Rage Against The Eclipse

Started by Lambykins, March 29, 2024, 10:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z.O.R.G.

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on April 04, 2024, 04:19:22 PM
Quote from: NT2C on April 04, 2024, 04:13:48 PM
Quote from: Z.O.R.G. on April 04, 2024, 03:42:59 PM
Quote from: Lambykins on April 04, 2024, 03:37:22 PMMake a lot of popcorn. Gonna be a lot of idiots..

We're preppers, I've ALOT of popcorn!    :smiley_bignews:
Put out extra chairs and charge admission.  Include a free bag of popcorn with every seat.  Charge $5.00 for bottled water (no outside beverages allowed)

Charge 6 bucks if they want it cold.

LMAO!!!!

NT2C

Quote from: Z.O.R.G. on April 04, 2024, 04:25:54 PM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on April 04, 2024, 04:19:22 PM
Quote from: NT2C on April 04, 2024, 04:13:48 PM
Quote from: Z.O.R.G. on April 04, 2024, 03:42:59 PM
Quote from: Lambykins on April 04, 2024, 03:37:22 PMMake a lot of popcorn. Gonna be a lot of idiots..

We're preppers, I've ALOT of popcorn!    :smiley_bignews:
Put out extra chairs and charge admission.  Include a free bag of popcorn with every seat.  Charge $5.00 for bottled water (no outside beverages allowed)

Charge 6 bucks if they want it cold.

LMAO!!!!
(* 8 oz. size)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

Lambykins

Interesting update...
They viewed the video from yesterday and saw NOTHING suspicious. No vehicle impact, no vandalism, nada.
So, nothing from the past 24 hours.
We did have high wind gusts yesterday and the day before. So, there's that.
And they are going to review the video from Tuesday as well.
The investigation into the broken EV charger continues...
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

Z.O.R.G.

Quote from: Lambykins on April 04, 2024, 05:19:10 PMThe investigation into the broken EV charger continues...

Aliens?  :greenguy:

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: Z.O.R.G. on April 04, 2024, 05:39:08 PM
Quote from: Lambykins on April 04, 2024, 05:19:10 PMThe investigation into the broken EV charger continues...

I was thinking more along the lines of a pissed off Sasquatch.

Think about it, dude's going to have a whole bunch of morons traipsing about his woods in the lead up to the eclipse.

And we all know how douchebaggy some folks can be and leave a bunch of trash behind for others to deal with. Wouldn't surprise me if some out-of-towner dumps trash in the woods and ends up coming face to stomach with Bigfoot himself.

Anianna

The latest among certain corners of the nuttery is that it's a government conspiracy that we're being told not to look directly at the sun without proper protective eye wear.  The primary argument seems to be along the lines of "The sun is healing, not damaging" and "They're just worried the truth will be revealed and we'll be able to see the edges of the firmament."  I wonder if anybody will be tracking incidents of event-related vision damage. 

In related news, if you didn't manage to get properly rated glasses for the event, NASA did put out data comparing welding masks and have indicated that welding masks rated 12 or better can be worn to view the eclipse.  Sunglasses and lesser-rated protective eye wear will not sufficiently protect from UV damage, which is essentially getting a sunburn in your eye, which can cause permanent damage.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

∩(=^_^=)

flybynight

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on April 04, 2024, 06:01:21 PM
Quote from: Z.O.R.G. on April 04, 2024, 05:39:08 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of a pissed off Sasquatch.

Think about it, dude's going to have a whole bunch of morons traipsing about his woods in the lead up to the eclipse.

And we all know how douchebaggy some folks can be and leave a bunch of trash behind for others to deal with. Wouldn't surprise me if some out-of-towner dumps trash in the woods and ends up coming face to stomach with Bigfoot himself.
Electroplasma eclipse monster 
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

Lambykins

Quote from: Anianna on April 04, 2024, 06:01:54 PMThe latest among certain corners of the nuttery is that it's a government conspiracy that we're being told not to look directly at the sun without proper protective eye wear.  The primary argument seems to be along the lines of "The sun is healing, not damaging" and "They're just worried the truth will be revealed and we'll be able to see the edges of the firmament."  I wonder if anybody will be tracking incidents of event-related vision damage. 

Remember all those idiots that thought *sunning* their taint and butthole was "healing" and would increase their lifespan?
Betcha they are all gonna be out for the eclipse! Bottoms up!
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

flybynight

Quote from: Lambykins on April 04, 2024, 06:48:40 PM
Quote from: Anianna on April 04, 2024, 06:01:54 PMThe latest among certain corners of the nuttery is that it's a government conspiracy that we're being told not to look directly at the sun without proper protective eye wear.  The primary argument seems to be along the lines of "The sun is healing, not damaging" and "They're just worried the truth will be revealed and we'll be able to see the edges of the firmament."  I wonder if anybody will be tracking incidents of event-related vision damage. 

Remember all those idiots that thought *sunning* their taint and butthole was "healing" and would increase their lifespan?
So you're are saying it will be a new moon eclipse ?

Anianna

I stay out of those corners, but I'm pretty sure this is still a thing.

∩(=^_^=)

majorhavoc

Quote from: flybynight on April 04, 2024, 06:57:47 PM

So you're are saying it will be a new moon eclipse ?

A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

12_Gauge_Chimp

I can't even begin to imagine how badly a sunburn on your butthole would hurt. :gonk:

NT2C

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on April 04, 2024, 07:42:09 PM

I can't even begin to imagine how badly a sunburn on your butthole would hurt. :gonk:
I've had chili that was worse.  What really hurts is getting one on the other side.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

EBuff75

I picked up some glasses for the eclipse and tested them the best way I know how - with one of my flashlights!  If I can barely see one of those through the lens, it should be strong enough for the sun!  :shades:
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Anianna

Quote from: EBuff75 on April 04, 2024, 09:55:21 PMI picked up some glasses for the eclipse and tested them the best way I know how - with one of my flashlights!  If I can barely see one of those through the lens, it should be strong enough for the sun!  :shades:
Maybe.  This issue is more the UV spectrum than the visible spectrum.  If you got them from one of the trusted sources and the rating is listed on them, they're good.  Problem is that the rating can be listed on counterfeits and the counterfeits can appear pretty dark.  Trusted sources carry ones that are specifically tested and rated. 

Sadly, there are going to be some people who think they are protected who are going to be staring at the big ball of fire in the sky and taking UV damage because some shady jerks wanted a few bucks.

∩(=^_^=)

EBuff75

Quote from: Anianna on April 04, 2024, 10:45:53 PM
Quote from: EBuff75 on April 04, 2024, 09:55:21 PMI picked up some glasses for the eclipse and tested them the best way I know how - with one of my flashlights!  If I can barely see one of those through the lens, it should be strong enough for the sun!  :shades:
Maybe.  This issue is more the UV spectrum than the visible spectrum.  If you got them from one of the trusted sources and the rating is listed on them, they're good.  Problem is that the rating can be listed on counterfeits and the counterfeits can appear pretty dark.  Trusted sources carry ones that are specifically tested and rated. 

Sadly, there are going to be some people who think they are protected who are going to be staring at the big ball of fire in the sky and taking UV damage because some shady jerks wanted a few bucks.

Before I even ordered them, I checked to make sure that they were on the approved list, and once they arrived, I confirmed that they do have the rating info printed on them as well.  However, I'd also read a recommendation to test them by holding the glasses up to a light bulb to confirm that they're blocking almost all of the light.  That's where I decided that an extremely bright flashlight (brighter than the bulb, and has all of the light directed in one way rather than 360-degrees) would be an even better final test. 

But to your point about UV - I can test that too!

How?  By using my UV flashlight (duh, of course I have one of those!) to see if I can get things to fluoresce through the glasses!  An easy target is anything with an LED in it, as the chips have phosphor material on the emitter which responds to UV light.  Went down in the basement, where I have those newly-installed LED lights in my shop, held the glasses over the flashlight and turned it on.  Nothing.  Take the glasses away and all of the LEDs glowed bright orange.  Seems like they're good to go!
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

wee drop o bush

Lamykins it sounds like it's going to be an eventful few days. I hope most people in the path of the totality will remain rational, and if they can't that they'll be stuck in the mud somewhere far away from you all :clownshoes:
Sadly with all the rotten weather here I doubt the partial eclipse will be noticeable. We've got Storm Kathleen due to arrive tomorrow but that'll just be yet more horizontal rain ☔️
2020 Bingo was interesting.
Quote from: flybynightThat's pretty hardcore. Marry a guy, just so he buys you a gun.

TACAIR

Everyone make it out alive?

I'd much rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist....

My fiction work is found here:
https://www.amazon.com/D-K-Richardson/e/B005JT4QP2/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Z.O.R.G.

Quote from: TACAIR on April 07, 2024, 04:51:06 PMEveryone make it out alive?

Ask again in 24-36 hrs.  So far it hasn't been too crazy here.  Stores have been busy, but I've stayed home.  

I'm sure Lambykins will have stories...

flybynight

Quote from: Z.O.R.G. on April 07, 2024, 05:14:03 PM
Quote from: TACAIR on April 07, 2024, 04:51:06 PMEveryone make it out alive?

Ask again in 24-36 hrs.  So far it hasn't been too crazy here.  Stores have been busy, but I've stayed home. 

I'm sure Lambykins will have stories...
Probably not as eventful as those who will be visiting Lambytown. Their stories will be handed down for generations.  " Grandma, tell us the story again of the candle throwing Viking woman  the day the sun went dark. "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk