Author Topic: Interpersonal Communication advise  (Read 200 times)

Offline wolf_from_wv

• I'm new and haven't changed this yet.
  • Reactions:
Interpersonal Communication advise
« on: January 03, 2022, 10:05:02 PM »
overheard at gun show:
Guy at table commented on the couple's future child, possibly about buying something to pass down...

Woman: I'm not pregnant...

-------

"Oh, I'm sorry, please forgive me."

"Oh... Is that a rabbit over there?"

Those are a couple of acceptable responses, maybe a sale could still follow.

-----

"Well, you look like you are."

That is not the correct response.

Offline RoneKiln

• Perpetual Newbie
  • Paid Member
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Reactions:
Re: Interpersonal Communication advise
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 11:15:48 PM »
I'd laugh if I saw a guy get punched for that and tell him that he deserved it.

A friend of mine had a guy do nearly the same thing to her once and luckily it was at a moment she was able to recognise the truth in what the jerk said.

Now she teaches yoga and dance for a living and runs marathons for fun.

I think most of the time such comments just make people feel worse and the worse someone feels, the harder it is to care for oneself.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Offline wolf_from_wv

• I'm new and haven't changed this yet.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 01:44:31 PM »
And to say that in a large room filled with (hopefully) unloaded guns, knives, tasers, etc...

Offline Anianna

• The cool mom on the block
  • Zombies ate my personal text.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 03:17:14 PM »
"Well, you look like you are."

My response to that would have been "Likewise, when are you due?".
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

∩(=^_^=)

Offline Raptor

• Designated Survivor
  • Administrator
  • Duco Erco Sum
  • Reactions:
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 03:53:23 PM »
Ok a note for any male over the age of 6 years old.

We all know guy rule #22:
"A male over the age of 6 is never allowed to comment/ask/remark or otherwise note the potential, possible (however likely or unlikely) pregnancy that he may or may not observe in a woman who is not his wife"...even then it is risky and should never be done in public.

The sole exception to rule #22 for men is if the woman begins shouting that she is in labor, needs help and is giving birth right then and there ... even then, the male is required to feign surprise and shock and state out loud, verbiage to the effect that "He had no idea that she was pregnant". 

Violation of guy rule #22 is punishable in a variety of ways including but not limited to hiding the TV remote control for 30 days and pouring out of the offenders adult beverage of choice while he watches.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 04:07:56 PM by Raptor »
I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers.

As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

Offline NT2C

• (your ad here!)
  • Administrator
  • Epic Member
  • Reactions:
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 04:12:08 PM »
I've actually been guilty of asking a lady when her due date was, only to be told, "I'm not pregnant, just fat" and told that she understood and really wasn't offended when I tried to apologize.  So, you can get out of this unscathed, guys, just be cool about how you say it, offer immediate apologies, and head for the closest exit.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Offline RoneKiln

• Perpetual Newbie
  • Paid Member
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Reactions:
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 11:10:48 PM »

Unfortunately rule #22 is also tied to Catch 22 in that you'll also get in trouble for not noticing if she really is pregnant and complimenting her on her "glow," how great she looks, visibly showing all the appropriate excitement (don't ask me for details on that, if I knew, I wouldn't get in trouble), and leaping to help with every little thing.

But I would rather be in trouble for not noticing than be in trouble for hurting someone's feelings.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Offline Raptor

• Designated Survivor
  • Administrator
  • Duco Erco Sum
  • Reactions:
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 11:11:20 AM »

Unfortunately rule #22 is also tied to Catch 22 in that you'll also get in trouble for not noticing if she really is pregnant and complimenting her on her "glow," how great she looks, visibly showing all the appropriate excitement (don't ask me for details on that, if I knew, I wouldn't get in trouble), and leaping to help with every little thing.

Indeed but that is guy rule #1
You can never win an argument with a wife/GF/woman, because even (especially) if you win the argument you lose.

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers.

As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

Offline SCBrian

• Definitely a Human. Just like you.
  • I haz a member, and it's full!
  • Reactions:
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 07:08:00 AM »
I've been guilty of that (at least) once before.
Just this year in fact.  Going through the mail room at 100 mile an hour 'cause I got stuff to do' met one of the new Teachers. 
Me: "Hey! I'm SCBrian, nice to meet you, how you doing"...
Her: "I'm...."
ME: (waits, cause I know I'm extra sometimes, esp if the caffeine is strong)
Her: "i'm....."
Me: "That's ok, they give us these cool badges with our names on them, so when we forget, we can look and remember!  :awesome:  "
Her: "..I have a speech impediment..."
 :-[
Me: " :headbang: I am SO sorry.  I'm going to go find someone now in a wheelchair and push them over, to get the upgraded ticket to hell...  :smiley_devil:"

She seemed ok, still kinda cold to me, but I think we're at least on neutral ground... lol

BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

Offline mzmc

• Paid Member
  • Just wandered in.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 07:26:33 PM »
To explain myself, she was my patient, I was about to give her misoprostol, so I think I might have been excused?
May contain traces of derp.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk