Author Topic: THE EXPANSE The Final Season  (Read 485 times)

Offline RickOShea

• UFoZS' version of Gun Jesus
  • Gulf Coast, AL
  • Reactions:
THE EXPANSE The Final Season
« on: November 16, 2021, 03:58:21 PM »
The Expanse Season 6 - Official Trailer - Amazon Prime Video

Starts December 10th...

Offline majorhavoc

• Jr. Member in perpetuity
  • Global Moderator
  • Not all those who wander are lost
  • Reactions:
Re: THE EXPANSE The Final Season
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 05:16:21 PM »
I'm re-watching all five seasons right now in preparation for the final season due to drop in early December.  I've also plowed through the first 3 books and have the 4th on order.   I kind of wish I discovered The Expanse when it first came out, but I'm happy I finally understood what the hell everyone was crowing about. 

I am so stoked for season six!
Give me a minute.  I'll think of something.

Offline Ever (Zombiepreparation)

• Reactions:
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 01:05:39 AM »
It took me a lonnnng time to even get around to investigating this even though it showed up on my feed every time I opened hulu. Just kept passing it by. Then this summer an acquaintance was telling me about it, I checked it out.... and finished all five seasons before she did.  In three or four massive binges. Even went back to rewatch more than a few episodes.

So we get another season in December, huh. Well, Merry Christmas to me!

Thanks for the heads up.
-- Nothing hurts like feeling you're safe, and then, having someone with power over you take it away.

All you can do is get it right yourself.
-Susan

Offline mzmc

• Paid Member
  • Just wandered in.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 07:39:48 AM »
I'm drooling a bit.

Decided I will read the books as soon as the series is through.
May contain traces of derp.

Offline majorhavoc

• Global Moderator
  • Reactions:
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 05:05:31 PM »
I'm drooling a bit.

The books are quite good, at least the three I've read so far (although I can't figure out the basis for the names of each volume).  The series mostly follows the books, but the show combines certain characters and eliminates/glosses over some tangential plot lines.  Which I'm fine with; TV is a different medium and certain things don't translate as well from page to screen.

I've got a bit of a man-crush on Wes Chatham, because his portrayal of Amos Burton is fantastic.  And Shohreh Aghdashloo is fucking (highly appropriate word choice) brilliant.

Offline mzmc

• Paid Member
  • Just wandered in.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 10:57:21 AM »
I've got a bit of a man-crush on Wes Chatham, because his portrayal of Amos Burton is fantastic.  And Shohreh Aghdashloo is fucking (highly appropriate word choice) brilliant.

Those two casting choices are stellar!

Chrisjen Avasarala is fucking ruthless, but never for personal gain. She is cynical on an individual level, but still believes in the greater good, for which she is willing to sacrifice absolutely everything. And Aghdashloo just nails that character.
May contain traces of derp.

Offline Ever (Zombiepreparation)

• Reactions:
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 10:45:36 PM »
I'm drooling a bit.

The books are quite good, at least the three I've read so far (although I can't figure out the basis for the names of each volume).  The series mostly follows the books, but the show combines certain characters and eliminates/glosses over some tangential plot lines.  Which I'm fine with; TV is a different medium and certain things don't translate as well from page to screen.

Reporting in from the old lady brigade..... Am also crushing on Amos Burton as played by Wes Chatham.

👵
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 10:57:29 PM by Ever (Zombiepreparation) »
-- Nothing hurts like feeling you're safe, and then, having someone with power over you take it away.

All you can do is get it right yourself.
-Susan

Offline RickOShea

• Gulf Coast, AL
  • Reactions:
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 05:32:57 PM »
[Sarcasm] Welp, that first episode was like totally not depressing at all. [/Sarcasm]  :awesome:

....and then there's Laconia.

Oh yeah, and there's also this...

Offline RickOShea

• Gulf Coast, AL
  • Reactions:
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2021, 11:56:32 AM »
Whoa, I just noticed there's only six episodes in season 6. :zomg:

I hope they don't Game of Thrones it.

ETA: In the "x-ray bonus content" section of episode 6x1 there is a 5 minute scene called "One Ship", concerning Drummer and her crew.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 12:35:31 PM by RickOShea »

Offline RickOShea

• Gulf Coast, AL
  • Reactions:
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 12:07:52 PM »
Ugh....this season is so good, even the little bonus content vignettes.

Can't believe there are only two episodes left.  :smiley_cry:

Offline SCBrian

• Definitely a Human. Just like you.
  • I haz a member, and it's full!
  • Reactions:
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 04:18:27 PM »
(Waiting to binge s6)
Please use spoiler tags if you need to post something important  :)  :greenguy:
BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

Offline RickOShea

• Gulf Coast, AL
  • Reactions:
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2022, 10:10:57 AM »
WOW. The FTF meeting of two characters that I didn't even know I needed, or wanted. Excellent....but only one episode left. :gonk:

Offline majorhavoc

• Global Moderator
  • Reactions:
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2022, 10:42:47 AM »
I can finally rejoin this thread because I finished re-watching Seasons 1-5 and have now seen the first 4 episodes of Season 6.  I guess one bonus of my aborted travel plans for this weekend is that I can watch the next-to-last episode today. 

I've heard from multiple sources that advance reviewers say the series wraps up in a very satisfying way.  Not at all like <choke> Game of Thrones <retch> season 8 <*yerp*>.  :smiley_bagonhead:  Here's hoping that's true.  I'm also picking up chatter about either a possible Season 7 or perhaps a spin-off series.  I'd be happy with either way of continuing the franchise as long as they do it justice.  Otherwise, hopefully they hit the finale on a high note and just let fans savor the brilliance that The Expanse will forever be known for. 

I really hate it when they take a great series well past its expiration date and ride it down the rails into mediocrity.

One downside to The Expanse?  I tried watching the first episode of Netflix's Season 2 of Lost in Space.  I rather enjoyed the first season.  But after The Expanse, LiS is nearly unwatchable to me.  I'm spoiled.

But one tiny example: the sheer technical virtuosity of this one tracking shot (from Season 4, I think) is mind-boggling.  I can't imagine the level of difficulty it took to pull this off.  It brilliantly merges practical and CGI camera work, builds out the fictional world of this show and fleshes out Amos's background.  Even the music is pitch-perfect.  Like I said, I'm spoiled.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 10:51:19 AM by majorhavoc »

Offline SCBrian

• Definitely a Human. Just like you.
  • I haz a member, and it's full!
  • Reactions:
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2022, 08:26:23 AM »
Something I came across that may be of some interest to y'all on Friday:

If you’re a fan of The Expanse, like me, you’re probably wondering whether its final six episodes — currently airing each Friday through January 14th — are enough to wrap up its epic story. What you’re probably not wondering: whether Amazon has buried nearly one-tenth of the show’s final season in a place you might not think to look, and can’t even find on your TV.

But it’s true. The Expanse’s production company filmed an additional 25 minutes of story across five vignettes, which you can only access through Amazon’s X-Ray service by pausing the show and scrolling through otherwise hidden menus. (They’re under Bonus Content.) But I couldn’t find them on Apple TV or Google TV, and the showrunners have confirmed that’s because Amazon hasn’t made them available there yet. They’re only on phones, tablets, and computers for now.

Fair warning: they’re not exactly important to the plot, nor do they meaningfully fill in all the gaps. I’ve watched all six main episodes and all five X-Rays, and I wouldn’t say any of the side stories were strictly necessary. But they were absolutely worth my time, one of them was super fun, and I’d be angry if I never knew they existed.
"“They are in order and connected to the narrative”"
Plus, The Expanse showrunner and co-author Daniel Abraham tells me they were designed to be shown in order with the main episodes. “They are in order and connected to the narrative, so watch them in order,” he warned me.

BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

Offline RickOShea

• Gulf Coast, AL
  • Reactions:
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2022, 11:01:42 AM »
They’re only on phones, tablets, and computers for now.
Odd. Since the season began, I've been able to watch those five minute vignettes on my TV thru the amazon prime app on both a Firestick and my old PS4.

Offline RickOShea

• Gulf Coast, AL
  • Reactions:
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 01:47:43 AM »
"You duplicitous little shit!"  :awesome:

Took a nap this afternoon so I could stay up and watch the finale at midnight.

Offline majorhavoc

• Global Moderator
  • Reactions:
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2022, 08:56:07 PM »
"You duplicitous little shit!"  :awesome:

Took a nap this afternoon so I could stay up and watch the finale at midnight.
That was great line, but I thought this one was better:

"You were a useful distraction, but I have gods to kill."  :eek1:

Which leads into discussion of this "final" episode ....
<Spoilers ahead>

OK, there has to be a Season 7, or at least a spin off series because they left way too many loose ends to just stop. 
1) What the hell is going on at Laconia? 
a) First, ahem, about that gigantic ancient space-ship-from-Hell that they've powered up.  Who made it?  The race that created the protomolecule (Team Blue) or the even more sinister race that killed Team Blue (Team Orange).
b) Does anyone believe "Zan" is still Zan after the dogs turned him into a blue-eyed protomolecule zombie that bleeds black blood?  Last we see he and his sister were running off into the darkened forest with those "dogs" flanking them. 
2) Clarissa/Peaches: so, she has an untreatable and always-fatal reaction to her mod implants?  Life expectancy of less than five years?  And this after she basically pinned Amos and so now aren't they going steady?  They can't just drop that.  And is it just me or does this seem like exactly the kind of condition that could be fixed by the protomolecule?  I'm thinking the Mao family isn't done screwing around with the protomolecule.
3) Speaking of protomolecule, Holden mentioned still not knowing where the last sample went to after it was stolen by the faction that killed Fred Anderson.  The easiest explanation is that it went to Laconia and that's how they jumpstarted aforementioned alien spaceship from Hell.  But do we actually know that?
4) Filip is alive and the last we saw of him he was busy changing his last name from Inaros to Nagata.  Sure, he helped slaughter millions on Earth but hey, that was just youthful indiscretion.  He's had a change of heart!  I'm sure the UN will be delighted to know he's still alive.
5) Drummer has gone all Lando Calrissian and is now got a desk job heading up the Ring Trade Union?  I don't buy it.  Family and freedom are too important to Drummer.  I can't see her in that position for long.
6) While it doesn't look good for Marcos and those mutinous Martian Navy types when they got all angry-orange swirl-ified.  But do we actually know they're dead?  What if they're somehow being used by the angry Team Orange that the Rossi crew "woke up"?  Or maybe that isn't even what's really happening and the ships disappearing in a those swirly orange voids means something else entirely.

Other reasons I think a 7th season may be in the offing:
1) I was so disconcerted by all the loose ends that I half-convinced myself there was must be one more episode coming out next Friday.  So I checked the Season 6: episode listing on Amazon Prime.  Nope, they definitely refer to this last episode as the finale.  Funny thing though ... they're calling it the season finale, not the series finale.  Odd choice ...
2) And finally, y'all did watch the end credits all the way through, right?  While there was no post credits scene ala MCU, there were some very interesting things going on within the ring in the background as the credits were scrolling by.  Very interesting indeed. 

« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 10:51:35 PM by majorhavoc »

Offline RickOShea

• Gulf Coast, AL
  • Reactions:
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2022, 11:03:31 PM »
[Spoilers]

IIRC, where the story in season 6 ends there is like a 30 year time jump in the books. The show writers didn't want to deviate from the books and just tie everything up with a nice pretty bow for the series finale, and instead purposely left the whole Laconia and Builders questions unanswered.

One of the writers or producers (can't remember which) said to think of the finale as a "pause". My only problem with that is that when Bezos and Amazon bought the show, they poured a lot of money into it think it would become one of Prime's flagship shows....but the viewership numbers didn't really pick-up very much over those when it was on the Syfy channel. So I'm not sure if there will be any financial interest in concluding the story. There's the Telltale video game I posted about earlier, but I'm not sure if there are any plans beyond that for the franchise.

ETA: As for Drummer being the President of the Transport Union, I think she has been working up to a role like that for a while, whether she knew it or not. She spent several years on Ceres working for Dawes, then several years for Fred as head of security on Tycho, and it seemed like she planned on being the bossmang on Medina station for a good while....until Fred pissed her off. I know she told Naomi that she didn't want to get involved in the politics, but I think when she said that she meant that it would be useless because the Belters would never have any real political power. But now, as the head of the Transport Union, she is probably just as powerful as the UN General Secretary or the Martian Prime Minister, if not more powerful.

[/Spoilers]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk