Site Q&A

Started by NT2C, June 10, 2021, 09:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfapint

Quote from: NT2C on June 24, 2021, 07:29:52 PM
My server currently has 20GB of storage on it.  I'm using 5GB for my mail server and a few other things, and reserving 5GB for the data this place needs, which leaves 10GB I can allow for uploads.  I can bump that 20GB to 40GB for about $65 over my normal server bill, but to go beyond that I'd need to change our hosting package.  That's not difficult to do and I doubt anyone would even notice the change since we have a dedicated IP and it would be done during the wee hours, but it would significantly bump our costs. Our goal is to gradually build this place up to the point where it becomes self-sufficient (through advertising/affiliation links/paid subscriptions) and put storage concerns behind us.

Good to know. But honestly I tried uploading on my homestead page and my internet is so slow that it doesn't let me.

So to save costs for now, I'll just use 3rd party hosting later on when this becomes more self sufficient I'll look at changing.
The original Half gettin sum land thread
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=111413

Quote from: SpazzyTell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

NapalmMan67

Tst...

eta:  Well this one worked.  Maybe I fat fingered it trying the other times.  Will see if I can get others to post later.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

MPMalloy

NT:  Are you the owner of ufozs.com?

NT2C

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

flybynight

"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

NT2C

Quote from: flybynight on June 27, 2021, 12:12:32 PM
Quote from: NT2C on June 27, 2021, 10:16:25 AM
Quote from: MPMalloy on June 27, 2021, 09:55:48 AM
Yes, I am.

He wields the enchanted bane hammer "BANNISH FOE
And the Imperial Ball Gag "Stifle Thyself"

Current Weather in My AO

EBuff75

Quote from: flybynight on June 27, 2021, 12:12:32 PM
Quote from: NT2C on June 27, 2021, 10:16:25 AM
Quote from: MPMalloy on June 27, 2021, 09:55:48 AM
Yes, I am.

He wields the enchanted bane hammer "BANNISH FOE
Not to be confused with the "band hammer" which is historically what the jocks do to kids who play the clarinet.
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

NapalmMan67

Quote from: NT2C on June 24, 2021, 05:03:52 PM
Quote from: NapalmMan67 on June 24, 2021, 03:44:14 PM
Trying to finger out how to post a picture(s).  I know there's the "Insert Image" button option when you're posting...  But how do you get the picture in there?

I'm a veg Danny.  Did I ever mention technology and I don't get along well?

Also have this weird feeling like somebody's watching me...  but only 5% of the time.    :smiley_funnyface:

If that feeling doesn't go away in a week, let me know. 

Looks to have resolved itself.  I feel like such a burden has been lifted!     :shades:

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

CG

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on June 30, 2021, 10:27:43 AM
Quote from: NT2C on June 24, 2021, 05:03:52 PM
Quote from: NapalmMan67 on June 24, 2021, 03:44:14 PM
Trying to finger out how to post a picture(s).  I know there's the "Insert Image" button option when you're posting...  But how do you get the picture in there?

I'm a veg Danny.  Did I ever mention technology and I don't get along well?

Also have this weird feeling like somebody's watching me...  but only 5% of the time.    :smiley_funnyface:

If that feeling doesn't go away in a week, let me know. 

Looks to have resolved itself.  I feel like such a burden has been lifted!     :shades:

Oh good, he hasn't noticed.

:smiley_bagonhead:

RonnyRonin

Are the classifieds for trading/giveaways only? I assume there is a bigger spam burdan if it is open for paid commerce?
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

NT2C

Quote from: RonnyRonin on July 05, 2021, 10:54:33 AM
Are the classifieds for trading/giveaways only? I assume there is a bigger spam burdan if it is open for paid commerce?
We do allow approved Vendors to "commit commerce" on the site, and all regular members are allowed to do reasonable selling on the site (ie: listing your truck for sale is cool, running a used car business as just a regular member isn't)

Current Weather in My AO

Asparagus

Testing, testing... I've been trying to reply to a different thread, but keep getting rejected. First the forum doesn't like my vpn, annoying, but understandable. Then I get error messanges saying the reply looks like spam, and/or to turn on JavaScript (which has never been off). Seems my post is tiggering a spam filter, and that blocks me for trying again for half an hour. Post was a couple of lines of text, and a picture and link to a news article. Tried both Firefox and Chrome, same thing. Am I missing something?

NT2C

Quote from: Asparagus on July 10, 2021, 03:03:14 PM
Testing, testing... I've been trying to reply to a different thread, but keep getting rejected. First the forum doesn't like my vpn, annoying, but understandable. Then I get error messanges saying the reply looks like spam, and/or to turn on JavaScript (which has never been off). Seems my post is tiggering a spam filter, and that blocks me for trying again for half an hour. Post was a couple of lines of text, and a picture and link to a news article. Tried both Firefox and Chrome, same thing. Am I missing something?

Yes, there's a spam filter that is placed on new accounts.  Once you have passed out of "Newbie" status it will get automatically removed. 

(BTW, posting a link and an image in your post is what's triggering it.)

Current Weather in My AO

Asparagus

Is there a list of the "levels" anywhere?

I guessed it was the picture and link, but that comment is pointless without them  :-\

NT2C

Quote from: Asparagus on July 10, 2021, 03:22:25 PM
Is there a list of the "levels" anywhere?

I guessed it was the picture and link, but that comment is pointless without them  :-\
There is, but we prefer to keep the exact post count needed to change levels a secret.  It's a spam-prevention measure and we do not want to encourage people to attempt to bypass it with "junk" posts.

Current Weather in My AO

Asparagus

Understandable. Thanks.

Moab

How do I switch between mobile and desktop view? And where are my settings? I appear to be stuck in mobile mode. And can't find settings.

I can see the desktop view button. But it does nothing.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C

Quote from: Moab on August 04, 2021, 06:12:31 PM
How do I switch between mobile and desktop view? And where are my settings? I appear to be stuck in mobile mode. And can't find settings.

I can see the desktop view button. But it does nothing.
You can get "trapped" in mobile mode if you use both a phone and a desktop.  In such a case just PM any staff member and they can change it for you.  I just changed you back to the forum default theme.  The control is in your profile settings under "Look and Layout"

Current Weather in My AO

Mr. E. Monkey

Is there a way that we can view our posts to see which ones have been downvoted/smitten?  I can understand not wanting posters to see who gave them negative karma, but it would be nice if I could see what I said that got negative feedback--sort of a self-check, to keep the mod team from having to say "hey, don't say/do that."

As it is, I have been in my profile, clicking on each post to see where I went wrong, so far unsuccessfully.  I'm sure it's probably not a big deal, and I should just not worry about it and go on with my life, but I want to make sure I'm not unintentionally being a dick to anybody on here.
Quote from: SMoAF'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: BeowolfDisasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bushTHE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

NT2C

Quote from: Mr. E. Monkey on August 05, 2021, 09:08:26 AM
Is there a way that we can view our posts to see which ones have been downvoted/smitten?  I can understand not wanting posters to see who gave them negative karma, but it would be nice if I could see what I said that got negative feedback--sort of a self-check, to keep the mod team from having to say "hey, don't say/do that."

As it is, I have been in my profile, clicking on each post to see where I went wrong, so far unsuccessfully.  I'm sure it's probably not a big deal, and I should just not worry about it and go on with my life, but I want to make sure I'm not unintentionally being a dick to anybody on here.
There's a difference between karma and reactions.  Reactions are just a general thumbs up/down per post and should be viewed more as a judgment of the content of the post than the person.  For example, if I posted an article about prepping being outlawed I'd expect that post to be heavily downvoted and my reactions bar to show some red in it.  Karma is a thumbs up/down for the member.  It could be given for a post, an attitude, an avatar, sig line, whatever.  Admins (and maybe global mods too) can change karma amounts in your profile.

ETA: Neither is really anything serious.  The reactions were added because we wanted a way to vote on posts.

Current Weather in My AO

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk