Haven't been around here before.

Started by Patient_Zer0, May 04, 2024, 05:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patient_Zer0

Hey everybody. I went looking to see what was new on the ZS forums after about 6 years away and Holy shit. It's gone. Found you guys through Wikipedia of all places. Good to see some survivors on here. 

What happened to SMoAF? I remember
Him from the old days

Beowolf

Welcome. Glad you found us.

@NT2C can fill in any questions about SMoAF.

Rednex

flybynight

Quote from: Patient_Zer0 on May 04, 2024, 05:54:55 PMHey everybody. I went looking to see what was new on the ZS forums after about 6 years away and Holy shit. It's gone. Found you guys through Wikipedia of all places. Good to see some survivors on here.
Him from the old days
Welcome home. 

https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=174.0
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

NT2C

David never told me the official diagnosis, if there actually was one, but essentially his GI tract shut down over a period of about 2 years to the point where he pretty much starved to death.  That's a gross simplification but it's the best I can do at the moment.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

EBuff75

Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Anianna

Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

∩(=^_^=)

12_Gauge_Chimp

Welcome to the new place, Patient_Zer0.

Z.O.R.G.

Crimson_Phoenix

Quote from: Patient_Zer0 on May 04, 2024, 05:54:55 PMHey everybody. I went looking to see what was new on the ZS forums after about 6 years away and Holy shit. It's gone. Found you guys through Wikipedia of all places. Good to see some survivors on here.

Him from the old days

Same way I found this place a little over a month ago. Been on the old ZS boards since 2007 or 2008, started being less active after 2015, and then after a quick burst of activity asking for planning help and reporting on Hurricane Harvey after I, too, evacuated, I haven't been back much at all. I was shocked to find it shut down despite the ongoing pandemic being a potential hotbed for discussion.
Nowhere is a very big place to get lost.

Crimson_Phoenix

Quote from: NT2C on May 04, 2024, 09:04:04 PMDavid never told me the official diagnosis, if there actually was one, but essentially his GI tract shut down over a period of about 2 years to the point where he pretty much starved to death.  That's a gross simplification but it's the best I can do at the moment.

That's rough to hear. Nearly lost Dad around Thanksgiving 2021 to his GI tract getting pinched off by a blockage that led to necrosis and his kidneys failing. They saved him, but he lost so much of his lower intestine and all of his colon, he can never travel again.

Speaking of members not seen on the new board, has anybody heard from HotLead and the guy who was showing a detailed photo series on his project converting an M109A2 mobile shop van into an off road RV?

NT2C

Quote from: Crimson_Phoenix on May 11, 2024, 11:00:59 PM

Him from the old days

Same way I found this place a little over a month ago. Been on the old ZS boards since 2007 or 2008, started being less active after 2015, and then after a quick burst of activity asking for planning help and reporting on Hurricane Harvey after I, too, evacuated, I haven't been back much at all. I was shocked to find it shut down despite the ongoing pandemic being a potential hotbed for discussion.
The pandemic was indeed a hotbed for discussion, too much so.  There was so much controversy regarding the best way to handle it, vax/no vax, etc. that the BoD really had to take a position on it all for the organization to promote, and they lost a lot of members over it.  The same happened here in our early days and we even had an admin resign over our stance on it.

For the ZS BoD the fracturing and loss of membership seemed to be the last straw and they started pushing the admins to shut the site down.  We resisted as best we could, gained an extra 12-18 months of life for the site, but when the order came down that the site WILL be shut down I had to comply.  My biggest regret is that all the assurances I got of the site data being archived and saved were, like much of what the BoD was putting out the last few years, nothing but hot air with a strong taint of bovine excrement.

For the record, and in case anyone has been wondering why none of the old ZS BoD or senior staff ever come by here it's because one of the very first things I did when I set this site up was to scour the logs from ZS and ban all but a very select few of their accounts from our server.  We have also investigated and determined that any rights they had to the Zombie Squad name or logo have long since expired and are free for us to register and use, should we desire.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

Crimson_Phoenix

Quote from: NT2C on May 11, 2024, 11:18:02 PM
Quote from: Crimson_Phoenix on May 11, 2024, 11:00:59 PM

Him from the old days

The pandemic was indeed a hotbed for discussion, too much so.  There was so much controversy regarding the best way to handle it, vax/no vax, etc. that the BoD really had to take a position on it all for the organization to promote, and they lost a lot of members over it.  The same happened here in our early days and we even had an admin resign over our stance on it.

For the ZS BoD the fracturing and loss of membership seemed to be the last straw and they started pushing the admins to shut the site down.  We resisted as best we could, gained an extra 12-18 months of life for the site, but when the order came down that the site WILL be shut down I had to comply.  My biggest regret is that all the assurances I got of the site data being archived and saved were, like much of what the BoD was putting out the last few years, nothing but hot air with a strong taint of bovine excrement.

For the record, and in case anyone has been wondering why none of the old ZS BoD or senior staff ever come by here it's because one of the very first things I did when I set this site up was to scour the logs from ZS and ban all but a very select few of their accounts from our server.  We have also investigated and determined that any rights they had to the Zombie Squad name or logo have long since expired and are free for us to register and use, should we desire.

That's such a shame, but current events of the last decade being what they've been, I've seen people I'd worked with and known for 5-10 years change, I can fully understand.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk