Author Topic: DIY Floodlight Tower  (Read 422 times)

Online NT2C

• Administrator
  • Epic Member
  • Reactions:
Re: DIY Floodlight Tower
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2021, 02:44:40 AM »
For a pleasant atmosphere at outdoor events, string lights are far better than one or two light towers and in many locations easier to set up. They're affordable and very versatile.
They also do a nice job of providing illumination in tents and under canopies.  Back when I was doing more ham work I have a 10'x20' shelter we would use for things like Field Day.  I had two strings of LED Christmas lights, one red and one white that I'd string back and forth the length of the shelter, held to the crossbars with zip ties.  That way I could have just red light for late at night, white for early evening chow, and the combination gave a nice soft white illumination that wasn't glaring on computer screens.  Best of all, being LED they didn't draw much from the generator.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Offline EBuff75

• No, I'm the other one.
  • Paid Member
  • I'm new (aren't we all?) and I have changed this.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2021, 09:07:58 AM »
For a pleasant atmosphere at outdoor events, string lights are far better than one or two light towers and in many locations easier to set up. They're affordable and very versatile.

That's what they were using for the concessions / vendor tents, but for the 20,000+ sq ft area (approximately 150 ft diameter) where people are seated for the movie, we need something with a lot more power in order for the center of it to get any light.  We are talking about using string lights all along the path used to reach the event (from the gate to the main driveway inside).  We would just have to work out a good way to suspend them (shepherd's hooks work well, but they're absurdly expensive!). 

Our tripod should arrive today or tomorrow.  Then we just need to make a crossbar and mount the lights.  Then we can test it out!
Information - it’s all a battle for information. You have to know what’s happening if you’re going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Offline EBuff75

• No, I'm the other one.
  • Paid Member
  • I'm new (aren't we all?) and I have changed this.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2021, 08:40:09 PM »
Should've taken a picture tonight, but forgot to.  We've put together our low-buck floodlight tower, using two 10,000 lumen work lights, a 13 ft photography light tripod, and a 1" piece of aluminum square tube.  The tripod is fairly sturdy and should work well, as long as we put some weights/anchors on it to keep it in place if the wind picks up.  We put it up in the Jaycees Hall where we were meeting this evening and it easily lit up the whole room.  Everything breaks down and goes back into the bag/boxes for storage in just a couple of minutes.

We're planning to test it outside at some point and I'll try to remember to take some pictures when we do that.  Not bad for about $100 total!
Information - it’s all a battle for information. You have to know what’s happening if you’re going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk