When I was young. Or when Moab was in the movies.

Started by Moab, July 20, 2021, 08:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moab

I have never shared this with my ZS friends. But...

When I was young i acted in theater and film. Although my imdb only lists 2 of the dozen or so movies and tv shows i was on. Multiple times on Northern Exposure. Mad Love. And i worked with Bertolucci of Last Tango in Paris fame. And The Hand That Rocks The Cradle...man i was young! Lmao.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C

IMDB makes it really hard to correct errors and add missing stuff. My page only lists one credit but I've been in a couple more. Looks like you did well back then. Nice!

:smiley_clap:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

RonnyRonin

Thanks for sharing! Its always fun to see what ZSers do/did in the real world.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

12_Gauge_Chimp

Neat.

Now whenever I watch "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle", I can say "Hey, I know that guy. He's Moab on UFoZS."  :smiley_clap:

woodsghost

That is great! Obviously I had no idea. That is really interesting and thanks for sharing.

lurkedthere

I've only made one film but it was with Sean Connery and Harrison Ford.

OK, I was an extra.
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and I was a Nazi storm trooper in the book burning scene where Hitler appeared.
Hilarious, they had recruited off duty soldiers from the Royal Marines and The Parachute Regiment but needed more. Somehow a dozen of us got involved. Our job was medical research!
It was filmed at a Victorian school, we were measured up and fitted with uniforms, myself and colleagues were given severe haircuts (including 10 yo beards).
Then came the marching practice. We were with some of the best trained soldiers in the world and we looked like a shambles. Then we were told to goose-step. We got the static parts!
At the end all of us extras were gathered in a courtyard surrounded by a 12 foot wall and were paid as we left.
The film company didn't realise that a 12 foot wall was a minor inconvenience to the soldiers who were going round the corner, hopping over the wall and getting paid again.
The film company only twigged it when they ran out of cash.

Lambykins

No IMDB listing for me.
But when I lived in Cali., I was in a lot of crowd scenes for movies and t.v. shows. Pay was crap, but experience was fun.
I've been on a couple of....questionable talk shows. (Geraldo Rivera when he had one and the Gordon Elliot show when he had one). Got invited to Jerry Springer, but turned it down.
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

Moab

Quote from: NT2C on July 20, 2021, 08:44:36 AM
IMDB makes it really hard to correct errors and add missing stuff. My page only lists one credit but I've been in a couple more. Looks like you did well back then. Nice!

I used to keep mine up to date. Used to include my headshot.

I cofounded two nationally renowned theater companies too. And did alot of theater in Seattle and Los Angeles. But all of my speaking roles in film and tv were in Seattle's heyday of film making. I was also in a larger role of a Simon & Simon movie of the week. That was fun. Got to drive a boat. Gerald Mcraney was a really cool guy. Spent alot of time with him. A real hunter and fisherman. That had always wanted to be a Marine like myself. But had gotten busted growing pot on the front lawn of his local court house.

I still live in LA. Unfortunately. My wife worked for one of the top 3 talent agencies here.

Then my PI Firm took off. And i never looked back. But i lived off of acting for about 10 years.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

12_Gauge_Chimp

Had I been a little older, I could've been an extra in a Toby Keith movie around 2005 or so.

The production company for the movie (I forget the name at the moment) was looking for folks around Beaumont Texas to be extras in a scene they were filming in the area. I happened to live in Bridge City at that point and figured I'd go see if I could get hired on.

I was all set to go try and get picked, but then the production company posted more info on the website and I found out I wasn't qualified.

They were filming in a bar in Beaumont and because of that, any potential extras needed to be 21 because of the alcohol laws.

Even if I had been old enough, I probably wouldn't have been picked anyway. There was already about 100 folks in line waiting to be chosen for the scene, so I'm sure the production people would've found the best people for the background shots among them.

Still, it's kind of fun to think of what may have been.

flybynight

I might have been background  in a movie or TV show. Driving around L.A. always saw  stuff being filmed, Knightrider, CHIPs.  Stuff like that.  But more than likely if I had been filmed specifically  it would have been if someone filmed me while out hunting in the Angeles Mountains

https://youtu.be/47pWtO1PccM
o

Too be honest the actual closest to movie fame would be that my wife , two older kids and myself all attended Torrance High School
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

Moab

Quote from: NT2C on July 20, 2021, 08:44:36 AMIMDB makes it really hard to correct errors and add missing stuff. My page only lists one credit but I've been in a couple more. Looks like you did well back then. Nice!

I don't know how I missed this! What were you in? How was your career? 

NT2C

Quote from: Moab on February 16, 2023, 07:51:23 PM
Quote from: NT2C on July 20, 2021, 08:44:36 AMIMDB makes it really hard to correct errors and add missing stuff. My page only lists one credit but I've been in a couple more. Looks like you did well back then. Nice!

I'm one of the old farts featured in the BBS Documentary, and I was an uncredited extra in Godfather II and Night Hawks.  Godfather II I played, of all things, an Immigration Officer (which is my current wife's real-life job), and in Night Hawks my then brother-in-law and I were coming home from work and were asked to be in the crowd scenes in the subway station.

Current Weather in My AO

Moab

Quote from: NT2C on February 16, 2023, 09:16:34 PM

I'm one of the old farts featured in the BBS Documentary, and I was an uncredited extra in Godfather II and Night Hawks.  Godfather II I played, of all things, an Immigration Officer (which is my current wife's real-life job), and in Night Hawks my then brother-in-law and I were coming home from work and were asked to be in the crowd scenes in the subway station.
I saw a sentence that said see the bbs doc for free. But couldn't get to work. Do you have a link or is it on yt? Fascinating. 

NT2C

Quote from: Moab on February 16, 2023, 10:13:17 PM

I saw a sentence that said see the bbs doc for free. But couldn't get to work. Do you have a link or is it on yt? Fascinating.
Here's a YouTube link to most of it.  I can provide links to DVD image files for the three DVDs it came on if you want to burn your own copy.  (it's free)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7nj3G6Jpv2G6Gp6NvN1kUtQuW8QshBWE

Current Weather in My AO

Moab

Quote from: NT2C on February 16, 2023, 11:56:48 PM
Quote from: Moab on February 16, 2023, 10:13:17 PM

Here's a YouTube link to most of it.  I can provide links to DVD image files for the three DVDs it came on if you want to burn your own copy.  (it's free)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7nj3G6Jpv2G6Gp6NvN1kUtQuW8QshBWE
Which one are you? 

NT2C

Oh, and the DVD downloads are 27 Gigabytes total, so you'll need a few days to download them.

Funny story, my current wife and I were having our first date where I stayed overnight at her place in DC when the producer called me to say he was going to be in Baltimore (where I lived at the time) for a 17-hour layover and did I have a place we could film at?  So I had to cut short my date with the excuse, "Sorry hon. but this producer who wants me in his movie is in town and I have to go meet him for an on-camera interview."  I won't say she was skeptical about it but she did insist on driving me to the interview and meeting the producer.  :D

Fast forward a few months (the interview was in February) to Thanksgiving and things are going well but now it was time to introduce me to her friends.  Every year they have this big Thanksgiving feast at the house of my wife's old college roommate.  All of these friends have jobs in the tech industries, several being programmers and developers.  How my wife fit into that crowd still baffles me.  The woman is a total Luddite who still can't be convinced to give up her VCR. Anyway, all she'd told them was that I worked in construction, so they were all wondering how to get along with the expected Neanderthal.  When we walked in they were all in the living room chatting.  The entranceway is elevated a few steps above the living room so I'm kind of looking down on everyone as I'm introduced.  They all politely acknowledged me with a hello and went back to chatting with Joe (husband of the roommate and owner of a software company) turning to Bard (programmer for a major telecom back then, senior programmer for AAA now) and saying, "Hey!  Did you hear they're making a BBS Documentary?  It's gonna be so cool!"  "Oh yes!  I can't wait to see it!", says Bard.  At which point my wife just lost it and cracked up.  They all looked at her and asked what was so funny about what was sure to be a great documentary.  She just pointed at me, caught her breath for a second, and said, "You tell them."

"I'm in it."

It was like a Tech God had appeared to walk amongst them.  Instant acceptance by the entire group.  :awesome:

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C

Quote from: Moab on February 17, 2023, 12:05:11 AMWhich one are you?
http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/photos/143bw/index.html

(For the record, when I started that job it was an empty space with holes in the floor and no electricity or running water.  Everything you see I did with one part-time helper/driver.)

Current Weather in My AO

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk