Mental Exercise : What skills/services will make a comeback in SHTF?

Started by Lambykins, September 08, 2021, 10:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lambykins

So, the S has HTF.
What skills and/or services will make a comeback in a post SHTF society?
SHTF means no internet, no electricity from the grid, however those that use solar/wind/etc to self generate power will have it. Let's say it is 5 years post-SHTF.

In my small rural community, I expect several services to make a comeback.
Home delivery of dairy products
Knife maker/knife sharpener and/or blacksmith
Ice delivery (there are still some ice houses around up here)

Some skills up here have never completely gone away. People still make a living as loggers and trappers.

In some areas, I think green grocers, butchers and bakers will see a resurgence as a grid down situation will probably be the death of grocery stores.

What other services or skills do you think will become more common in a SHTF scenario?
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

majorhavoc

The corner repair shop used to be a fixture of the commercial landscape. Now the very idea of paying someone to repair a small household appliance, rather than throwing it away and simply buying a new one, has largely gone the way of the phone booth and the Dewey Decimal system.

In a post-SHTF world there will be little to no new manufacturing. A generalized mechanical aptitude and ability to fix small machinery will become a highly valued skill again.
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

MacWa77ace

Sewing and cooking come to mind first.
Darning.
Carpentry and metal working/fabrication.
Leather craft.

Prostitution or whoring, for the internet influencers who don't have any other skillz but internetting yet still want to eat. :smiley_devil:
Barbers and wound surgeons to treat the syphilis and gonorrhoea.

Sawmill skillz
Distilling
Curing/Smoking meats fish.
Canning
Wheel and barrel making.

Wagoneering for logistics to move the raw materials to the baker and grocer etc.

I'm thinking that if there are a lot of survivors in the first 5 years that all the game and trees will be gone in high population density areas. So maybe Piracy and highwayman skillz will be a thing too.
Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

woodsghost

Blast

Herbal medicine and austere medical doctor
Midwife
Veterinarian
Forager
Rat catcher
Net maker
Loom maker
Fortifications and military tactics
Public executioner
Spy/scout
Bodyguard/henchman

-Blast
My book*: Outdoor Adventures Guide - Foraging
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Zed hunter

Soap making
Candle making
Fire starting with 2 dry words
Other methods of fire starting
Tanning hides
Primitive hunting methods
Herbal medicine
All types of food preservation

Lettuce Pray

For those that have survived the initial few months (and I see many, many dieing after the bulk of the prescriptions and shelf stable food have been consumed) I think it is safe to say that most people will have evolved into jack-of-all-trades types. There will always be a need for manual labor especially if the mechanical advantage that much of our technology provides is missing.  I suspect that indentured servitude and share cropping may make a comeback. There will be large tracks of farmland that will need to be worked by someone and gas/diesel won't be available to power tractors.

Brekar

Working with horses and cattle the old school way. Any mechanical skills to fix/keep small machinery running, or create something out of multiple parts of other things to make something else workable would be worth its weight in gold...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk