Main Menu

Recent posts

Current Events of Note / Re: A tiny glimpse of my local...
Last post by 12_Gauge_Chimp - Yesterday at 11:17:27 PM
Quote from: Raptor on Yesterday at 11:08:00 PM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on May 26, 2024, 11:18:25 PM
Quote from: Lambykins on May 26, 2024, 09:24:30 PMEvery time I read a post like this I am more and more certain I made the right decision to move to my remote locale.
That behavior would, in all probability, get someone shot up here.With damn few repercussions. At the very least the idiots on the ebikes would be treated to a friendly *counseling* from several locals.

Sounds like my AO.

Remember the "Killer Clown" trend from a few years back ?

Some local idiot tried pranking folks in my town doing that and ended up getting severely beaten by someone he tried to prank at a local park.

I think the pranker ended up with a couple broken ribs, a concussion and some other injuries.
Play stupid games...win stupid prizes.

Consequences have a way of changing behavior.

In this case, so does a baseball bat upside the head.
Current Events of Note / Re: A tiny glimpse of my local...
Last post by Raptor - Yesterday at 11:08:00 PM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on May 26, 2024, 11:18:25 PM
Quote from: Lambykins on May 26, 2024, 09:24:30 PMEvery time I read a post like this I am more and more certain I made the right decision to move to my remote locale.
That behavior would, in all probability, get someone shot up here.With damn few repercussions. At the very least the idiots on the ebikes would be treated to a friendly *counseling* from several locals.

Sounds like my AO.

Remember the "Killer Clown" trend from a few years back ?

Some local idiot tried pranking folks in my town doing that and ended up getting severely beaten by someone he tried to prank at a local park.

I think the pranker ended up with a couple broken ribs, a concussion and some other injuries.
Play stupid games...win stupid prizes.

Consequences have a way of changing behavior.
Current Events of Note / Re: HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY
Last post by Raptor - Yesterday at 10:38:14 PM
My uncle is just one of literally millions of Americans  who gave thier life in defense of the USA since 1776.
https://www.honorstates.org/index.php?id=51222
Memorial Day should be a somber reflection of these sacrifices.

Thank you to all who served this great country. I offer prayers for those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Current Events of Note / Re: Russia is Engaged in Terro...
Last post by Anianna - Yesterday at 10:31:43 PM
QuoteThe covert operations have mostly been arsons or attempted arsons targeting a wide range of sites, including a warehouse in England, a paint factory in Poland, homes in Latvia and, most oddly, an Ikea store in Lithuania.

But people accused of being Russian operatives have also been arrested on charges of plotting attacks on U.S. military bases.

While the acts might appear random, American and European security officials say they are part of a concerted effort by Russia to slow arms transfers to Kyiv and create the appearance of growing European opposition to support for Ukraine. And the officials say Russia's military intelligence arm, the G.R.U., is leading the campaign.

But, also,

QuoteThe attacks, at least so far, have not interrupted the weapons flow to Ukraine, and indeed many of the targets are not directly related to the war. But some security officials say Russia is trying to sow fear and force European nations to add security throughout the weapons supply chain, adding costs and slowing the pace of transfers.

It sounds like they're actually helping more than hurting.  If those security procedures aren't in place already, the supply chain is vulnerable.  If GRU has anything at all to do with this, they're just fucking themselves over.  I'd like to say that makes no sense and this is complete bullshit, but there's a fuckton of shit going on right now that makes little to no sense.  I do feel that calling these feeble attempts at pestering Europe a "shadow war" is a bit hyperbolic and will have little, if anything, to do with potentially ensuing war.
Transportation / Re: What did you do today for ...
Last post by Brekar - Yesterday at 08:17:03 PM
I finally was forced to replace the front brakes/rotors and brake lines on my S10. Last month I had a rear caliper lock up due to a collapsed brake line, resulting in a complete restoration of the rear brake system, and last week I was forced to do the same with the front end brake system. Buying an older truck that sat for a long time has shown me what little things can and will go wrong out of no where. But now I have a truck that stops really well, and won't have to worry about old brake lines collapsing any more.
Communications / Re: Neighborhood low power FM ...
Last post by Z.O.R.G. - Yesterday at 06:51:09 PM
I was doing some research over the weekend and found this...

Low Power FM Radio | Federal Communications Commission (fcc.gov)

Does this serve your needs Blast?

It needs to operate a minimum of 8 hours a day, but a 5 minute PSA every 15 minutes does that.  I'm thinking a cleaver computer operator could put out a weather announcement (from NOAA), some community announcements, etc. on a loop.  Log into a web app and upload/update what you want said.  Add the national anthem at the end if you need extra time.  In the event of a disaster, update the messages or go online in person.  
Current Events of Note / Re: Notable Deaths of 2024
Last post by aikorob - Yesterday at 04:09:25 PM
Also Poland and other Baltic States are reported to be committed to move into the Ukraine if the Russians look like a win.

Baltic officials say they could send troops to Ukraine without waiting for NATO if Russia scores a breakthrough: report (msn.com)

Poland rolls out plans for fortifications along its border with Russia and Belarus | AP News 

IF that happens Putin will be left with a bag of bad choices. The most likely being an attack supported by and through Belarus into Poland by way of Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania as well. IF that happens then it is WWIII. The other choice is backing down, but he has never done that before. He seems more the type to want to watch it all burn.
Current Events of Note / Re: HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY
Last post by Moab - Yesterday at 03:16:09 PM
My grandfather:

You cannot view this attachment.

My father:

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

My dumbass in Japan training to be a scout/sniper:

You cannot view this attachment.

I wish I could find that friend of mine. But I always referred to him as "Williams" and he was from LA. If I knew his first name it's long forgotten. Do you know how many "Williams's" there are in LA?!

Happy Memorial Day!!!!
Communications / Re: What did you do for your c...
Last post by Moab - Yesterday at 03:02:09 PM
Quote from: TACAIR on Yesterday at 02:31:48 PMFinally have in hand the AA cell battery trays for my UV-5R8W HTs.  Now, all my HTs have an AA cell tray.

Is there a battery tray for a 18650 flashlight? I tried staying with AAs for years. But to no avail. I guess they might make a AAA tray. Or could use maybe the cr123's? They make those in disposables. We just discussed this. But I just found that sooner or later I needed to charge batteries. So the AA thing went out the window.

Have you found an AA option for everything that works? And provides a sufficient emergency advantage?
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk