Knife reviews! Lmao!

Started by Moab, March 04, 2024, 07:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Moab

https://sogknives.com/field-knife/#content_components

I was looking at knife reviews on SOG. Specifically the basic Seal Pup. It's only $35 on Amazon. I really appreciate the rubber handle for combat, hunting and fishing. Once you get blood and gut slime on your hands a rubber handle has no equal.

(Not saying it's the best knife in the world. It's not. But for $35 it has alot if value. It's also full tang with ridges - protruding from the butt end.)

But I read knife reviews like this all the time:

1) People complain about sharpness out of the box.

2) People complain about the free nylon sheath. It only comes with a metal belt clip. But has holes for techloks.

Most all of the reviews are positive. With the exception of a few idiots...

First, none of these idiots has ever sharpened a knife. Or even understands that a knifes edge needs to be regularly sharpened. IMHO if you don't know how to sharpen a knife you shouldn't own one! The importance of a knife being sharp out of the box is a non issue. Now if it has defects ir is hard to sharpen. That is certainly a concern. But these idiots act like if it's not sharp they "will never be able to cut anything with this " defective" knife".

Second, it's a $35 knife! The nylon sheath is well appointed. Has holes for techloks. And basically a free giveaway at this price point. But if it won't stay on your belt or pack. PUT A TECHLOK ON IT! Jesus Christ! Lmao!!!
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

12_Gauge_Chimp

I'm convinced some of these reviewers are complete morons who probably shouldn't have a knife in the first place.

EBuff75

I've carried either an SOG Flash I or SOG Mini Aegis now for about the last 15 years.  No real complaints about them.  They both still work just fine and take a decent edge.  The assist mechanisms in them make for a reasonably quick deployment (they're a bit stiffer than some other knives) and I like button lock knives, which both of them are (although the older Flash I isn't as good, since it's a small, square release that has to be pressed quite hard to release the blade). 

Is that a better review for you than the ones you found on Amazon?  :D
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Moab

Quote from: EBuff75 on March 04, 2024, 09:09:34 PMI've carried either an SOG Flash I or SOG Mini Aegis now for about the last 15 years.  No real complaints about them.  They both still work just fine and take a decent edge.  The assist mechanisms in them make for a reasonably quick deployment (they're a bit stiffer than some other knives) and I like button lock knives, which both of them are (although the older Flash I isn't as good, since it's a small, square release that has to be pressed quite hard to release the blade). 

Is that a better review for you than the ones you found on Amazon?  :D
I really want a SOG Tellus folder. The fixed blade is cool too. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1026077030

You can adjust your folders tightness with the pivot screws. Probably torx bit tho. If u have one.

I'm of the school that sees little value in an expensive knife. The most I've spent is $150 for my ESEE 5. But that is a .25 inch blade. An comes with everything. 

*There is 98% of a knives value in any number of sub $50 knives. Fixed or folder. Maybe $75 in a folder. 

There are very well made knives in that price point. And better quality than you will ever use in a lifetime

Anything more and it's a vanity brand. Or has some unobtanium steel that no one but a Navy Seal really needs. 

I think 90% or more of knife buyers don't even use them. If they did they'd know how ridiculous it is to buy a $400 folding knife. IF your just buying a knife to use. If your collecting or it's a gift or whatever - I guess. I do like some of the custom knives small makers make. PL Knives on bushcraftusa makes some nice stuff. But they are like $150-$250. 

Knives are knives at a certain point. Like above $25. Your getting everything you're ACTUALLY GOING TO USE. 

Of all the knives I've owned over 50 yrs. Or longer for ones I inherited. Only one has broken. Its a $5 filet knive I bought at Kmart in the 80s. The tang rusted from underneath the rubber handle. But I still use it. 

I did inherit my grandfathers cheap Buck folder that he snapped the front one inch of tip off of. But who knows what that WWII Marine ape of a man did with it! ;) The funny part is he still kept it sharp and continued using the last 20 yrs of his life. 
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Raptor

QuoteMy blade was dull when i opened it i could not cut through a cardboard box
QuoteI bought this maybe 2-3 weeks ago and I never was able to use it because it didn't have a sharp edge at all. It looks very cool but couldn't cut anything
I would say that most of the 3 star and lower reviews are from people who assume knives are disposable like safety razor blades.
Folks you are on your own...Plan and act accordingly!

I will never claim to have all the answers. Depending upon the subject; I am also aware that I may not have all the questions much less the answers. As a result I am always willing to listen to others and work with them to arrive at the right answers to the applicable questions.

MacWa77ace

Who the hell would cut a cardboard box [or tape] with a knife? :smiley_duh:  I keep a box cutter EDC handy for that. Actually a couple, cause I don't want to have to sharpen my knife 'cause I used it to cut cardboard. My Leatherman has a box tape cutter tool on it, so I will cut the tape on a box with that tool, to open a box.

Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel
#TRowPriceSucks
Ask me about my Fully Semi-Automatic 30-Mag clip death gun .


Moab

Quote from: Raptor on March 06, 2024, 01:07:08 PM
QuoteMy blade was dull when i opened it i could not cut through a cardboard box
QuoteI bought this maybe 2-3 weeks ago and I never was able to use it because it didn't have a sharp edge at all. It looks very cool but couldn't cut anything
I would say that most of the 3 star and lower reviews are from people who assume knives are disposable like safety razor blades.
If I owned the knife company. I think I would leave the bad reviews up. But disqualify them from the overall score. With a comment that pointed out that its standard practice to need to sharpen a knife regularly. And that a sharpened knife edge is not forever. 

"The gas in this new car ran out after 400 miles. I haven't been able to drive it since! What a piece if sh*t!"

And we wonder why there are instructions on top of every jar lid. (I actually don't recall if there are. But that's about how stupid these people are.) 

Someday shoes are going to have come with instructions. 
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

EBuff75

Quote from: MacWa77ace on March 06, 2024, 02:02:51 PMWho the hell would cut a cardboard box [or tape] with a knife? :smiley_duh:  I keep a box cutter EDC handy for that. Actually a couple, cause I don't want to have to sharpen my knife 'cause I used it to cut cardboard. My Leatherman has a box tape cutter tool on it, so I will cut the tape on a box with that tool, to open a box.


Uh... * raises hand *  Opening mail / packages is one of the primary functions of my knife!  When I sharpened it this past weekend, the first thing I had to do was clean tape residue off of the blade.  I don't generally use it to cut up cardboard, but that's because I don't really have much reason to cut up cardboard on a regular basis.  

For most Amazon and other packages though, I usually don't bother with a knife.  Any blunt object (tip of a pen, end of a pair of scissors, etc.) can generally split the packing tape.  Just put the pen/knife in-line with your fingertip and draw it along the tape while pressing down.  Once the tape is split, pull back on the top flaps and break the ends of the tape to fully open the box.  Easy!

In the complaint that someone raised, they might've tried to cut cardboard as a test and then been unhappy that it wasn't sharp enough to do the job. 
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Moab

Quote from: EBuff75 on March 06, 2024, 02:42:24 PM
Quote from: MacWa77ace on March 06, 2024, 02:02:51 PMWho the hell would cut a cardboard box [or tape] with a knife? :smiley_duh:  I keep a box cutter EDC handy for that. Actually a couple, cause I don't want to have to sharpen my knife 'cause I used it to cut cardboard. My Leatherman has a box tape cutter tool on it, so I will cut the tape on a box with that tool, to open a box.


Uh... * raises hand *  Opening mail / packages is one of the primary functions of my knife!  When I sharpened it this past weekend, the first thing I had to do was clean tape residue off of the blade.  I don't generally use it to cut up cardboard, but that's because I don't really have much reason to cut up cardboard on a regular basis. 

For most Amazon and other packages though, I usually don't bother with a knife.  Any blunt object (tip of a pen, end of a pair of scissors, etc.) can generally split the packing tape.  Just put the pen/knife in-line with your fingertip and draw it along the tape while pressing down.  Once the tape is split, pull back on the top flaps and break the ends of the tape to fully open the box.  Easy!

In the complaint that someone raised, they might've tried to cut cardboard as a test and then been unhappy that it wasn't sharp enough to do the job. 
If you've ever worked in shipping and receiving. You know that that cheap Amazon tape breaks in two. Simply by punching it with a knuckle. And then just tearing it apart. I break down and open all my boxes by separating each side of tape a bit with a knuckle. And then tearing it apart. Way faster than cutting it with anything. Anything sensitive I use a pen or any pointy object like you suggest.

But I don't have a problem using a knife to cut tape. But cutting actual cardboard apart. I try to use a razor blade as a knife will get dull after a few boxes. And not cut it as well as a razor blade. Like if I worked in a shipping department I would only use box cutters. Its just sharper and lasts longer. Plus you can bust off a new blade if you need one. 
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MacWa77ace

I have a $3.99 Ozark Trail thumbstud folder or a $5 Sheffield that I would probably open packages [cut the tape] with, but I was assuming this is about dumbsters buying a cool tactical knife for some decent bucks and then complaining they can't open their hot pocket box and therefore can't fuel up for another 8 hour gaming session. present company excluded.  :shades:

Or maybe they aren't decent knives, because all the decent ones I've bought actaully come really sharp out of the box. I'll have to check my Ozark Trail, I don't think I've actaully used that one ever. Just got it to see what a $4 folder was all about. I'll get back to you. :awesome:

I do work in a distribution center and so I am opening boxes and cutting straps every once in a while. Probably why I have so many box knives in my EDC, the blades are disposable.

Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel
#TRowPriceSucks
Ask me about my Fully Semi-Automatic 30-Mag clip death gun .


flybynight

Quote from: Moab on March 06, 2024, 02:19:25 PM
Quote from: Raptor on March 06, 2024, 01:07:08 PM
QuoteMy blade was dull when i opened it i could not cut through a cardboard box
QuoteI bought this maybe 2-3 weeks ago and I never was able to use it because it didn't have a sharp edge at all. It looks very cool but couldn't cut anything
I would say that most of the 3 star and lower reviews are from people who assume knives are disposable like safety razor blades.
If I owned the knife company. I think I would leave the bad reviews up. But disqualify them from the overall score. With a comment that pointed out that its standard practice to need to sharpen a knife regularly. And that a sharpened knife edge is not forever.

"The gas in this new car ran out after 400 miles. I haven't been able to drive it since! What a piece if sh*t!"

And we wonder why there are instructions on top of every jar lid. (I actually don't recall if there are. But that's about how stupid these people are.)

Someday shoes are going to have come with instructions.
Already do, kinda 
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

12_Gauge_Chimp

I keep wanting to buy a few of those Ozark Trail crossbar lock folders just as cheapo beater knives, but I can't find any in my AO.

I could probably get them online, but I'd rather buy them local so as to save on shipping.

Moab

Quote from: MacWa77ace on March 06, 2024, 04:34:14 PMI have a $3.99 Ozark Trail thumbstud folder or a $5 Sheffield that I would probably open packages [cut the tape] with, but I was assuming this is about dumbsters buying a cool tactical knife for some decent bucks and then complaining they can't open their hot pocket box and therefore can't fuel up for another 8 hour gaming session. present company excluded.  :shades:

Or maybe they aren't decent knives, because all the decent ones I've bought actaully come really sharp out of the box. I'll have to check my Ozark Trail, I don't think I've actaully used that one ever. Just got it to see what a $4 folder was all about. I'll get back to you. :awesome:

I do work in a distribution center and so I am opening boxes and cutting straps every once in a while. Probably why I have so many box knives in my EDC, the blades are disposable.


I admit it does seem suspect when a better knife comes dull. Or poorly sharpened. But these idiots were like "it doesn't cut! What do I do?! Its a defective knife!" 
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

12_Gauge_Chimp

I don't mind reviews that have a legitimate complaint about the knife (or whatever product it may be), but when the end user is an obvious moron or nitpicks the tiniest little thing, it bugs me.

Or you see the ones where the reviewer compares a budget knife to one that's hundreds of dollars more. They'll sit there and complain that the fit and finish of a 20 dollar knife isn't the same as a 600 dollar knife and by that logic alone, the knife is automatically crap.

Like no kidding a 20 dollar knife isn't going to have the same fit and finish as a 600 dollar one. It's a freaking 20 dollar knife, you moron.

Moab

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on March 06, 2024, 06:37:42 PMI don't mind reviews that have a legitimate complaint about the knife (or whatever product it may be), but when the end user is an obvious moron or nitpicks the tiniest little thing, it bugs me.

Or you see the ones where the reviewer compares a budget knife to one that's hundreds of dollars more. They'll sit there and complain that the fit and finish of a 20 dollar knife isn't the same as a 600 dollar knife and by that logic alone, the knife is automatically crap.

Like no kidding a 20 dollar knife isn't going to have the same fit and finish as a 600 dollar one. It's a freaking 20 dollar knife, you moron.
Or visa versa. I have $20 knives with better fit and finish that $75 ones. 
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: Moab on March 06, 2024, 06:41:33 PM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on March 06, 2024, 06:37:42 PMI don't mind reviews that have a legitimate complaint about the knife (or whatever product it may be), but when the end user is an obvious moron or nitpicks the tiniest little thing, it bugs me.

Or you see the ones where the reviewer compares a budget knife to one that's hundreds of dollars more. They'll sit there and complain that the fit and finish of a 20 dollar knife isn't the same as a 600 dollar knife and by that logic alone, the knife is automatically crap.

Like no kidding a 20 dollar knife isn't going to have the same fit and finish as a 600 dollar one. It's a freaking 20 dollar knife, you moron.
Or visa versa. I have $20 knives with better fit and finish that $75 ones.

I've had knives like that as well.

Back when I was a kid, Chinese knives had a reputation for being cheap. Both in price and in quality.

So it's amazing to me how much some of them have improved in the last 15 years.

It's also sad how some famed US made knives have slipped in the QC department.

MacWa77ace

Here's what $9 in EDC folders looks like. For both.

They're sharp enough that I wouldn't have given a low rating based on the cost.




Sheffield       Ozark Trail
Liner locks with thumbstuds.

The Sheiffield's handle has that rubberized coating which turned sticky [If you know what I'm talking about] but I keep it in my hot car and I guess it baked the 'sticky' out of it, cause its not sticky anymore, but it does have that weird yellow stuff on it now.

I'd use these to cut cardboard but since I have better options I don't.
Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel
#TRowPriceSucks
Ask me about my Fully Semi-Automatic 30-Mag clip death gun .


SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk