Computers CHAT - 2021

Started by NT2C, November 15, 2021, 04:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NT2C

It pays to prepare.  :awesome:

Early this morning, around 0500, I decided to stop putting off the OS upgrade on my NAS.  I'd been meaning to do it for some time now and kept putting it off because it was going to be a PITA with some apps getting merged into the OS, some getting removed, and some getting merged together into one, with all kinds of dire warnings regarding how superbly it all could get fucked if it all wasn't done correctly.  The biggest warning was not to shut down the unit while it was updating. 

0500 on a Sunday morning.  What could possibly go wrong?  :icon_crazy:

My first hint that shit was gonna go sideways was when every UPS in the house (we have five) clicked and bleeped about 5 minutes into the update.  Uh-oh...  :eek1:  Well, it's alone on its very own UPS with a fresh battery update, so it should be fine.  Ran my entire system, routers/modem/phones/etc. for 30-40 minutes.  Should be fine for this if the power goes out.  And it did, and it was.  It only went out for a minute or so, and the NAS never even noticed.

Then the cable internet went out.  That it noticed.  It had been in the process of downloading updates for all the apps and was only up to 9/18 and now it was bitching about being unable to connect.  Thinking quick I setup my phone as a mobile hotspot and used that to connect my PC to the internet (love that new cell booster I installed - 5G is fun!) and fed that connection to the NAS.  It still failed some of the updates to apps, but only because they needed to be manually handled.  Right now our internet has been back about 30 minutes and the NAS is now chugging along, reindexing all my photos and videos to work with the new app for them (combined two previous gen apps).  All the updates are downloaded and installed and nothing went down the shitter.

UPS/5G/Cell booster for the win!  :smiley_clap:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

MacWa77ace

Quote from: NT2C on January 30, 2022, 02:39:04 PM
It pays to prepare.  :awesome:

Early this morning, around 0500, I decided to stop putting off the OS upgrade on my NAS.  I'd been meaning to do it for some time now and kept putting it off because it was going to be a PITA with some apps getting merged into the OS, some getting removed, and some getting merged together into one, with all kinds of dire warnings regarding how superbly it all could get fucked if it all wasn't done correctly.  The biggest warning was not to shut down the unit while it was updating. 

0500 on a Sunday morning.  What could possibly go wrong?  :icon_crazy:

My first hint that shit was gonna go sideways was when every UPS in the house (we have five) clicked and bleeped about 5 minutes into the update.  Uh-oh...  :eek1:  Well, it's alone on its very own UPS with a fresh battery update, so it should be fine.  Ran my entire system, routers/modem/phones/etc. for 30-40 minutes.  Should be fine for this if the power goes out.  And it did, and it was.  It only went out for a minute or so, and the NAS never even noticed.

Then the cable internet went out.  That it noticed.  It had been in the process of downloading updates for all the apps and was only up to 9/18 and now it was bitching about being unable to connect.  Thinking quick I setup my phone as a mobile hotspot and used that to connect my PC to the internet (love that new cell booster I installed - 5G is fun!) and fed that connection to the NAS.  It still failed some of the updates to apps, but only because they needed to be manually handled.  Right now our internet has been back about 30 minutes and the NAS is now chugging along, reindexing all my photos and videos to work with the new app for them (combined two previous gen apps).  All the updates are downloaded and installed and nothing went down the shitter.

UPS/5G/Cell booster for the win!  :smiley_clap:

My power and internet only go out when doing updates. Only!

It's like when you wash the car or add water to the pool to make it rain.

Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel
#TRowPriceSucks
97% of scientists agree with whoever is funding them.

NT2C

I'm bummed.  My mouse is dying and it's a discontinued model.

I'm very fond of the Logitech Performance MX mouse due to the four side buttons and large form factor that fits my large hand (99% of the mice I've tried are too small for my hand and cause finger cramping), and also that it's rechargeable.  Amazon Basics makes one that's very similar to it in size/shape and button layout but it isn't rechargeable (I can live with that since it has long battery life) but I cannot reprogram the side buttons to emulate the way I have the Logitech setup.  I've tried X-Mouse and, while it allows me to reprogram the "forward" and "back" buttons (it calls the "button 4" and "button 5") it has no functions for the other two buttons.  That's a deal breaker for me.  I need that 4th side button (guess that would be "button 7") reprogrammed as a carriage return/enter key.  Amazon has it as a Windows key which I feel is rather stupid.  Why make it emulate the Win key and not allow reprogramming it?  I can hit the Win key with my left hand without releasing the mouse.  To hit the "Enter" key I have to let go of the mouse and move that hand to the keyboard, then back to the mouse. 

Any suggestions?  I've tried the replacement Logitech came out for the Performance MX, called the MX Master 2S and it's crap.  The "thumb scroll wheel" constantly hit against my thumb and caused blisters.

Current Weather in My AO

EBuff75

Quote from: NT2C on February 13, 2022, 07:53:15 AM

I'm very fond of the Logitech Performance MX mouse due to the four side buttons and large form factor that fits my large hand (99% of the mice I've tried are too small for my hand and cause finger cramping), and also that it's rechargeable.  Amazon Basics makes one that's very similar to it in size/shape and button layout but it isn't rechargeable (I can live with that since it has long battery life) but I cannot reprogram the side buttons to emulate the way I have the Logitech setup.  I've tried X-Mouse and, while it allows me to reprogram the "forward" and "back" buttons (it calls the "button 4" and "button 5") it has no functions for the other two buttons.  That's a deal breaker for me.  I need that 4th side button (guess that would be "button 7") reprogrammed as a carriage return/enter key.  Amazon has it as a Windows key which I feel is rather stupid.  Why make it emulate the Win key and not allow reprogramming it?  I can hit the Win key with my left hand without releasing the mouse.  To hit the "Enter" key I have to let go of the mouse and move that hand to the keyboard, then back to the mouse. 

Any suggestions?  I've tried the replacement Logitech came out for the Performance MX, called the MX Master 2S and it's crap.  The "thumb scroll wheel" constantly hit against my thumb and caused blisters.

I've been using the Logitech M720 for the last few years, but it doesn't have all of the features you're describing.  Two regular buttons and the scroll wheel can either be smooth or have the detents (there's a button to mechanically switch between the two options).  Three side buttons, with the two forward/back buttons being programmable.  The third allows you to switch between up to 3 different computers, so that you can use just the one mouse and switch which one it is talking to.
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

NT2C

Quote from: EBuff75 on February 13, 2022, 03:16:27 PM
Quote from: NT2C on February 13, 2022, 07:53:15 AM

I've been using the Logitech M720 for the last few years, but it doesn't have all of the features you're describing.  Two regular buttons and the scroll wheel can either be smooth or have the detents (there's a button to mechanically switch between the two options).  Three side buttons, with the two forward/back buttons being programmable.  The third allows you to switch between up to 3 different computers, so that you can use just the one mouse and switch which one it is talking to.
Ya, I've looked at the M720 and it may not do what I need.  I need to see how one fits my hand and may order one from Amazon for $40.  Right now I've got my remaining MX working again, but who knows for how long?  Meanwhile, the G604 from Logitech looks promising if I can retrain my muscle memory to not go for that hidden thumb button to save stuff (how I have mine programmed).

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C

Boy, when you're half asleep and just want to head off to bed but have a couple of chores to do first, NOTHING will wake you up faster or more completely than having a fresh, full, laser printer toner cartridge slip out of your fingers and go bouncing across your desk.   :smiley_shock:

Current Weather in My AO

EBuff75

Quote from: NT2C on February 21, 2022, 04:25:32 PM
Boy, when you're half asleep and just want to head off to bed but have a couple of chores to do first, NOTHING will wake you up faster or more completely than having a fresh, full, laser printer toner cartridge slip out of your fingers and go bouncing across your desk.   :smiley_shock:

I know that there's a new Windows Dark theme, but this is taking things a bit too far...
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

NT2C

Quote from: EBuff75 on February 21, 2022, 04:33:54 PM
Quote from: NT2C on February 21, 2022, 04:25:32 PM

I know that there's a new Windows Dark theme, but this is taking things a bit too far...
I agree. It was cyan.

Current Weather in My AO

NapalmMan67

I have a personal computation machine too.  I turn it on, type stuff on the key board, look at things online, I delete the browsing history, then I shut it down when I'm done.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

SCBrian

OK Masterminds. 
I think it's the lack of caffeine impeeding this.
I Just upgraded to fiber 1k/1k. 
WIFI pulling 700Mbps
Direct connect only getting 370d / 800 up. 
All tests done through beta.speedtest....
Tried different ports in the router.  Different cables (bought a new one, just in case)
Thoughts before going through the (ugh) official support??

BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

NT2C

Quote from: SCBrian on February 22, 2022, 04:36:30 PM
OK Masterminds. 
WIFI pulling 700Mbps
Tried different ports in the router.  Different cables (bought a new one, just in case)
How's the firmware on the router?  Up-to-date?  Ports on both devices rated for gigabit speeds?  Router properly configured?

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C

I personally think it's obscenely indulgent, but I now have a mouse that cost as much as my first three cars... combined.   :icon_crazy:

Okay, two of the cars were free but the third one cost me about half what the MX Master 3 mouse (in grey no less) sitting in its custom case on my desk, relaxing and sipping a delicate trickle of 5VDC nectar cost me.

Current Weather in My AO

MacWa77ace

OK Masterminds. 
WIFI pulling 700Mbps

What testing server are you using? Maybe that is the slow end of your hyper speed. try a different server, maybe not as close. Mine always tests slower on WiFi than direct connect. And changing test servers can make a difference. Your not over your data limit are you? :smiley_crocodile:

Once I put instant coffee in a microwave...
I almost went back in time.
~ Steven Wright

So I threw my watered down drink in his face, and walked out of there. And they banned me... for being to good.
~Bill Blaze
Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel
#TRowPriceSucks
97% of scientists agree with whoever is funding them.

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: NT2C on February 22, 2022, 04:44:38 PM
I personally think it's obscenely indulgent, but I now have a mouse that cost as much as my first three cars... combined.   :icon_crazy:

Okay, two of the cars were free but the third one cost me about half what the MX Master 3 mouse (in grey no less) sitting in its custom case on my desk, relaxing and sipping a delicate trickle of 5VDC nectar cost me.

I had to look that particular mouse up and it's a nice one. Bit expensive for me, but aside from that, it's a nice looking piece of equipment.

And now I'm wondering what the most expensive computer mouse out there is.

ETA: Just looked it up and the most expensive computer mouse is 35K and is made in Ukraine.  :eek1:

NapalmMan67

So what does that get you?  Besides needing to get out of the house more.      ???

SCBrian

Quote from: NT2C on February 22, 2022, 04:40:25 PM
How's the firmware on the router?  Up-to-date?  Ports on both devices rated for gigabit speeds?  Router properly configured?
Yea, went through the 15 min update on installation.  All ports rated for gig, and one rated for 5 gig.  Tried them all.
Seems properly configured... :(

Quote from: MacWa77ace on February 22, 2022, 04:46:28 PM
What testing server are you using? Maybe that is the slow end of your hyper speed. try a different server, maybe not as close. Mine always tests slower on WiFi than direct connect. And changing test servers can make a difference. Your not over your data limit are you? :smiley_crocodile:

No limit, not even a reduced one...   Trying multiple servers provides similar results. 
It has me bouncing off of the Raleigh server...   Lemme see about grabbing something and doing a real life test to see if it's maybe just the server :/  though it works fine on wifi...

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on February 22, 2022, 05:48:19 PM
And now I'm wondering what the most expensive computer mouse out there is.
ETA: Just looked it up and the most expensive computer mouse is 35K and is made in Ukraine.  :eek1:

It's that special gift for the arms dealer that has everything...

BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

NT2C

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on February 23, 2022, 02:55:11 PM

So what does that get you?  Besides needing to get out of the house more.      ???

Gets me a mouse that fits my hand pretty well, not perfect, it's still too small, but not that bad, and it gives me a programmable button that I depend upon.

Current Weather in My AO

EBuff75

Well, a mere three years after getting a new computer, I finally finished migrating all my data from the old one.  It had been sitting here in my office that entire time, I had just been putting it off.  When I originally bought the new one, I didn't have a USB drive which was large enough USB drive to move all the files in one go, so I just moved the ones that really mattered and then stopped. 

Yes, I tried to migrate the data over a network connection, but I gave up after many, many, MANY frustrating hours of failed effort. The NAS refused to work with the new computer (I've still never gotten it to connect properly, maybe because it's so old that WD has discontinued support for it).  I even consulted with our IT guys from work and two friends of mine who are programmers, but no luck.  Since then I'd picked up a 2TB Sandisk pocket drive, so I used that to finally copy the remaining files.

One more thing off of my list, as the old computer joins the rest in my computer "pastureland".  It's not really a graveyard, since they all still work the last I checked! 

I've had surprisingly good luck over the years, as my entire computer history since 1993 consists of five desktops and two laptops (inclusive of the two that I use right now).  The only one missing from the pile is the Compaq desktop that I gave to my aunt some 20 years ago when she retired and no longer had a work computer to use.  Just for giggles, I should pull out the old 386 to see if it still works, as I haven't tested that one in the last 6-8 years.   :icon_crazy:   Ah, memories!...

NapalmMan67

Need a new battery for the laptop PC.  Mfg. date of the old one is 2009.

Where's a reliable source to get a new one that will last?  When I did a search, I saw them range in price from like $23.00 up to $145.00 per for the same/equivalent type.  FWIW- It's an HP computer.

NT2C

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on April 13, 2022, 04:07:55 PM
Need a new battery for the laptop PC.  Mfg. date of the old one is 2009.

Where's a reliable source to get a new one that will last?  When I did a search, I saw them range in price from like $23.00 up to $145.00 per for the same/equivalent type.  FWIW- It's an HP computer.

Oddly, I've had good results buying through Staples in the past.

Current Weather in My AO

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk