Rage Against The Eclipse

Started by Lambykins, March 29, 2024, 10:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lambykins

Quote from: flybynight on April 07, 2024, 07:18:27 PM
Quote from: Z.O.R.G. on April 07, 2024, 05:14:03 PM
Quote from: TACAIR on April 07, 2024, 04:51:06 PMEveryone make it out alive?

Ask again in 24-36 hrs.  So far it hasn't been too crazy here.  Stores have been busy, but I've stayed home. 

I'm sure Lambykins will have stories...
Probably not as eventful as those who will be visiting Lambytown. Their stories will be handed down for generations.  " Grandma, tell us the story again of the candle throwing Viking woman  the day the sun went dark. "
Change the candle to cans of green beans (on sale!) and you might have something there....today was....hell, I'll file an incident report, ugh, after action report....uhmmm.....I'll be back after this shitstorm is over.... :rolleyes1:

Admin edit: It'll be in her memoirs
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

Z.O.R.G.

We're expecting far more people than Labykins, but far less interesting stories!  (Unless people get really, really stupid.)

NT2C

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

12_Gauge_Chimp

Well, we've got totality here in Texas and so far there's been zero reports of idiocy other than what usually happens in my town.

Anianna

I would like to state officially that the telescope in Mesquite, TX is superior to any of the others.  Most of them are just showing a halo, but the one in Mesquite was good enough to see the dancing of the corona. 
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

∩(=^_^=)

MacWa77ace

Looks like were getting about 3/4 here in SE FLORIDA.

Got a decent pic of a sundog of the eclipse. And then we get these weird crescents under palm trees.
Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel
#TRowPriceSucks
Ask me about my Fully Semi-Automatic 30-Mag clip death gun .

Z.O.R.G.

Cloud watching with sudden unexplained darkness complete in WNY.  I only took my eclipse glasses out of the wrapper for a pre-eclipse photo with the neighbors.  Totally overcast and you couldn't see the sun before the eclipse.  

People here didn't get too stupid, a few accidents, some fights, some bushes set on fire with fireworks - almost a typical day.  Most exciting report was for a "naked woman in a field."  No terrorist attacks, alien invasions, zombie outbreaks, rabid goose attacks or anything else nefarious.  

NT2C

Still no report from Lamby.  Might be time to pass the hat for her bail.   :panic:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

majorhavoc

At the risk of annoying the cynics, we had spectularly clear, cloudless skies.  Wow.  Seeing it partial through eclipse glasses is NOTHING like taking them off during totality and looking right at it with your naked eyes.  A freaking gigantic hole in the heavens, surrounded by flame.  Think Eye of Sauron.  Awe-inspiring yet vaguely unsettling at the same time.  The sky suddenly full of stars, with Venus being particularly bright.  And a full, 360 deg sunset all around us, as if the sun had just settled below the horizon, everywhere and all at once.   I'm still a little drunk from the experience.
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

Lambykins

Quote from: majorhavoc on April 08, 2024, 08:34:23 PMAt the risk of annoying the cynics, we had spectacularly clear, cloudless skies.  Wow.  Seeing it partial through eclipse glasses is NOTHING like taking them off during totality and looking right at it with your naked eyes.  A freaking gigantic hole in the heavens, surrounded by flame.  Think Eye of Sauron.  Awe-inspiring yet vaguely unsettling at the same time.  The sky suddenly full of stars, with Venus being particularly bright.  And a full, 360 deg sunset all around us, as if the sun had just settled below the horizon, everywhere and all at once.   I'm still a little drunk from the experience.
It was magnificent. Incredible. When I took off my eclipse glasses and viewed the totality...I got chills. The hair stood up on my neck and arms.
I'll write more on Wednesday night. Tonight I'm tired. No bail required.
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

12_Gauge_Chimp

It just looked like someone turned a dimmer switch on the sun and it got dim here.

EBuff75

Agree with the above about seeing the totality.  Even my dad, who was skeptical that it was worth all the fuss, said afterwards that it was really impressive and that he was glad that we'd gotten the chance to see it. 

The most surprising bit for us was how little you really noticed the reduced light, until the very last moment.  Even when just about 10% was showing, it looked almost normal.  But the shift at the last moment is really fast, like someone is rapidly turning down the dimmer switch on a light.  We did notice the temperature drop (it went down about 7F) and the birds all went quiet as it got to the full eclipse.  And then after a couple of minutes, the dimmer switch goes the other way and it's suddenly brightening back up. 

Almost every house around my parents' place had people out watching it and there were probably 40-50 people at the playground across the street.  No craziness, just lots of families and people sitting out in their yards and driveways to watch it. 

Traffic in the area wasn't a problem - until I tried to get back home that evening.  I don't know what the final count was, but a LOT of people from Michigan headed down into Ohio for the eclipse.  I gave things several hours to clear out and then left to drive home around 6:30 last night.  Google claimed that the drive was only a few minutes longer than normal, but that turned out to be wildly inaccurate! 

The drive is usually right around 3hrs.  If I'd continued to follow Google's directions, it probably would've been around 6hrs...  Fortunately, mid-way through the enormous jam, I gave up on Google and pulled out of the huge line of cars (many miles long, going through a bunch of surface roads to try and cut off a section of the highway route that was jammed up) to take a different route.  The drive home still took about 4.5 hrs, but once I did that, traffic lightened up significantly.  The route that I picked went around even more of the snarl on the highways so that when I finally re-entered the highway, it was moving at normal speed. 

While I wasn't familiar with the area that I was in (it's a fairly rural area about 60 miles south of me), knowing a few of the major roads in the area let me escape the mess!  One of the drawbacks of something like Google is that it can end up creating it's own jams, when it recommends a specific route to thousands of people!  Yes, there might be something even worse that it's trying to route you around, but by striking out on your own, you can avoid the worst of it!

And because it's a thread about the eclipse, here's a picture at totality, with Venus on the right side and a very faint Jupiter off to the left:
You cannot view this attachment.
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Anianna

And already seeing anecdotal reports of potential UV eye burns around social media.  It's boggling how many people think they should consult randos online rather than a doctor of some sort for their clearly medical malady. 

Fortunately for a lot of these people, if it's just a burn, it will heal with just an increase in risk for further eye ailments like certain cancers.  Some of these people will experience permanent injury. 

∩(=^_^=)

Rednex

We had a little viewing at work, one guy had the eclipse glasses and we had a few welding helmets ( darkness 12 ).
Saw a crescent shaped sun.Cool then back to work. No issues i know of  with the dead rising, oceans flooding, riots or any of that stuff.

flybynight

Quote from: Rednex on April 09, 2024, 06:50:42 PMWe had a little viewing at work, one guy had the eclipse glasses and we had a few welding helmets ( darkness 12 ).
Saw a crescent shaped sun.Cool then back to work. No issues i know of  with the dead rising, oceans flooding, riots or any of that stuff.
Well it was dark. You might not have been able to see it.
  We had little over 3/4 covered. To be honest I thought it would get darker than it did. One of pics my son took.IMG_20240408_143051 (1).jpg

"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

Anianna

Quote from: Rednex on April 09, 2024, 06:50:42 PMWe had a little viewing at work, one guy had the eclipse glasses and we had a few welding helmets ( darkness 12 ).
My youngest son came over after work complaining that his boss kept making him stop working to come look at the eclipse (he gave him viewing glasses to look through).  He was completely disinterested and just wanted to get the planting done.  He is a strange child. 

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Don't throw your eclipse glasses away, donate them to kids in Latin America for kids to enjoy the eclipse in August:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ZeroWaste/comments/1bzt838/reuse_your_eclipse_glasses/

∩(=^_^=)

majorhavoc

Earlier in this thread I jokingly mentioned blithering morons confused gentlepeople who think the recent eclipse would usher in the Rapture.

One of my persistent blind spots is I keep thinking the general public is smarter than they really are.
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

MacWa77ace

Quote from: majorhavoc on April 12, 2024, 09:13:24 AMOne of my persistent blind spots

Is that from looking at the sun to see the eclipse?  :greenguy:

#TRowPriceSucks

MacWa77ace

confused gentle people returning from viewing the eclipse

#TRowPriceSucks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk