the top of an office desk would be 'less' cold. It was after this I started carrying my own (insulated) swag. This was part of a (very badly planned and executed) military exercise hosted by SAC.... I learned a lot of other things as well.

Need a kit?  Roll your own, much cheaper!
I'd much rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist....

My fiction work is found here:
https://www.amazon.com/D-K-Richardson/e/B005JT4QP2/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

TACAIR

Weight?

The blankets alone weight n at 5kg, not counting all the other stuff. This is for lugging from Das Auto to a shelter/building. Not for crossing the high Sierras on foot.... Why I call it a Shelter Sleep System.

For several summers I had a gig as a cook/security dude at a girls camp (teens) in rural AK. I used this as a primary sleep system in a covered but otherwise unheated shelter. The cot was a bonus to my way of thinking.

This is much more than the classic Bag, Sleeping, Wool type 27-B-317 and less than a Navy Model 1935 Canvas Bedroll Bedding Roll - simply because the USGI versions are priced to stupid levels and the current commercial replacements are even more expensive. So, I rolled my own here.

Yes, I have a MSS w/bivy and a nice down bag - and I don't want to leave either of these on the floorboards of Das Auto. Looks like junk=less likely to get boosted....
I call this the "BMW Effect" as in someone will Break My Windows.  

BTW - wool blankets are not cheap - consider fleece blankets or at least so-called throws - tow of those are at least as warm as a wool blanket.  They weigh much less and dry quickly.
Use around a campfire is no Bueno.  
These fleece throws or blankets are sometimes called "mink blankets."  Check closer before buying,. a single bed width is plenty for your roll.  Sold everyplace from WallyWorld to Home Depot.  Shop around, prices can vary wildly.

TACAIR

Just completed the winter change over and added a upgrade.

The Cover, bag was replaced with a no-name nylon (not quite a bivy bag/more of a) sleeping bag cover. The 'bottom' is coated, much like a USGI poncho. Added a second heavy wool blanket + original fleece cover. Added a change of drawers & a set of PJ trousers.

The other upgrade part is a 'survival tarp' (aluminized heavy mylar? w/brass grommets) inside of the bivy and wrapped in a double ended shelter half.

Now a considerably larger roll, but still fits on the floorboard behind the front seat. Now have 4 x 1 QT Fuji bottles for water (ice really)

I did this upgrade because of a 4.2 earthquake in the north end of town recently.  First major quake on 'this side' of the Kink arm of the Cook inlet. Couldn't take the chance on this not being a precursor shaker....

Chow, SVEA 123, cook set and all that 'normal' load is still squared away and on board Das Auto, so good that way. Did add 3 x MREs to a 'door load' bag that stays in the house. Lethally cold weather is just about done here - for now.

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

TACAIR

Thank you for the kind words.  I'm pleased you found it useful.

Uomo Senza Nome

Interesting. Ive been wondering what to go with for an RV in case of no heat.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid. "

"There's plain few problems can't be solved with a little sweat and hard work."

NT2C

I was wondering what a "Sheter Kit, sleeping" was.  My brain kept alternating between a spelling error in "shelter" or how to catch 40 winks in an outhouse.   :icon_crazy:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

TACAIR

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Quote from: NT2C on April 06, 2024, 05:34:32 PMI was wondering what a "Sheter Kit, sleeping" was.  My brain kept alternating between a spelling error in "shelter" or how to catch 40 winks in an outhouse.   :icon_crazy:
ROFLOL

NT2C

Quote from: Ever (Zombiepreparation) on April 07, 2024, 05:26:36 PM
Quote from: NT2C on April 06, 2024, 05:34:32 PMI was wondering what a "Sheter Kit, sleeping" was.  My brain kept alternating between a spelling error in "shelter" or how to catch 40 winks in an outhouse.   :icon_crazy:
ROFLOL
Both of which I have actually done.

:smiley_shrug:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk