Author Topic: daily COVID sitrep where you are  (Read 7724 times)

Offline Ever (Zombiepreparation)

• Reactions:
Re: daily COVID sitrep where you are
« Reply #180 on: December 29, 2021, 11:20:26 PM »
Wednesday December 29, 2021

Christmas gatherings now hitting the stats full swing.. and hospitals, both hospitalized patients and the hospital workers. And airline employees.

USA: viral blizzard
Kansas: viral blizzard

my county: also a viral blizzard
hospitalizations:
- 71% unvaccinated/unknown (what does unknown mean?)
- deaths up

Let's see then, our I don't give a frak about anything but what I want New Years Eve partying ought to just about finish off the health care system nicely.

hells bells
-- Nothing hurts like feeling you're safe, and then, having someone with power over you take it away.

All you can do is get it right yourself.
-Susan

• Reactions:
« Reply #181 on: January 01, 2022, 12:23:16 AM »
Saturday, January 1, 2022, 12:15am, USA
Day one of year three of the 2020 SARS‑CoV‑2 pandemic.
😷

😔

-- Nothing hurts like feeling you're safe, and then, having someone with power over you take it away.

-Susan

Offline Mr. E. Monkey

• Peeps fear me!
  • Mostly harmless
  • Reactions:
« Reply #182 on: January 03, 2022, 09:23:31 AM »
So...

I got a nasty sinus infection the week leading into Christmas, and it turns out it might have been Covid.  My sister-in-law came up to visit, along with her kids and her boyfriend, and he ended up getting sick after they got back home, went in, and he ended up testing positive.  It's possible he could have gotten it somewhere else along the way, but it sounds like his symptoms were similar to mine...

I did go to urgent care when I started getting sick, and they tested for strep, but since I didn't have a fever, I guess they didn't feel like they needed to test for Covid, but in hindsight, probably should have.

My wife has a checkup today, and since she has also gotten sick, she will ask to be tested.  Self-test kits have been in short supply around here lately.
Quote from: SMoAF
'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: Beowolf
Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bush
THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

Offline flybynight

• This asshole again
  • Hiding in plain sight. Level : MYTHICAL :
  • Reactions:
« Reply #183 on: January 05, 2022, 11:55:41 AM »
First case of “Flurona” confirmed in Kansas

https://www.wibw.com/2022/01/05/first-case-flurona-confirmed-kansas/

Offline Mr. E. Monkey

• Peeps fear me!
  • Mostly harmless
  • Reactions:

• Reactions:
« Reply #185 on: January 05, 2022, 11:28:10 PM »

-Susan

• Reactions:
« Reply #186 on: January 06, 2022, 12:35:15 AM »
Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2022
Kansas:
Record numbers of COVID-19 patients, and up to one-third of staff out sick, there is no bed space available. At least 80% of patients in each facility are unvaccinated, including nearly 100% of patients in intensive care.

Data from the software hospitals use to find available bed space, shows the number of patients who died while awaiting transfer increased from eight in November to 41 last month.

Chief Medical Officer of the University of Kansas Health System:
“This is our most difficult moment in the pandemic. We have an exploding number of COVID-19 patients, people aren’t using good infection control."

Recent conversation with the chief medical officer from a rural area who told him:
“We don’t do dialysis, but we can’t get anybody transferred out, and these patients are dying.” The doctor explained that he opened up a textbook, put in some catheters and tried to figure out how to do it.

Chief Medical Officer of the health system which serves the KC metro area:
The hospital had to defer 128 surgeries this week. The hospital is nearing the point of 'crisis standard of care' meaning doctors will start determining who gets care and who is left to die.

my county:
Deaths are slowly climbing.
Unvaccinated COVID patients overflow hospital. Unprecedented numbers of COVID-19 patients and staff members out sick with the virus.
County hospital physician:
"We’ve offered insane amounts of overtime. People won’t take it because they can’t; they just mentally or physically cannot anymore. And it is heartbreaking to look at that situation and think that we may have to deliver substandard care and just try to piece together care for patients. I don’t know what we’re going to do.”

An emergency public health requiring face coverings for those ages 2 and older inside public spaces in my county will go into effect Friday. But there are so many exemptions to the order accepted that my projection is those who don't now will simply continue as they were.

👵

-Susan

Offline Mr. E. Monkey

• Peeps fear me!
  • Mostly harmless
  • Reactions:
« Reply #187 on: January 06, 2022, 09:00:20 AM »
Oof.  That's terrible, Ever.

Currently, my home county is at 354 cases (356.19/100k), and 14.65% positive.  10 deaths, 18 new hospital admissions, and only 45.9% of age 5+ fully vaccinated, all per CDC reports.  Fortunately, they are showing our ICUs are only 29.35% used in the last 7 days, with a +3.21% change in the last 7 days.

https://protect-public.hhs.gov/pages/hospital-utilization is a pretty interesting site.  Gives numbers on overall bed availability (not just ICU) at hospitals within a certain area.

• Reactions:
« Reply #188 on: January 07, 2022, 02:05:24 AM »
Our building has the virus now. We have just gone on lockdown from outsiders. We had a door to door flyers (new move) about wearing the fracking masks, that the imuno compromised in the building were now isolating.

I began my bug-in a week ago because no one was paying attention to what was coming and mask use was at its lowest with tenants and their guests. Until it hit. Just like in March 2020. Have paid my rent through March, cash on hand, pretty dog gone well stocked. And n95s and other ppe for emergency needs outside of apartment.

I gestimate 🤔 all of January, and as SuperBowl gatherings are in mid February to stir up any waning for another 4-6 weeks that closes down March too.

If nothing new comes down the variant pike April is looking pretty good from this vantage.

-Susan

Offline Mr. E. Monkey

• Peeps fear me!
  • Mostly harmless
  • Reactions:
« Reply #189 on: January 07, 2022, 09:05:00 AM »
I began my bug-in a week ago because no one was paying attention to what was coming and mask use was at its lowest with tenants and their guests. Until it hit. Just like in March 2020.

It's that selfish short-sightedness that is such a problem--"it's not a problem until it directly affects me, personally."  Not just with covid, but in general, it seems anymore.   :-\

Stay safe!

• Reactions:
« Reply #190 on: January 07, 2022, 06:23:49 PM »
Thank, Mr. E. You too. 👵

Friday January 7, 2022
Kansas: not even gonna look. It will be bigger than my county and.....

my county: fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge
"This is the big one, Elizabeth."
- New daily 'known' case numbers are now redonkulous. Then I extrapolate to account for the unknown cases using a reasonably safe factor of 10 which = 😳
- In-patients have doubled

They've been prepared for this with the repurposed & re-designated inhospitable covid unit.

The glitch is keeping enough direct contact medical personnel, the staff that does the absolutely necessary grunt work to keep the place hospital-clean, plus the staff that feeds the whole kit and caboodle.  Then there's the lab workers. They may stand a better chance against infection and continue working if they keep their labs/offices force-field-ed.

Urban living. Zombies or world taking down virus, urban does not rock.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 11:50:07 PM by Ever (Zombiepreparation) »

-Susan

Offline sheddi

• Global Moderator
  • It’s such a fine line between stupid and clever.
  • Reactions:
Re: COVID sitrep where you are
« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2022, 02:33:21 AM »
Happy New Year to this thread!

The situation in the UK, as of Monday January 10, 2022.

Family:
We continue to be COVID-free. Kids have returned to school, I'm back in work (but working from home two days a week), Mrs Sheddi continues to work from home as normal.

Local area:
Omicron is doing its thing.
The local case rate is 1730 cases per 100k people, up 31% from a week ago. This is the highest it's ever been, to my knowledge.
87% (+1%) of eligible 12+ in my area have had one dose of vaccine and 81% (+1%) have had two doses. 61% (+7%) have had a third or booster dose.

National:
The national case rate is now 1980 per 100k, up 7% on the week; very nearly 2% of the UK population have tested positive in the past 7 days. This is roughly 3x the peak number seen in the winter of 2020/21.

There have been 15,800 hospital patients admitted in the past week (up 58%) and 1295 COVID-related deaths (up 31%).

The hospitalisation numbers are getting very high and several regional health authorities have reported "critical incidents" due to the combination of rising patient numbers and staff illness:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jan/06/nhs-trusts-england-critical-incidents-covid-pressures-omicron

Vaccination numbers have nudged over 90% of 12+ with at least one dose, 83% with two and 62% with a third booster.

Offline airballrad

• Global Moderator
  • Still not quite ready enough
  • Reactions:
« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2022, 07:32:06 AM »
Checking in from sunny Florida.

Local hospital reports their daily positivity rate for tests yesterday was 28.1%. I saw estimates yesterday that 80% of Floridians will be infected by the Omicron variant before the end of January.

Wife and I are fully vaccinated and boosted. Our two teens got their newly-approved booster shots this past Saturday. The youngest (11) got her second shot the end of November. All Pfizer.

So our metaphorical hatches are battened down; now we just need to see which kid brings it home from school since they are eating together at lunch. At least their schools are currently requiring masks; the public schools here are not.

• Reactions:
« Reply #193 on: January 11, 2022, 02:51:47 AM »
Monday January 10, 2022

kansas population 2,934,582±
Kansas Department of Health and Environment reported 13,557 new coronavirus cases since the last reporting period on Friday. It is down from Friday’s highest peak since the start of the pandemic which was 16,341 cases.

my county: population 118,785±
14 day average:
- reported active cases  3,323 (then extrapolate with a factor of 10 to cover unreported cases = 30,000± )
- average new reported cases  214.64
- three day increase of reported cases 310 (X a factor of 10 for the unreported)
- hospitalizations are holding on the high end... but holding
- deaths still rising with may be sadly keeping hospitalization count holding
- incident rate per 100,000 @ 2,498.13 (X a factor of 10 to cover unreported cases = 25,000± )
- average positivety rate among those tested 19.3%

"After adding nearly 1,600 new COVID-19 cases to the tally last week alone — the highest-recorded amount in Douglas County since the start of the pandemic my County Public Health data showed a slight tapering off Monday afternoon with just 310 new cases recorded since Friday."

Which may be indicative, or just slow reporting. Too soon yet to tell. I guestamate around 20% of my county is currently infected.

I'm told the usual suspects that didn't use contagion cautions in this building... still don't. Yup, that was my projection.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 03:24:06 AM by Ever (Zombiepreparation) »

-Susan

• Reactions:
« Reply #194 on: January 14, 2022, 09:05:47 PM »
Friday January 14, 2022
Kansas: Up to our necks in it with a guesstimate of at least four or more weeks before it begins to peak here.

It's getting hairy.

When my county's active transition into this surge, Dec. 22nd, stat gatherers were reporting the 14 day average of reported cases at 47. Today, three weeks later, it's 276.86.

The reported active cases were 908, today it's 4,867. Reported average daily new cases were 100+. Today we're at 400+.

Hospitalizations have doubled and deaths are climbing faster.

The reported incidence rate per 100,000 was 547.01, today it's 3,222.21.

Times a factor of 10 to include unreported suggests close to 35,000 in my county of 118,785± are carrying the virus.

My building notified us only emergency orders will now be addressed, and only by appointment. I have gone to my back-up lighting, LED lights and lamps with bulbs, for which I prepped back-up lights & bulbs to belay burnout of overhead apartment lighting and the need to have maintenance in.

"Nursing homes are facing COVID-19 outbreaks, schools are closing and hospitals in the Kansas City area are seeing so many deaths that they are raising alarms about morgue capacity."

I ordered more n95s from Grainger's today. Because of heavy ordering my order may be shipped in smaller quantities, none of which is estimated to begin arriving before late January to early February. These are back-ups for me so I am not in need for this surge. And after Omicron they may not even be needed until next flu season anyway, but I'm thinking ahead just in case another variant comes down the pike.

-Susan

• Reactions:
« Reply #195 on: January 19, 2022, 05:28:46 PM »
Wednesday January19, 2022
(compared to this last month on January 14
and December 22)
Kansas: Hospitals begging us to help them by using contagion measures. Makes not one difference though; those who have alway done so continue to. And those who never did, will continue to never do so, compounding our health care system wipe out.

14 day rolling averages:
Reported average daily case count:
- today, January 19, 2022.. @ 339.57
-- January 14.. @ 276.86
-- December 22nd.. @ 47

Reported active cases:
- today, January 19th..@ 5,810
-- Jan 14th.. @ 4,867
-- Dec 22.. @ 908

Reported cases per 100,000
- today, January 19th.. @ 3,952.13
-- Jan. 14th.. @ 3,222.21
-- Dec. 22nd.. @ 547.01

Times a factor of 10 to include unreported suggests close to 40,000 in my county of 118,785 are carrying the virus.

- deaths still climbing
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 09:25:13 PM by Ever (Zombiepreparation) »

-Susan

Offline Lambykins

• Official Forum Goat Wrangler
  • Possums always survive.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #196 on: January 19, 2022, 06:09:05 PM »
Numbers here are surging with the new variant.
Jan. 5th to 18th; 793 cases, the 18th was the big day with 385 new cases reported. Our total cases throughout this has been 5,518 total and 87 deaths.
Three more cases today....my friend Kayla, her 9 yr old son and her 18 month old daughter. Kayla says it's like a bad cold. No loss of taste or smell.

One of the deaths reported was of an old farmer named Robert. One of the first people I met when I moved here. He turned 80 last July...and there still wasn't a single man of any age that would have wanted to go hand to hand with him even at his age! Tough old bird.
Here's the thing: they reported his death as caused by Covid...however, what happened was he had had a colonoscopy done about a week prior. They ruptured his intestines in two places during the procedure. This was not discovered until his autopsy. Also, he was declared "covid free" 3 days before his death. He had had Covid about a month before and recovered from it. His daughter that told me this is furious they have reported him as a covid death.
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

• Reactions:
« Reply #197 on: January 19, 2022, 09:15:32 PM »
Three more cases today....my friend Kayla, her 9 yr old son and her 18 month old daughter. Kayla says it's like a bad cold. No loss of taste or smell.
Good to hear. That's what I'm hoping is the worst for me if I get it! Good timing for me too because just yesterday I met someone with a crumby immune system like mine who got confirmed Delta in December, recovered, then days later got confirmed Omicron. His experience with Delta was like a bad flu and with Omicron like the worst flu ever that fell short of the need for hospitalization.

That I do 'not' want. 👵

deltaflumicron

One of the deaths reported was of an old farmer named Robert. One of the first people I met when I moved here. He turned 80 last July...and there still wasn't a single man of any age that would have wanted to go hand to hand with him even at his age! Tough old bird.
Here's the thing: they reported his death as caused by Covid...however, what happened was he had had a colonoscopy done about a week prior. They ruptured his intestines in two places during the procedure. This was not discovered until his autopsy. Also, he was declared "covid free" 3 days before his death. He had had Covid about a month before and recovered from it. His daughter that told me this is furious they have reported him as a covid death.
I'm with his daughter. The med professional who did the damaged colonoscopy might skirt responsibility by hiding behind the cloak of covid. Do hope for her that she has a type of comfort/satisfaction in shining the giant spotlight on this that can't be ignored.

Not related, but her case reminded me that I've found we here have had some misreported death causes that were eventually removed from our covid stats because in autopsy it was proven that though they died while having covid they did not die 'from' covid. I try to keep track of the case removal numbers... and why.

-Susan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk