Airguns chat! Started as PCP airguns, now all welcome!

Started by Halfapint, June 08, 2021, 05:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

12_Gauge_Chimp

If I remember correctly, that particular air rifle has a smooth bore and not a rifled one.

Accuracy varies a bit depending on pellet type, weight and things like that. They're also moreso set up for round BBs instead of pellets. At least the ones I've owned in the past have been.


EBuff75

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on November 01, 2023, 04:08:24 PMIf I remember correctly, that particular air rifle has a smooth bore and not a rifled one.

Accuracy varies a bit depending on pellet type, weight and things like that. They're also moreso set up for round BBs instead of pellets. At least the ones I've owned in the past have been.
I wasn't familiar with the Crosman 66, so I did some digging, but it's hard to get much info, as it's been discontinued for around 20 years.  It's essentially a gussied up Crosman 760 (they even share the same owners manual), with a different stock and a slightly higher FPS rating (which might be related to the length of stroke on the pump, given the longer forend).

I did find one forum claiming that it's rifled, but I couldn't find anything official saying that it is.  For the 760 Pumpmaster, it depends on the age.  I have one that's NIB and it's a smooth bore.  But I pulled out a 1980s vintage model and it's rifled.  Since the 66 appears to be an upgraded model of the 760, I would guess that the forum poster might be correct.

As to why it's shooting low, not sure.  It could be that it's not building enough pressure (when my 760 that I had as a kid was wearing out, I had to pump it more and more times to get a good shot out of it).  It could also be that the sights are just off (unless this is something new for that specific gun).  It could also be ammo-related.  Airguns can be just as, if not more picky than .22LR guns are about which ammo they like.  Maybe try it again with a lighter pellet, or even a BB and see how that affects the point of impact.

Interestingly, in that same chat thread, someone had this comment:
QuoteI had a PM66 that I used for pesting. After pumping I always gave the foregrip a good twist ccw and accuracy improved dramatically. This puts the barrel/receiver closer to the same position every time. Used a laser boresighter to match the cheap scope to this position.

With those plastic-bodied guns, it wouldn't surprise me at all if something as simple as flexing the gun could alter the point of impact!
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

majorhavoc

A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: EBuff75 on November 01, 2023, 06:04:35 PM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on November 01, 2023, 04:08:24 PMIf I remember correctly, that particular air rifle has a smooth bore and not a rifled one.

Accuracy varies a bit depending on pellet type, weight and things like that. They're also moreso set up for round BBs instead of pellets. At least the ones I've owned in the past have been.
I wasn't familiar with the Crosman 66, so I did some digging, but it's hard to get much info, as it's been discontinued for around 20 years.  It's essentially a gussied up Crosman 760 (they even share the same owners manual), with a different stock and a slightly higher FPS rating (which might be related to the length of stroke on the pump, given the longer forend).

I did find one forum claiming that it's rifled, but I couldn't find anything official saying that it is.  For the 760 Pumpmaster, it depends on the age.  I have one that's NIB and it's a smooth bore.  But I pulled out a 1980s vintage model and it's rifled.  Since the 66 appears to be an upgraded model of the 760, I would guess that the forum poster might be correct.

As to why it's shooting low, not sure.  It could be that it's not building enough pressure (when my 760 that I had as a kid was wearing out, I had to pump it more and more times to get a good shot out of it).  It could also be that the sights are just off (unless this is something new for that specific gun).  It could also be ammo-related.  Airguns can be just as, if not more picky than .22LR guns are about which ammo they like.  Maybe try it again with a lighter pellet, or even a BB and see how that affects the point of impact.

Interestingly, in that same chat thread, someone had this comment:
QuoteI had a PM66 that I used for pesting. After pumping I always gave the foregrip a good twist ccw and accuracy improved dramatically. This puts the barrel/receiver closer to the same position every time. Used a laser boresighter to match the cheap scope to this position.

With those plastic-bodied guns, it wouldn't surprise me at all if something as simple as flexing the gun could alter the point of impact!


I didn't even think about the gun flexing throwing off accuracy.

MacWa77ace

Remember, after I raised the rear sight to notch 3, accuracy at 20 ft was fine. I'm questioning a 3.5" drop at 20 feet. Seems to much. I suspect a pressure issue. I don't have a chronograph to calc balistics to find out if that is normal. But why would the rear sight have notches for 10 and 15 feet then? Maybe it does though.

My Powermaster 66 is rifled and has one of those pellet loaders. This air gun is optimized for pellets. And will fire BBs as an alternate.

I owned a vintage 760 and put thooousands of rounds thru it. It was accurate and at 7 to 10 pumps per shot that's a lot of use, and accuracy never changed. That air gun was smooth bore and optimized for BBs. And would fire pellets and darts as an alternate. With all that use and no bending of the frame I'm doubtful it's Flex or bent.

It's not harmonics as it's a VPP, if that's the type of flex you mention. But I understood 'flex' to be the barrel/receiver to be changing relationship due to the pumping action. But the iron site sit on the barrel so that issue would affect scoped guns only IMO. Scopes sit on the receiver.

I don't use this gun much, and bought it used at a garage sale do $10 and it wouldn't hold a charge, but I fixed it in 5 minutes.

Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming, good ideas.
Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Ask me about my Fully Semi-Automatic 30-Mag clip death gun that's as heavy as 10 boxes.


EBuff75

Quote from: MacWa77ace on November 01, 2023, 07:40:01 PMRemember, after I raised the rear sight to notch 3, accuracy at 20 ft was fine. I'm questioning a 3.5" drop at 20 feet. Seems to much. I suspect a pressure issue. I don't have a chronograph to calc balistics to find out if that is normal. But why would the rear sight have notches for 10 and 15 feet then? Maybe it does though.

My Powermaster 66 is rifled and has one of those pellet loaders. This air gun is optimized for pellets. And will fire BBs as an alternate.

I owned a vintage 760 and put thooousands of rounds thru it. It was accurate and at 7 to 10 pumps per shot that's a lot of use, and accuracy never changed. That air gun was smooth bore and optimized for BBs. And would fire pellets and darts as an alternate. With all that use and no bending of the frame I'm doubtful it's Flex or bent.

It's not harmonics as it's a VPP, if that's the type of flex you mention. But I understood 'flex' to be the barrel/receiver to be changing relationship due to the pumping action. But the iron site sit on the barrel so that issue would affect scoped guns only IMO. Scopes sit on the receiver.

I don't use this gun much, and bought it used at a garage sale do $10 and it wouldn't hold a charge, but I fixed it in 5 minutes.

Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming, good ideas.
I used the shit out of my old 760 and I'd probably still have it if I hadn't used WD-40 to lubricate it back when I was a kid!  It ate the seals out of it and back then there wasn't any good way to get parts to fix it.  So I just junked it and bought something else (a Daisy 814 Sporter, which is actually fairly rare, and which I still have!).  

The ones that I have now are replacements that I bought out of nostalgia.  I've got 3 of them, ranging in age from the 1980s up to just a few years ago.  However, if I were using an airgun to shoot some type of varmint, I'd probably step up to one of my scoped break-barrel guns, just for the added power / accuracy.  Or maybe my Crosman 2100B, which is sort of the "grown up" version of the 760. 

One of the things that I miss (since I live in the city) is being able to go out in the back yard and do some plinking with an airgun!
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

MacWa77ace

Quote from: EBuff75 on November 01, 2023, 08:46:51 PMI used the shit out of my old 760 and I'd probably still have it if I hadn't used WD-40 to lubricate it back when I was a kid!  It ate the seals out of it and back then there wasn't any good way to get parts to fix it.  So I just junked it and bought something else (a Daisy 814 Sporter, which is actually fairly rare, and which I still have!). 

I used 3 in 1 on my Dad's, now my, Daisy model 25, but it has a 'rubber' seal [might be rubber and leather IIRC, IDK it's older than I am] so it didn't damage it. Now the seal is worn down though. And I used 3 in 1 on my Daisy Model 105 too [my first BB gun ] but I sold that at a garage sale when I was a kid.

But as I'm sure you know now, only use Silicone oil on air guns.





Quote from: EBuff75 on November 01, 2023, 08:46:51 PMThe ones that I have now are replacements that I bought out of nostalgia.  I've got 3 of them, ranging in age from the 1980s up to just a few years ago.  However, if I were using an airgun to shoot some type of varmint, I'd probably step up to one of my scoped break-barrel guns, just for the added power / accuracy.  Or maybe my Crosman 2100B, which is sort of the "grown up" version of the 760.

Yeah, I grabbed the Powermaster because its more than enough power for a rat, and it had iron sites. If you site your scoped gun in at 50 or 75 ft, shooting something at 10-20 feet means you have to do a hold under because of the site over bore measurement and shorter distance. So I thought I was making the best choice. Didn't work out that way. Yet.

For Instance:
My Benji 392 has a ridiculous site over bore. And is zero'd at 75 ft. It's a 22 cal VPP but I don't/didn't know the hold under for 20 feet on a cold bore on this one either. That's why I didn't grab it or my scoped break barrel.


Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Ask me about my Fully Semi-Automatic 30-Mag clip death gun that's as heavy as 10 boxes.


MacWa77ace

Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Ask me about my Fully Semi-Automatic 30-Mag clip death gun that's as heavy as 10 boxes.


NT2C

This .22 Gamo Swarm Magnum 10x Gen3i rifle that I picked up is a mouthful to say (and hard to type), and my arthritic shoulders are complaining bitterly at my folly in thinking I'd have no trouble cocking it but I'm looking forward to getting it out in the yard this week and sighting it in on the bullet trap I picked up.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

MacWa77ace

Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Ask me about my Fully Semi-Automatic 30-Mag clip death gun that's as heavy as 10 boxes.


NT2C

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

NT2C

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

MacWa77ace

Quote from: NT2C on May 26, 2024, 09:05:20 AM
Quote from: MacWa77ace on May 26, 2024, 07:44:15 AMNow designated: GSM 10X 22 G3i





FTFYA

(forgot to add the 10X)


Purposefully left off the optic cause changeable. And I can't find a G3 that is not inertia fed so left that 'i' off too. [assumed 'i' for inertia] KISS  :smiley_shrug:
Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Ask me about my Fully Semi-Automatic 30-Mag clip death gun that's as heavy as 10 boxes.


NT2C

Quote from: MacWa77ace on May 26, 2024, 09:52:47 AM
Quote from: NT2C on May 26, 2024, 09:05:20 AM
Quote from: MacWa77ace on May 26, 2024, 07:44:15 AMNow designated: GSM 10X 22 G3i





FTFYA

(forgot to add the 10X)


Purposefully left off the optic cause changeable. And I can't find a G3 that is not inertia fed so left that 'i' off too. [assumed 'i' for inertia] KISS  :smiley_shrug:
Gen 2 was also inertia fed but didn't have the "i". I think it's for "improved". Not sure what the 10X is since I think the optic only goes to 9.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

12_Gauge_Chimp

At some point I'd like to get a .22 caliber air rifle, but I also keep thinking I have nowhere to utilize it since I live in town.

Plus I don't want the local PD to show up and fine me for shooting an air rifle in my backyard. :gonk:

MacWa77ace

Quote from: NT2C on May 26, 2024, 01:10:44 PM
Quote from: MacWa77ace on May 26, 2024, 09:52:47 AM
Quote from: NT2C on May 26, 2024, 09:05:20 AM
Quote from: MacWa77ace on May 26, 2024, 07:44:15 AMNow designated: GSM 10X 22 G3i





FTFYA

(forgot to add the 10X)


Purposefully left off the optic cause changeable. And I can't find a G3 that is not inertia fed so left that 'i' off too. [assumed 'i' for inertia] KISS  :smiley_shrug:
Gen 2 was also inertia fed but didn't have the "i". I think it's for "improved". Not sure what the 10X is since I think the optic only goes to 9.

Doesn't Gen 3 mean improved? Is it an 8 or 10 pump max?
Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Ask me about my Fully Semi-Automatic 30-Mag clip death gun that's as heavy as 10 boxes.


NT2C

Quote from: MacWa77ace on May 26, 2024, 03:44:21 PM
Quote from: NT2C on May 26, 2024, 01:10:44 PM
Quote from: MacWa77ace on May 26, 2024, 09:52:47 AM
Quote from: NT2C on May 26, 2024, 09:05:20 AM
Quote from: MacWa77ace on May 26, 2024, 07:44:15 AMNow designated: GSM 10X 22 G3i





FTFYA

(forgot to add the 10X)


Purposefully left off the optic cause changeable. And I can't find a G3 that is not inertia fed so left that 'i' off too. [assumed 'i' for inertia] KISS  :smiley_shrug:
Gen 2 was also inertia fed but didn't have the "i". I think it's for "improved". Not sure what the 10X is since I think the optic only goes to 9.

Doesn't Gen 3 mean improved? Is it an 8 or 10 pump max?
It's a break barrel.  Single pump stroke.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk