Author Topic: A zombie primer  (Read 586 times)

Offline Dabster

• I'm new and haven't changed yet.
  • Reactions:
A zombie primer
« on: June 29, 2021, 06:10:14 PM »
Wow. My first post on the new forum. Luckily, I think this is a good one...

My daughters are 11 and 13. After a lot of discussion, they are ready to dip their toes into the delightfully terrifying world of zombie movies. As my favorite movie (EVAR) is Shawn of the Dead (please don't judge) and they must see other zombie in order to fully appreciate the greatness of Shawn of the Dead -they're willingness to start watching zombie movies makes me very happy.

Of course, and this is the point of this thread, where should we start? I don't think 1965's Night of the Living Dead is a great place... Maybe something sort of cute?

Your informed assistance would be appreciated.

Offline Nyte

• I am the Nyte
  • Much like a panda
  • Reactions:
Re: A zombie primer
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 06:21:09 PM »
Zombieland might be a fun romp.  Santa Clarita Diet, while a series, is a great watch for something lighter, though it's not traditional zombies at all. 

Offline boskone

• Chief Tribble
  • Administrator
  • Reactions:
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 06:24:30 PM »
The...something...Bride?  The claymation one from...uh...damnit, the guy that did Beetlejuice, the Sweeney Todd movie, a couple of the weirder Batman movies, and the creepy Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I ended up not getting to sleep after 2am, my brain's fried.  Hopefully all that's enough for someone to remember the title of the movie.

Offline Lambykins

• Official Forum Goat Wrangler
  • Possums always survive.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 06:54:52 PM »
The...something...Bride?  The claymation one from...uh...damnit, the guy that did Beetlejuice, the Sweeney Todd movie, a couple of the weirder Batman movies, and the creepy Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I ended up not getting to sleep after 2am, my brain's fried.  Hopefully all that's enough for someone to remember the title of the movie.
The Corpse Bride
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

Offline 12_Gauge_Chimp

• Official Forum Trunk Monkey
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Member
  • Who left my cage open ?
  • Reactions:
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 04:23:52 PM »
Zombieland might be a good choice for introducing a newbie to the wonderful world of zombie movies.

I haven't really watched a whole lot of zombie movies in the last seven years, so I'm not sure if there's any others that'd be good for introducing younger folks to zombies.

Offline RoneKiln

• Perpetual Newbie
  • Paid Member
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Reactions:
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 10:08:58 PM »
The South Korean film #Alive. Good strong female lead character, not a lot of gore compared to many zombie movies, and opens a lot of very legit discussions on the value of prepping. Also addresses current issues related to internet and social media.

There's an American remake of it as well, but I've not seen it yet. I've only seen the Korean one.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Offline RoneKiln

• Perpetual Newbie
  • Paid Member
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Reactions:
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 10:10:36 PM »
I probably deserve to take a few punches for this, but I also enjoyed Warm Bodies. It would be pretty good for new young watchers.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Offline MacWa77ace

• Keeper of the Gas Ring and
  • Global Moderator
  • Putrescence and Liquification. SE Florida
  • Reactions:
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 08:00:53 AM »
Depends on how much blood and gore you want them to start out with. The older movies might be safer in that regard. But I'd definitely start with real Zombie Movies before going to comedies or love stories.

There's an evolution of the legacy of how people become Zombies in film. 1965 version locks in some sort of virus reanimating the recently dead. And not so much transmission thru bites, but bites being fatal because of the severity and causing death. They the recently bitten and died, reanimated.

I kind of was able to watch the evolution and off shoots in order so could keep track of the different kinds of Zombies and know they are different, so I didn't get confused like I can image someone new to the genre might as far as, which virus, what incubation, results in what type of Zombie and how you kill, distract, escape and evade.

I think to start it'd be best to stay in a franchise, Romero for instance. Finish that, and then go to the next franchise.

BTW there are 30's, 40's, and 50's Zombie movies also, but they are the ones created by voodoo, not a space or man made virus, and don't 'infect' others with bites, they may just kill because they are controlled by a Zombie Master. White Zombie and King of the Zombies for instance.

And then there are the mutants, they didn't really die, but mutated from a virus. Generally ragers and fast movers. Like in 'I'm am Legend' and 'Omega Man', and 'last man on earth'. Omega man might be a good start but nudity and sex in the unedited version. Night of the Comet is pretty goreless IIRC.
Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Offline Crosscut

• Paid Member
  • Trust, but verify
  • Reactions:
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 08:54:01 AM »
Night of the Comet is pretty goreless IIRC.

Good choice, and with two teenage female leads.   Not like NotLD had a good woman role model, except in the remake which isn't a bad movie either. 

Don't forget the ambiance, after dark with all the lights off and the curtains closed maybe.  I've thought about getting a projector to show horror/zombie movies outside when kids visit at our very rural home, midnight movie style with a little campfire going.   Slightly OT but we've made it a custom to do a midnight walk in the woods, no flashlights and when there's just enough moonlight to not trip walking down the trail is best, city and suburban kids really seem to like it for the spooky-scary effect.

Offline Dabster

• I'm new and haven't changed yet.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 12:46:28 PM »
Thanks for the great input. They accidentally watched part of a vampire movie and lost interest in anything potentially scary. I will update as progress continues.

Offline 12_Gauge_Chimp

• Official Forum Trunk Monkey
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Member
  • Who left my cage open ?
  • Reactions:
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 09:17:12 PM »
Does "Plan 9 from Outer Space" technically count as a zombie movie ?

I mean, the alien goal is to raise the dead in order to terrorize mankind into giving up using nuclear weapons, so I'd figure that sort of counts.

It's also not really all that scary and it's one of those really cheesy 1950s scifi movies that's easy to make fun of.

Offline yonderstone

• This better not awaken anything in me.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 02:08:00 AM »
Return of the Living Dead has the best 80's punk rock vibe for zombies IMHO. 28 Days later also brings in some scary ones. I'm a sucker for the classics, especially the OG Romero trilogy.

Offline Oregonian

• Reactions:
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 07:54:08 AM »
Fido or Shaun of the Dead

Offline Lodewijk

• I'm new and haven't changed this yet.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 07:03:02 PM »
Savini's NOTLD remake is where I'd start. Tame gore, female lead that aged better than the '60s version, still has weird zombie vibes.

Warm Bodies also a good rec.

Offline Millzy

• Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!
  • Reactions:
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2021, 05:08:57 AM »
World War Z. I freaking love that movie. All the Resident Evil movies. It's cool to have a marathon and watch them all in order.
The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one!

Offline Brekar

• Shambled my way over from the O.G. Zombie Squad...
  • Reactions:
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2021, 11:53:20 PM »
The  2004 Dawn of the Dead remake is great. It might be a bit gory heavy depending on your kids, but  my kids thought it was great. The Resident Evil series is a good one to. My kids all liked them. My kids are 7,9,11,12 by the way...

Offline Oregonian

• Reactions:
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2021, 11:17:17 PM »
Fido

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk