daily COVID sitrep where you are

Started by Ever (Zombiepreparation), June 07, 2021, 04:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flybynight

Guess that explains how so many deer were exposed to covid.  It also causes me to  wonder about it being in our drinking water.  Which then triggers that conspiracy prone portion of my mind  normally hidden with tin foil to exclaim ,biological weapon
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

QuoteFriday, Nov 19
- ↗ Average daily case count 21.36
- ↘ Average positive rate 4.3%
- ↗ Current active cases 416
- ⬆ Current hospitalized 8 (out of 24 ICU beds)
- ↔ Total deceased 108
- ↗ Incidence rate per 100,000... 248.57

hmm, guess it's looking stronger for the likelyhood of an upswing.

Monday, November 22, 2021
Kansas
my county's 14 day rolling average

- ↗ Average daily case count 22.79
- ↗ Average positive rate 4.8%
- ↗ Current active cases 429
- ↘ Current hospitalized 7 (out of 24 ICU beds)
- ↔ Total deceased 108
- ↗ Incidence rate per 100,000... 265.19

Zed hunter

New mask mandate city and county of Denver. Unless a representative of the establishment checks your vaccine card at the door.

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Friday, December 3, 2021
Kansas

- ↗ Average daily case count 26.57
- ↗ Average positive rate 5%
- ↗ Current active cases 498
- ↗ Current hospitalized 8 (out of 24 ICU beds)
- ↗ Total deceased 109
- ↗ Incidence rate per 100,000... 309.25

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Monday, December 6, 2021
Kansas

- ↗ Average daily case count 30.57
- ↗ Current active cases 537
- ↗ Current hospitalized 11 (out of 24 ICU beds)
- ↔ Total deceased 109
- ↗ Incidence rate per 100,000... 355.81

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Wednesday, December 8, 2021
Kansas

- ↗ Average daily case count 30.87
- ↗ Current active cases 619
- New cases since Monday 120
- ⬆ Current hospitalized 17 (out of 24 ICU beds)
- ↗ Total deceased 110
- ↗ Incidence rate per 100,000... 359.13

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Friday, December 10, 2021
Kansas

- ↗ Average daily case count 33.64
- ? Current active cases 612 ?
- ↗ New cases since Wednesday 85
- ↗ Current hospitalized 18 (out of 24 ICU beds)
- ↔ Total deceased 110
- ⬆ Incidence rate per 100,000... 414.83

My county's hospital has opened up a covid unit due to the recent uptick in coronavirus inpatients. We are currently experiencing high transmission.  Our health officer and infectious disease physician said people should be masked if they're in indoor public spaces or outdoor crowded spaces, especially with cases rising and the upcoming holidays. To be mindful of who we're around and who we will be around in the future. Even if we're not at high risk, that there's likely someone in one of our circles who is and we need to take care of each other.

Reasonable, logical... kind. Though only two people of all I know IRL gets the logic... or maybe, on the other hand gives a frak about the kindness.

Humans confuse me. 👵

Am so much better prepared though than this time in 2020; vaxed boosted, better 'best current confirmable data' available. Better door to hallway inflow/outflow mitigation, as well as in apartment air cleaners. Big thanks and great admiration to those who continue their medical focus on this rascal of a virus, in the where, what, and how of it as well as ongoing research to treat it, and those who continue in medical facilities to do their best to treat us. As well as those who gave their best for so long, then crashed and burned from the weight and had to leave the field. ❤

And to the support & prep information I get here. So, many many thanks to NT2C for making UFoZS happen. ❤

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Monday, December 13, 2021
Kansas
Well, we're definitely beginning the surge being driven by Delta. Which is coming at the same time larger and largers nunbers Kansans are just done with it, taken it off their radar, don't care and don't want to know.

One of my good friends told me yesterday "I have decided tune the whole thing out now, do what I want, when I want, where and how I want."

I asked about still helping to try to keep the immune compromised like me protected. "I don't care anymore. It's Christmas and I just want fun.

And here I thought Christmas was 'the' time for caring.  😔

- ⬆ Average daily case count 42.79
- ↗ Current active cases 651
- ? New cases since Wednesday 82 ?
- ↘ Current hospitalized 15 (in new COVID ward)
- ↗ Total deceased 111
- ⬆⬆ Incidence rate per 100,000... 497.96

Our Lt. Governor reaffirmed to the State Finance Council the importance of maintaining testing during a time when case numbers are climbing.

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment's states the "employer and community testing programs, which were set up early in the pandemic response, are really critical to ensuring our management of the pandemic, it's especially important to continue this testing and make sure that it's available across our state, both for those who are experiencing symptoms or those that have potential exposures to COVID-19 in their communities."

The finance council — made up of Senate and House Leadership, as well as the Governor — moved unanimously to approve the additional funds. The money would come from recouped COVID-19 relief funds and maintain testing through Dec. 31.

lurkedthere

Quote from: Ever (Zombiepreparation) on December 13, 2021, 06:14:27 PM
Monday, December 13, 2021
Kansas
Well, we're definitely beginning the surge being driven by Delta....
-snip-

This is interesting. In the UK we have probably had our Delta surge with infection rates being high for the last 3 or 4 months (since most of the precautions were revoked) but the vaccines appeared to hold up well. Those high infection levels were not translating into high hospitalisations and deaths (depending upon your interpretation of high).

However Omicron appears to be spreading like wildfire with a doubling of infections every 2 to 3 days and predictions by the science bods that it will be the dominant variant within a week.

What we know - 2 doses protection is much weaker than compared to Delta for symptomatic illness but a booster appears to largely restore this.

What we don't know - how effective 2 doses are in protecting against severe illness and death. Also how well founded are reports that Omicron is significantly milder than Delta. We don't know yet because Omicron has not been around long enough to have reached these outcomes in significant numbers.

It will be interesting to see if the US does get a Delta driven surge or if Omicron outcompetes it.

Much of the above discussed here :-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59615005

RoneKiln

I'm hopeful of the currently understood numbers being pretty relevant even if not perfectly accurate.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/britain-says-omicron-spreading-phenomenal-rate-2021-12-13/

An estimated 200,000 new cases a day with only 10 hospitalizations and 1 death? If that holds up, omicron taking over would be wonderful.

However, I'm also open to the possibility mild symptoms don't mean there isn't some sort of horrific damage being done to an organ or three that isn't apparent for several years.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Wednesday, December 15, 2021
Kansas

- ↗ Average daily case count 42.93
- ⬆ Current active cases 724
- ⬆ New cases since Monday 131
- ↗ Current hospitalized 17 (in new COVID ward)
- ↗ Total deceased 112
- ↗ Incidence rate per 100,000... 499.63

Climbing.
Not my favorite word right now

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Sunday, December 20, 2021
Kansas

- ↗ Average daily case count 44.93
- ⬆ Current active cases 786
- ↗ New cases since the 18th...  58
- ↘ Current hospitalized 15 (in new COVID ward)
- ↗ Total deceased 113
- ↗ Incidence rate per 100,000... 517.08

It looks like the flu vaccine predicters may have had a curve ball thrown at them this year with the flu variant showing up they did not see coming....+ a covid variant running rampant. So this apartment building is going to be a virus aerosol container of coughing sneezing snuffling hallways filled contagious Winter Fest. (the new variant is now dominant in the US. My county just documented a case which with its 2-3 day replication rate should find us crawling with it the middle of next week. LOL

🌲Deck the (literal) halls with boxes of tissues and ha-a-a-and sanitizer too 🌲 fa la la la laa la la la laaa
😊

Since our recent wind storm I've picked up a couple of buckets of sticks to power my small Biolite for phone charging just in case winter comes to Kansas this year and we're without power for a bit.

The larder's reasonably stocked if the building becomes infected & I bug in again.

The apt is festivly decorated for the holidays. With a homemade hearth made with a crate box/fireplace wood/LED lights& youtube audio of a crackling fireplace hidden next to it. A the inner cords of paracord for ice sickles

sheddi

another month, another very late UK update from me.

Here's the situation for us, as of Tuesday December 21, 2021.

Family:
We're still managing to dodge the virus. I've finished work for the year, the kids have finished school, and Mrs Sheddi is working from home. Unless we catch it on one of are infrequent grocery shopping trips we'll hopefully remain COVID-free until the New Year.
Me and Mrs Sheddi have both had boosters to go with our two original jabs, the 17-yo is double-vaxxed and thr 15-yo is single-vaxxed, with a second due in late Jan/early Feb.

Local area:
The local case rate is 809 cases per 100k people, up 51% from a week ago. That's crazy.
86% of eligible 12+ in my area have had one dose of vaccine and 81% have had two doses. I can't easily find local stats on booster doses but will have a bit more of a search later.

Mask wearing seems to be coming back into fashion; most (but not quite all) shoppers and staff have been wearing them on my recent retail excursions. (They have been legally mandated since the 10th of December so the inprovement on a month ago isn't surprising.)

National:
The national case rate is 777 per 100k (up 63% on the week). There have been 6100 hospital patients admitted in the past week (up 2%) and 808 COVID-related deaths (flat). Given the rate that cases have risen I'm not surprised to see hopsitalisation and deaths lagging behind; next week's stats could be quite different.

Vaccination numbers are now just shy of 90% of 12+ with at least one dose, and 82% with two and 53% with a third booster.

Recent news reports have included stats that roughly one-sixth of COVID ICU patients are pregnant, and that being unvaccinated increases your chance of dying from COVID by 20x and your chance of dying at all by 3x. I'll look for sources for these and will add them if I can.

Good luck everyone.

RoneKiln

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/health/covid-fat-obesity.html

Looks like omicron may be a far greater risk to the US than it is in other countries due to our obesity rate. The comparitively low hospitalization and nearly nonexistent death rate from omicron in other countries had me rolling my eyes at some of the panic over it. But I may have been mistaken to assume the stats overseas were applicable to the US.

I've not seen any changes in anyone's behavior in my area.

My niece tested positive for Covid last night. She already is past nearly all the symptoms, which were very mild. But nearly all my family was exposed and have to go in for testing. So I might not be going back home for Christmas if one of my parents test positive. I should hear what my parents results are tomorrow.

Luckily all the adults in my family are vaccinated and nobody has shown any symptoms.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Quote from: RoneKiln on December 21, 2021, 08:09:13 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/health/covid-fat-obesity.html
Eye opening, giving me one of those moments when those long covid data saved in the back of my mind waiting for further data begins to see some connecting threads. I have been collecting anecdotal data on long covid since before it had a name or doctors were even recognizing it. In the Way Back when those poor people were just beginning to unite and cry out to the medical profession: "Hear us! We are ILL!"

Even alerted my doctor and therapist of them and the data I had so far, and to watch for them. Telling my therapist her field was going to be the first responders for them until the med profession (being overworked just dealing with the clearly ill) caught up. She examined all the data I gave her, agreed, and sent out a massive alert to her community that they were probably going to have these people show up because at that time they were being told they were not ill, it was all in their head and would probably seek mental health help.  (who took it seriously spread it to their wider national community)

She said they did begin coming and the therapists were also giving them the info I'd given her on where to connect with each other online.

So you finding this preliminary study with actual data that addresses the possibilities of wtf is happening is greatly meaningful to me.

I will be passing this on to her tomorrow.

🌲 🖖 👍
👵

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Quote from: RoneKiln on December 21, 2021, 08:09:13 PM
My niece tested positive for Covid last night. She already is past nearly all the symptoms, which were very mild. But nearly all my family was exposed and have to go in for testing. So I might not be going back home for Christmas if one of my parents test positive. I should hear what my parents results are tomorrow.

Luckily all the adults in my family are vaccinated and nobody has shown any symptoms.
🙂

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

December 22, 2021
Kansas

- ↗ Average daily case count 47
- ⬆ Current active cases 908
- ⬆⬆⬆ New cases since the 20th...  210
- ↘ Current hospitalized 12 (in new covid ward)
- ↔ Total deceased 113
- ↗ Incidence rate per 100,000... 547.01

Well, happy holidays to me(!) because it looks like covid is now over in my building, the guests who come here, and my grocery store. (I don't have a car so that's my visual frame of reference)

Management has notified the tenants that due to the fast growing spread security will no longer go in any apartment. Guess they just didn't get the memo that covid is done and dusted, finito, sayonara, all clear.

😏

sheddi

Here, have a midweek update!

The situation in the UK, as of Thursday December 23, 2021.

Family:
All clear of COVID, mostly set for the festive season. Very limited plans to leave the house over the next 4 days and most of the reasons will be "long walks in the countryside" where we're unlikely to meet anyone infectious.

Local area:
The local case rate is 892 cases per 100k people, up 52% from a week ago and up 10% from Tuesday. (Note there is a delay on these numbers; I might have to revise it.)
86% of eligible 12+ in my area have had one dose of vaccine and 81% have had two doses. 51% have had a third or booster dose. Good but not great.

National:
The national case rate is 881 per 100k up 53% on the week and 14% since Tuesday. There have been 6300 hospital patients admitted in the past week (up 4%) and 784 COVID-related deaths (down 2%).

Vaccination numbers are still just shy of 90% of 12+ with at least one dose, and 82% with two and 55% with a third booster.

News is reporting that Omicron could be 40% less dangerous than Delta but due to being more infectious the number of hopsitalisations might not be any lower.

sheddi

time for another from me, I guess.

The situation in the UK, as of Monday December 27, 2021.

Family:
All clear of COVID, unsurprisingly as we've hardly mixed with anyone for the past week. Familial commitments have been met via video calls, although we are hoping to meet some of them in person later in the week.
Oh, and someone - "Paul" - mis-typed their phone number when reporting their positive test to the NHS so my youngest is getting their texts and calls  :smiley_wtf:

Local area:
The local case rate is 1100 cases per 100k people (that's over 1% of the population confirmed infected simultaneously), up 42% from a week ago and up 25% from Thursday. A couple of districts across from us they're over 2000 per 100k, 2% of the population.
86% of eligible 12+ in my area have had one dose of vaccine and 80% have had two doses. 54% have had a third or booster dose. Not much change, which itself isn't a surprise as people have had other things to do over the past four days.

National:
The national case rate is also 1100 per 100k up 30% on the week and 20% since Thursday. There have been 6600 hospital patients admitted in the past week (up 8%) and 742 COVID-related deaths (down 6% but reporting is delayed by the public holidays).

Vaccination numbers are still just shy of 90% of 12+ with at least one dose, 82% with two and 56% with a third booster.

And that's about it.

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Over 6,900 new coronavirus cases reported since Wednesday in Kansas

My county reported 987 on Monday.

The county's protocol is for a mask mandate to be discussed by public health leaders once the county moves into a "code red" level of COVID transmission.

The county defines the code red level as when active case totals are above 1,000 or the 14-day average for new cases per day exceeds 50.

The case numbers don't yet include a surge from the omicron variant of the virus. This is all Delta.

We have no supply issues in getting either a booster or a vaccine dose. "We've got them all, and it's a la carte here,"

"The goal we always have on the table is how do we keep our health care system functioning."

Data released Monday showed that 16 inpatients were being treated for covid at our hospiy. Which is about half the number the hospital has treated at times during the pandemic, but the current numbers do not tell the full story about the strain the system is under.

A statistic that isn't widely reported is the number of health care professionals who are calling in sick and are unavailable to work on any given day. As that number goes up, the strain put on the health care system can increase, even if hospitalization numbers aren't hitting new highs.

It wasn't immediately clear on Tuesday how many health care employees at the hospital were out due to illness, but a leader at the hospital is saying the system was under strain.

"We are exhausted and stretched thin," our Health's vice president of clinical care and chief nursing officer, said.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk