Main Menu

Recent posts

Sheltering in the Field / Re: Mountain Hardwear Bridger ...
Last post by Moab - Today at 12:49:13 AM
Quote from: echo83 on Yesterday at 09:12:39 PM
Quote from: Moab on June 10, 2024, 10:44:12 PMDude. Were they infants?! I can barely fit two people in a two man tent. Lol.

Sounds like a research project. You might try www.outdoorgearlabs.com as a starting point. They give gear to world class, hikers, backpackers and trekkers. They use it for months. And review it as a group. No bullshit. No paid reviews. And they review an entire group of products against each other. And then post a rating chart. With specs, prices and opinions. Then each item gets its own long form review. They have categories for just about any piece of outdoor gear there is.

If your looking for a deal try looking at last years model on gearx. They sell "new old stock" gear from previous years. Major deals. Or run a search by "(the model tent you want) vs (blank)". Like "Coleman Syndrome 4 person vs". That "vs" in your search will bring up any comparison reviews that have been done on it.

If its a good tent it will have been compared in a review to another tent. You might like just as well. Similar gear tends to get reviewed against each other. Or just look at the previous model if there is one. Sometimes there are only small changes you can live with.
Hahaha yeah, they were 8 and 6 at the time, and it was backyard camping. Honestly, for them the biggest draw is having a fire outside, staying up late, and using their mess kits to eat "camping food." Sleep is totally secondary.

During the summers of my youth, I slept in everything from a shelter half, to a leaky canvas pup tent, to a decent Kelty. I know what it's like to be comfortable in a tent, and to be a one-man blood bank for the mosquitoes, so it's really important to me that I start them off on the right foot. If they're miserable, they're never going to get into it.

Thanks for the site recommendations; I'll take a look at it!
My friends and I, even my whole family, slept out in the yard in Eastern WA in the summer time. Often. It gets hot in the summer time there. I remember watching the satellites. There were so few you had to wait for them to go around again. To see them cross the sky again. Wow. I feel old . Lol

Current Events of Note / Re: A tiny glimpse of my local...
Last post by TACAIR - Yesterday at 11:30:14 PM
Quote from: Raptor on Yesterday at 10:15:09 AM
Quote from: Moab on June 10, 2024, 04:50:40 PMYes. All different calibers. If they were all 9mm it wouldn't be a problem. And none were 9mm. My newly registered pistol is 9mm.

It sounds to me like a caliber consolidation is in order to 9mm.

You may want to consider selling off the non-9mm firearms and using those funds to inventory more 9mm. That is unless you have plans to relocate. A 9mm with ammo trumps any firearm without ammo.

Quote from: TACAIR on June 10, 2024, 07:33:43 PMhttps://x.com/i/status/1799505622125137969

Why we can't have nice things...in Memphis.
Not just in Memphis:

NOLA
https://www.fox8live.com/2021/01/28/surveillance-video-captures-afternoon-shootout-st-roch/

Philadelphia
https://6abc.com/philadelphia-shooting-north-broad-street-shootout-the-met/14497952/

Chicago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjvEIHFPcA0&ab_channel=ABC7Chicago

...and so on.

Stay frosty and keep your head on a swivel.

What caught my attention was the automatic weapons fire.  Might 'just' be an auto-Glock, but it did not sound like the std spray and pray.  Most of the rounds looked to be both low and grouped.  

Last post by echo83 - Yesterday at 09:12:39 PM
Quote from: Moab on June 10, 2024, 10:44:12 PMDude. Were they infants?! I can barely fit two people in a two man tent. Lol.

Sounds like a research project. You might try www.outdoorgearlabs.com as a starting point. They give gear to world class, hikers, backpackers and trekkers. They use it for months. And review it as a group. No bullshit. No paid reviews. And they review an entire group of products against each other. And then post a rating chart. With specs, prices and opinions. Then each item gets its own long form review. They have categories for just about any piece of outdoor gear there is.

If your looking for a deal try looking at last years model on gearx. They sell "new old stock" gear from previous years. Major deals. Or run a search by "(the model tent you want) vs (blank)". Like "Coleman Syndrome 4 person vs". That "vs" in your search will bring up any comparison reviews that have been done on it.

If its a good tent it will have been compared in a review to another tent. You might like just as well. Similar gear tends to get reviewed against each other. Or just look at the previous model if there is one. Sometimes there are only small changes you can live with.
Hahaha yeah, they were 8 and 6 at the time, and it was backyard camping. Honestly, for them the biggest draw is having a fire outside, staying up late, and using their mess kits to eat "camping food." Sleep is totally secondary.

During the summers of my youth, I slept in everything from a shelter half, to a leaky canvas pup tent, to a decent Kelty. I know what it's like to be comfortable in a tent, and to be a one-man blood bank for the mosquitoes, so it's really important to me that I start them off on the right foot. If they're miserable, they're never going to get into it. 

Thanks for the site recommendations; I'll take a look at it!
Last post by Moab - Yesterday at 03:13:26 PM
Quote from: Anianna on Yesterday at 03:04:04 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/Dashcam/comments/1dd5pms/viofo_a119_v3_oakland_is_currently_a_disaster/

Some quotes from the comments:

QuoteThat area is East Oakland which is notorious for allowing people to drive like this. I've seen cops waiting on a red light allow cars next to them run the red light and not do anything about it. It's like they don't care as long as you don't crash or hurt a pedestrian.

QuoteI believe Oakland is one of the places where the populace has basically told the PD not to do traffic enforcement anymore, so they've effectively stopped. This is the consequence.

LA isn't that bad. That's crazy. But unless your killing someone no one gives a shit about LA traffic laws. The freeways are like a car race. Except no one is a professional driver. People get run over in surface streets on a daily basis.

In an a true major event these streets would quickly turn into a parking lot of chaos.
Last post by Anianna - Yesterday at 03:04:04 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dashcam/comments/1dd5pms/viofo_a119_v3_oakland_is_currently_a_disaster/

Some quotes from the comments:

QuoteThat area is East Oakland which is notorious for allowing people to drive like this. I've seen cops waiting on a red light allow cars next to them run the red light and not do anything about it. It's like they don't care as long as you don't crash or hurt a pedestrian.

QuoteI believe Oakland is one of the places where the populace has basically told the PD not to do traffic enforcement anymore, so they've effectively stopped. This is the consequence.
Last post by Moab - Yesterday at 02:27:33 PM
Quote from: Raptor on Yesterday at 10:15:09 AM
Quote from: Moab on June 10, 2024, 04:50:40 PMYes. All different calibers. If they were all 9mm it wouldn't be a problem. And none were 9mm. My newly registered pistol is 9mm.

You may want to consider selling off the non-9mm firearms and using those funds to inventory more 9mm. That is unless you have plans to relocate. A 9mm with ammo trumps any firearm without ammo.
I didn't buy them that way. They were all inherited. No plans to sell any of them.

The 9mm I just bought is the one I will stock up for. The .22lr Beretta I will always have ammo for. And the Glock is .357sig. But it's gen 2. They only made 2000 of them. My grandfather gave it to me. So not only do I not shoot it. I doubt I will ever sell it. 

The plan is a G19. But not until I move. As the only one approved to buy in CA is the G19 gen 3. 

When I move I will get a Glock 19. And carry that and the Hellcat. 
Last post by Raptor - Yesterday at 10:15:09 AM

Quote from: TACAIR on June 10, 2024, 07:33:43 PMhttps://x.com/i/status/1799505622125137969

Not just in Memphis:

NOLA
https://www.fox8live.com/2021/01/28/surveillance-video-captures-afternoon-shootout-st-roch/

Philadelphia
https://6abc.com/philadelphia-shooting-north-broad-street-shootout-the-met/14497952/

Chicago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjvEIHFPcA0&ab_channel=ABC7Chicago

...and so on.

Stay frosty and keep your head on a swivel.
Last post by Moab - June 10, 2024, 11:04:16 PM

You know guns aim themselves. Right?! Lol. It amazes me that guns have been used in high crime areas for hundreds of years. Yet they rarely get aimed. Lol.
Transportation / Re: What did you do today for ...
Last post by Halfapint - June 10, 2024, 11:01:51 PM
The daily driver is a 1996 Accord. It's most likely going to be the vehicle that I'm in if I have to get home and one if the vehicles I'll be taking to bug out because of the simplicity. It's for 160k on it has been a great reliable transport for the last 2 1/2 years.

Anyways, I redid the brakes on it about a year and I've had issues ever since. I finally broke down a bought Orileys rotors for 3x the price of the online slotted and drilled I bought, but they apparently warped. And I've had a slight vibration that's gotten worse and worse. Well, replaced the rotors and it's amazing it doesn't shake anymore. But when doing the brakes I noticed a lot if the bushings, ball joint boots, and the power steering rack boot are torn. Further inspection some parts were bent on the suspension. So I bought and entire replacement kit. New controls arms, new shocks/struts, all new bushings, ball joints, etc.

Got one side done and started on the other side today when grandma dropped the kiddo off and then it was playtime. So back at it tomorrow.

Adter those get replaced I'll bring down to the tire shop and have it lined and new rubbers put on her. Hopefully that'll take care if the rest of the vibration issues I've got.

Really do love these 90's Hondas parts are so cheap the entire replacement was $450 from an online retailer I've trusted in the only aftermarket brand I trust on Hondas (TRQ). The rotors I took a chance on and went another direction and apparently that was a mistake so only TRQ from here on out.
Last post by Moab - June 10, 2024, 10:55:16 PM
Quote from: majorhavoc on June 10, 2024, 08:21:55 PM
Quote from: echo83 on June 09, 2024, 07:36:28 AMThis is a great review! Thanks for taking the time to post photos and impressions. I'm in the initial stages of car camping tent research, and this is really helpful.
Glad you found it useful! Just so you know, I don't post these overly wordy, copiously illustrated product overviews because I necessarily think someone here on UFOZS.com is specifically interested in a Moutain Hardwear Bridger 4 tent.  I mean if someone is, that's great.  But I figure somewhere, someone might be.  I'm mostly trying to add content to our humble site.  If someone is interested in this specific product and a Google search brings them to UFOZS.com, I'm hopeful they'll find our content to be quality, decide we're a community of people who seem to know what they're talking about, and decide to stick around.

FYI: The MH Bridger 4 did get an unexpected workout.  The Saturday afternoon that I set it up to take those pictures, it started sprinkling.  I didn't want to pack it away while wet, so I decided to leave it up overnight and planned on taking it down when it dried out on Sunday morning. 

Well sometime Saturday night/early Sunday it started raining.  And it kept on raining.  A long soaking rain that lasted until about 2:00pm on Sunday afternoon. I kept checking on the tent periodically and am happy to report that the interior remained bone dry.  As in 100%, absolutely no leakage whatsoever after at least 12 hours of steady precipitation.  My first opportunity to take it down was this evening (Monday) and there was no dampness whatsoever.

That's what I was referring to above about the security a truly weatherproof tent gives you.  When all is said an done, the features, conveniences and usability of a shelter all take a back seat to the one thing you expect a tent to do: keep you safe, secure and above all, dry.  I'm still planning on doing an update after I spend an actual weekend living in the Bridger 4.  But for now I can at least say it's completely weatherproof in sustained adverse conditions.
That's why I only buy tents with a complete rain fly. None of this vents at the top stuff. For air flow. Or windows. Just one solid fly all the way to the ground. That can be zipped closed. 

There is nothing worse than spending a night in a tent that leaks or let's water in. In boot camp I slept in a shelter half canvas tent with a wool blanket. And it rained hard. The instructions were to build a mote around your bed in the dirt with your etool. So the rain would drain around your sleeping position. We were lying in mud in about an hour. MISERABLE.

I then spent a night in a cheap igloo tent up in the PNW mountains. It leaked so bad I found my friend at about 2am stabbing the bottom of the tent with his knife. Just to try to get the two inches of water to drain from the bottom of the tent. Our sleeping bags were completely soaked. We were completely soaked. We squatted in the bottom of the tent for like an hour. And then just got up, put our rain gear on. And stood outside until sun up. 
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk