COVID chat thread

Started by Ever (Zombiepreparation), July 14, 2021, 01:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCBrian

*Official Admin post*
I don't often flex my epeen, but I am an Admin, I just dont wear the uniform.  As such, I ask everyone in this thread to tread carefully. 
Please make note of RoneKiln's point below. 

QuoteIn this mode of communication, it's very easy for responsible discussion of those concerns to drift off into less constructive discussions. Or discussions that may be constructive for regulars that know and trust one another, but not so constructive for those that casually drop into the forum from time to time.

Please keep on topic.  Please take a deep breath before posting and try to post facts, not opinions. 
It's much easier to L&B a thread than try to weed out issues...
BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

Lambykins

Okay...
One of my friends got the vaccination. He was born the same year I was, has similar health issues and his doctor said "Yeah, you better get vaccinated, if you get Covid, it will kill you!"
My doctor said "IF you get Covid, it will probably kill you, BUT you will be equally endangered by the vaccine. Don't get vaccinated." (BTW, the last time I got a flu shot, it put me in the hospital for 5 days, 2 of them in ICU)
The main difference between me and my friend:
I have massive allergies, many of them medical (allergies to medications....lots of them). I also have sensitivities. For example, I am not allergic to codeine, however if I take it I will puke to the point  I will wish it had killed me! Besides most painkillers having that affect on me, I am allergic to penicillin and most everything related to it, plus I am sensitive to many of the non-penicillin antibiotics (massive vomiting, some cause me to get a high fever, still others give me uncontrollable diarrhea, etc.)
So, I am stuck in a medical limbo zone.
Dammed if I do, dammed if I don't.

I know some places have started the *vaccine passport* deal, and some jobs are requiring vaccination.
Where does that leave people like me?
Will there be a documentation required from a physician in order to travel or keep your job, etc?

I am genuinely worried about this.
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Dang rough place to find yourself in, Lambykins. Dang rough. Would that I could offer you more than my typed support on the internet. But, like that little drummer boy, I have no gifts to give you other than please know you will be specially held in my thoughts for the duration.

Or I could play my drum for you if you'd prefer because I do have a Bodhran. 🤗

Maybe a bit of both to give ya a laugh during this rough time?

RoneKiln

Quote from: Lambykins on August 14, 2021, 04:21:40 PM
I know some places have started the *vaccine passport* deal, and some jobs are requiring vaccination.
Where does that leave people like me?
Will there be a documentation required from a physician in order to travel or keep your job, etc?

I am genuinely worried about this.

That's a very real thing to be concerned about. Get your doctor to put in writing what they advised and why they advised it. There are some very strongly enforced federal laws protecting people with documented medical issues. It would suck to have to resort to leaning on those laws, but being ready to lean on those laws may reduce the odds you need to in the first place.

I'd get copies of what your doctor writes to your HR as well.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Lambykins

Thanks to all for the good wishes and suggestions.
First: We do not have a "HR" aka Human Resources department.
You got a problem with another employee or a situation at work?
Go in Lance or Brenda's office, kick the door shut, sit down and explain what is going on, why it is pissing you off and what you think they oughta do about it.
Use common sense. Don't rant and rave about someone "misgendering" you or sexual harassing you if you haven't told them to stop and corrected them yourself. Don't report someone's activities outside of work if it doesn't impact on their work behavior/performance. Lance doesn't give a shit if someone drinks themselves blackout drunk every night...as long as they aren't drunk at work and they can do their job.

Second: Lance has made it abundantly clear that the store WILL follow mask mandates and the like, BUT he will NOT interfere with an employees personal choices for their health care. We have *vaxxers* and *anti-vaxxers* both that work at the store. EVERYONE follows hygiene directives; i.e.; hand sanitizer every 20 minutes for cashiers, immediately after handling packages of raw meat, etc. Wash hands thoroughly every 2 hours or after bathroom break.

What genuinely concerns me is any travel I engage in. I know I can't go to Canada (20 minutes away) because you must have a vaccine passport to go there. (limited border crossings are now allowed with vaccine passport)
Vermont (less than a mile away from where I sit right now) has started rumbling about requiring it to attend certain social events there. (I have a friend getting married there in the Spring)
Concerts or any performing arts are going to be completely out of the question, I'm afraid.
I don't go to things like that very often, but I suspect I won't be going to any at all in the future.

Very glad my job doesn't entail travel...wondering what cross country truck drivers will have to face if they have to get vaccine passports if they have medical issues like I do!

"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

flybynight

"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

CG

Seeing more masks around here. Not mandated anywhere yet.

Anianna

The governor of Virginia recently mandated that all state employees either be vaccinated or undergo regular testing as of some time in September.  My husband is responsible for acquiring Covid tests for the largest department in the largest agency in the state.  There are no tests available on that scale.  He's scrambling to find a contractor who can supply them and he won't be the only one. 

This kind of requirement is being issued by many employers and governments across the country.  I expect the spike in demand will create a shortage over the next few months that will leave many employees in a limbo of violating mandates due to there being no tests available to take.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

∩(=^_^=)

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

This is from the BBC World Service 'Coronavirus Global Update'
I have been as yet unable to corroborate it in written word on internet. On the other hand, having followed its near daily 5 minute updates since March 2020, I have not seen them do salacious or clickbait type of reporting, nor do they do commentary reporting.

QuoteReports from Japan say venues for the Tokyo Olympics & Paralympics could temporarily be turned into coronavirus medical centers.

The country is [tacking? tracking? attacking?] a surge in cases and wants to ease pressure on the health system.

Japan is into its fifth wave of the coronavirus and emergency measures have been extended.

Built, ready & waiting. 👍

EDIT: Now I find it <facepalm>
Tokyo Mulls Over Converting Olympic Facilities into Temporary COVID-19 Hospitals
"While the local government must wait until after the Paralympics to convert the venues, it has set up 100-plus bed "oxygen stations" for patients at risk but with less serious symptoms."

Tokyo (Reuters)
"Authorities in the Japanese capital are considering plans to convert some of the city's Olympics and Paralympics venues into temporary medical facilities as they combat soaring COVID-19 infections that have piled pressure on the healthcare system.

"Medical experts have urged temporary use of facilities owned by the Tokyo government, such as the Tokyo Aquatics Centre, site of swimming competitions, and the Musashino Forest Sport Plaza used for badminton, the Sankei newspaper said.

"However, the earliest they could be drafted into use would be after the Paralympic Games."

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

( Same BBC report as above)

QuoteA new study in the UK will test how many antibodies participants have after testing positive for covid.

"Adults in Britain who test positive for covid-19 are to be invited to take part in a study to gage the effectiveness of vaccinations."

To me 'this' will be an important study as we continue to try to figure this virus out and work on reeling it into managable.

Once again, Go Brits.

Anianna

Japan is very likely going to put those venues to good use in that capacity.  They have the highest rate of antivax sentiment in the world that existed way before Andrew Wakefield falsified data and played a significant part in sending the western world into an antivax tizzy.  Distrust of vaccines in Japan is at least founded on the reality of poorly developed vaccines in that country in the past. 
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

∩(=^_^=)

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Johns Hopkins
"But what's curious is that it seems post-COVID-19 syndrome is not just afflicting people who were very sick with the coronavirus. "Patients who were never severely ill are coming to clinic and reporting that their lives are different now,"

UCDavis

Harvard Medical

Nature, a British weekly scientific journal founded and based in London, England.

University of Kansas Health System
"While the lives lost to COVID-19 are carefully and consistently counted, what's less understood is the number of people who survive the disease, yet are plagued for weeks or months with COVID-19's potentially devastating toll on the body."

One of the largest studies of Covid-19 "long haulers"
" "We're starting to see a little bit beneath that iceberg, and it's really alarming.

"The excess mortality translates into about 8 extra deaths per 1,000 patients -- worsening the pandemic's hidden toll amid growing recognition that many patients require readmission, and some die, weeks after the viral infection abates."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-long-haul-hospitals-pediatric-units-children/
"At least five hospitals in the U.S. have started pediatric long-haul clinics to help kids with lingering COVID-19 illness."

Lambykins

So, Sturgis happened.
And this happened...
https://www.thedailybeast.com/sturgis-rally-is-what-a-vaccine-era-coronavirus-superspreader-event-looks-like

We have a huge interest in motorcycles up where I live. A lot of it is because helmets aren't required here.
And a great many local motorcycle enthusiasts went to Sturgis and came back.
Everywhere in New Hampshire is showing higher levels now.

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Quote from: Lambykins on August 26, 2021, 07:45:02 AM
So, Sturgis happened.
And this happened...
https://www.thedailybeast.com/sturgis-rally-is-what-a-vaccine-era-coronavirus-superspreader-event-looks-like

We have a huge interest in motorcycles up where I live. A lot of it is because helmets aren't required here.
And a great many local motorcycle enthusiasts went to Sturgis and came back.
Everywhere in New Hampshire is showing higher levels now.
<shaking head muttering to myself>

And I love me some riding! Even used to own a Matchless 500 back in the day. Never used a helmet. (wayyyy back in the day) Always been a dream to ride the Sturgis event.

But seriously? Now? Come on.

flybynight

That is too cool. Ever, Can you get anymore cool?
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Quote from: flybynight on August 26, 2021, 07:28:24 PM
That is too cool. Ever, Can you get anymore cool?
😀 Clearly my life in the typed word is much cooler than the observing of it in RT. 😎 So, given that supposition, I bet I could type myself cooler. Nice. And speaking about Mt. Everest....

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

The research abstract

Pre-hospital antiplatelet therapy, most commonly aspirin, was associated with significantly lower in-hospital mortality rates for COVID-19 patients, according to a study this week in the Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis.

The researchers matched 6,781 COVID-19 US patients who received antiplatelet therapy before hospital admission with 10,566 who did not receive antiplatelet therapy from February to September 2020.

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

The Study: High-risk allergy patients have low reaction rates to Pfizer vaccine

From Dec 27, 2020, to Feb 22, 2021, 8,102 Israeli patients with allergies applied to the COVID-19 vaccine referral center at the Sheba Medical Center near Tel Aviv.

Of 429 patients considered to be high-risk for allergic reactions against the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, 98% had no allergic reaction, according to a JAMA Network Open

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Research on the impact of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) on healthcare-associated infections in 2020

Significant increases in the national SIRs for CLABSI, CAUTI, VAE, and MRSA bacteremia were observed in 2020. Changes in the SIR varied by quarter and state. The largest increase was observed for CLABSI, and significant increases in VAE incidence and ventilator utilization were seen across all 4 quarters of 2020.

The accompanying editorial
  "Nurses and doctors were trying to save the lives of surges of critically ill infectious patients while juggling shortages of respirators and, at times, shortages of gowns, gloves, and disinfectant wipes as well."

In addition, some hospital staff were asked to perform tasks they had not previously performed. All available resources were directed at minimizing the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission in the hospital. Sometimes these efforts went wrong.

"As the number of COVID-19 cases surge, hospitals are becoming overwhelmed with more patients than can be managed with typical care standards."

My personal addition:
Nurses, doctors, care staff working for weeks at a time with too little sleep, little to 'no' down time to even process what they were seeing. Sometimes with the crush of patients so strong and relentless they were having to choose who gets treated, for a disease they were learning about and how to treat on the fly. Working in traumatic conditions, losing count of those they couldn't save, for weeks on end. 

Wrong conditions for everything to go right.

RoneKiln

For over a year I've thought of trying to write a post on 4th generation warfare. For those not familiar with it, a short lazy definition is the weaponizing of the populace through media and language. Very recently I've heard some refer to it as 5th generation warfare, as I guess some scholar(s) decided to better differentiate some earlier styles of warfare and bump up the number by one.

Either way, the idea of weaponizing the civilian populace.

But I've not invested the effort in brushing up on it well enough to write a good post aimed towards prepping.

This occurs to me here because it's getting real hard for me to sift through data on treatments for covid amongst the media hysteria, and I think that may get worse with future pandemics. I'm seeing what seems to me crazy media conflict over possible treatments that is impacting the ability of researchers to explore possibilities and for doctors to prescribe them.

If anyone else is trying to make sense not just of the data, but some of the media and social conflict framing the data, looking up 4th/5th generation warfare might help you understand or articulate to others some of what we're seeing. I do not mean to imply an organized malevolent actor is driving this. I think a mix of human nature, search/social media algorithms, and media struggling for ratings can drive this without anyone intentionally steering.

I think we will continue seeing this problem with other pandemics and health related issues in the future. Being aware of social dynamics driving human behavior may be intrinsically tied to being able to understand the scientific data being made available. It may also help keep you from dismissing important data some might malign as being "from the other side."
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk