What did you do today for your bug out vehicle?

Started by NT2C, January 07, 2022, 05:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NT2C

Just bought a full set of these for our Jeep to replace the Goodyear Wranglers that it came with. 28.5K and already down to the 4mm tread depth that I consider minimum.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

NapalmMan67

Never had any luck with GY tires, all were pretty much junk.  Only buy Cooper or BFG these days- at least the US made ones anyway.

Never heard of Falken.  Japanese.  Hmmmm...
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

NT2C

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on January 08, 2022, 12:57:19 PM
Never had any luck with GY tires, all were pretty much junk.  Only buy Cooper or BFG these days- at least the US made ones anyway.

Never heard of Falken.  Japanese.  Hmmmm...
I've never much cared for Goodyear or BFG, but when I had my station we were Cooper dealers, which included all their sub-brands like Uniroyal and General.  I've liked their tires ever since but was willing to give the GY Wranglers a chance since my mechanic raved about them.  The only BFGs I've ever had was a set I put on my utility truck, BFG Commercial TA Traction or some such shit.  Supposed to last 60k, barely got 30 and they wouldn't honor the mileage warranty because the dealer I bought them from didn't do the install (long story there including a part where I dragged a guy out of my truck through the window) so I'll never buy theirs again.  Falken is new to me too, but I like the parent company Sumitomo, and these seem to be "the" tire to put on Jeeps like mine for trail crawling and highway, so I'm willing to try them.

Current Weather in My AO

EBuff75

I've had all sorts of different tire brands over the years.  No particular favorites - I just buy high-quality tires which are well-rated for whichever vehicle I have.  Currently I have Vredestein Quatrac Pro tires on my Mazda and General Grabber ATx tires on my Suburban.  I've been quite happy with both of them so far (only about 2000 miles on the Grabbers and about 5000 on the Vredesteins).  Both of them are winter-rated (triple peak snowflake), which was a big part of why I selected them. 
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

NT2C

Quote from: EBuff75 on January 08, 2022, 01:55:23 PM
I've had all sorts of different tire brands over the years.  No particular favorites - I just buy high-quality tires which are well-rated for whichever vehicle I have.  Currently I have Vredestein Quatrac Pro tires on my Mazda and General Grabber ATx tires on my Suburban.  I've been quite happy with both of them so far (only about 2000 miles on the Grabbers and about 5000 on the Vredesteins).  Both of them are winter-rated (triple peak snowflake), which was a big part of why I selected them.
Our Dakota is on its 2nd set of General Grabber AT2 tires.  Those things are awesome.  Never been stuck with them, even in heavy snow or on deeply muddy job sites.  Got 72k miles out of the last set, and one was good enough to replace the OEM spare that was in good condition but 20 years old.

Current Weather in My AO

EBuff75

Quote from: NT2C on January 08, 2022, 04:09:06 PM
Quote from: EBuff75 on January 08, 2022, 01:55:23 PM
Our Dakota is on its 2nd set of General Grabber AT2 tires.  Those things are awesome.  Never been stuck with them, even in heavy snow or on deeply muddy job sites.  Got 72k miles out of the last set, and one was good enough to replace the OEM spare that was in good condition but 20 years old.

I really like the General Grabber ATx tires (which are very similar to the AT2).  They replaced an old set of Bridgestone Dueller A/T tires which had plenty of tread, but were so old that they were getting hard.  The new tires are quieter, smoother, have better traction, and were fairly cheap - I think I paid about $700 out the door for the whole set!  All of that adds up to a win in my book!
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Brekar

I'm a huge fan of Cooper and Hankook tires. I've ran one or the other for years now and they've never failed me. My all time favorite tires are the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's and the Hankook Dynapro ATM's. Both amazing tires. That being said, Hankook has discontinued making the tires I've ran on everything, the Hankook Dynapro ATM's, with the Hankook Dynapro AT2's, which I have a set of currently on my wife's Escalade. They are an OK replacement, but I think they messed up by replacing one with the other.
On my newest Bugout vehicle, a 2000 S10 4x4, currently came with Ironman All Country A/T tires. They are pretty decent tires from what I can see so far this winter, but I'm going to be replacing them in the next few months with the Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 A/T's and see how those work on me.

slipkid42

My mechanic sells a lot of those Falken's.  Says they are a great for the $, aggressive enough and good in snow. 
Once my tires are done, I'll be getting those as well. 
"Savor the fruit of life, my young friends. It has a sweet taste when it is fresh from the vine, but don't live too long. The taste turns bitter ... after a time." --Kor, The Dahar Master

NT2C

Quote from: slipkid42 on January 09, 2022, 08:31:07 PM
My mechanic sells a lot of those Falken's.  Says they are a great for the $, aggressive enough and good in snow. 
Once my tires are done, I'll be getting those as well.
Check back here before you do.  I'll be posting my opinion of them starting with day one and continuing as needed and as time goes by.

Current Weather in My AO

airballrad

I just added 2x 4Ah power tool batteries for the few power tools that live in my BOV. Bonus is that I realized that the lantern that uses those batteries also has a USB port for charging devices, so I also just massively increased my phone runtime in a pinch.

CG

Appointment has been made to have the new beast detailed on Thursday.  After that, I can start loading up.  For now, I just have a basket in there with the necessities.

Things in there now:

• air pump that runs off the car
  • flashlight that could jump my tiny car
  • long ice scraper
  • 2 bottles of water

Once I can start loading it up, my cloak (full-length, wool military blankets lined with fleece) and a pair of tennis shoes with socks should definitely be added (it's below freezing this morning, and I'm wearing strappy minimalist sandals).  I'll add in some Hot Hands as well.  Maybe a lantern flashlight.  Anything else will probably just be added for trips, as things tend to melt in Texas even in the winter.

I need a new set of jumper cables - I didn't have any in the tiny car because the jump start flashlight could jump it with no problems.  This bigger one, maybe not so much. 

Mr. E. Monkey

So this was yesterday, not today, but close enough?  At any rate, I replaced the reverse lockout cable on my non-bugout vehicle (2013 Dodge Dart) so that I can keep using it as my daily driver, instead of putting the mileage/wear and tear on my bugout vehicle (2004 Nissan Titan).  In the process, I discovered that the shift knob I got for the Dart (I had to take apart the stock knob as part of the repair process, and wasn't sure I would be able to do so without destroying it) doesn't fit the Dart, but DOES fit the Titan, so now I have a spare shifter knob for my BOV.  Not really a concern (at all), but yay?  :p
Quote from: SMoAF'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: BeowolfDisasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bushTHE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

NT2C

Quote from: my wifeYour purchases sure do go on strange journeys.

My tires got shipped from the company warehouse in Middletown, PA at 16:11 yesterday afternoon.  FedEx got them to their hub in Hagerstown, MD at 00:29 this morning.  They left Hagerstown, MD at 02:52 this morning, presumably headed here to Fredericksburg.  They then disappeared until 17:17 when I got the cryptic message:

In transit
FREDERICKSBURG,VA

There has been nothing further.  They were due for delivery today but are now shown as:
Updated Delivery
PENDING
Initially expected: Tue, Jan 11

Are they "in transit" in Fredericksburg somewhere or still on their way to Fredericksburg?  The "initially expected", and current time of day, seems to indicate delivery will be tomorrow, not today, but that's hard to say.

Good thing I didn't have an appointment to get them installed this evening.  Oh wait, I did!  Guess I'm going to have some 'splaining to do tomorrow when I call the shop for a new appointment.

Current Weather in My AO

NapalmMan67

Currently charging the battery on mine, because I forgot to plug in the batt. tender.    :headbang:

Guess I should drive it more than only once every few months.

NT2C

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on January 12, 2022, 01:06:52 PM
Currently charging the battery on mine, because I forgot to plug in the batt. tender.    :headbang:

Especially since letting one go dead can cost 10% of a battery's lifespan and capacity.  They can also freeze more easily when not charged, damaging internal components.

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C

In other news, I can haz tires:

Now to get them mounted and balanced tonight.

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C

So far, so good.  There's a little rumble to the ride now, more felt than heard, but otherwise they seem fine.  Took the Jeep up I-95 for a 40 mile loop with speeds to 85 and they handled just perfect.  :awesome:

Current Weather in My AO

Mr. E. Monkey

Quote from: NT2C on January 12, 2022, 08:20:29 PM
So far, so good.  There's a little rumble to the ride now, more felt than heard, but otherwise they seem fine.  Took the Jeep up I-95 for a 40 mile loop with speeds to 85 and they handled just perfect.  :awesome:
See the source image

I need to clean my BOV.  Clean, then organize.  And I think it's just about due for an oil change.  I guess I have the start of a plan for this weekend now...we'll see if it comes together.   :awesome:
Quote from: SMoAF'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: BeowolfDisasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bushTHE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

NT2C

Put back into the Jeep all the stuff I had to take out to carry the tires to the dealer.  Added a second first aid kit and a small fire extinguisher, and installed a seatback set of pockets across the whole back seat.

Detachable Seat Back Hanging Organizers Storage with Zippers

More pic of the tires:

Current Weather in My AO

NapalmMan67

Quote from: NT2C on January 12, 2022, 02:29:01 PM
Quote from: NapalmMan67 on January 12, 2022, 01:06:52 PM

Especially since letting one go dead can cost 10% of a battery's lifespan and capacity.  They can also freeze more easily when not charged, damaging internal components. 

Yep.  Only positive I have going is it's the same AGM Deep Cycle style I had previously and went through this more than once with that one, and it lasted 15 years.  I'd have to look in the file as I don't remember when I installed this one, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk