Author Topic: What did you do today to prepare?  (Read 4324 times)

Offline NT2C

• (your ad here!)
  • Administrator
  • Epic Member
  • Reactions:
Re: What did you do today to prepare?
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2022, 04:17:47 PM »
Well, not going to buy a prime membership for the 3 times a year I might buy something from the site.  Oh well.

None locally to be had, called Ace and TS, been to Lowes, Target etc...  NADA.  I've gotten along without for years, so time to move on, not that big of a deal I guess.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled "what did you do today to prepare?" thread.

I picked up 4 of the Energizer headlamps majorhavoc posted about and added them to our tornado/emergency bags.
My wife likes Prime videos and we do save quite a bit on delivery costs.  Do I like Amazon as a company?  Not especially, but as a resource they can't be ignored.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Offline NT2C

• (your ad here!)
  • Administrator
  • Epic Member
  • Reactions:
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2022, 12:10:48 PM »
Got a shipment of new mags to fill with that Norma 5.56 on strippers that I bought.  The new mags are Duramag Speed mags and in conjunction with the StripLULA that I also bought I can load a mag in seconds.  I'm very pleased with how that worked out.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Offline Anianna

• The cool mom on the block
  • Zombies ate my personal text.
  • Reactions:
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2022, 01:01:20 PM »
Anyone know an online source to get Gamma lids as singles without getting raped for shipping on one unit?  I tried US plastics...  a bucket and lid was around $18...  then almost $20 for shipping.

I have not been able to find any locally.  I just want one bucket/lid to try out for now.
Got mine on Amazon w/free shipping. 

Link?

I'm not an Amzn fan and don't use it often, but the best I found for just a lid is $9.99 plus $5.99 shipping.  Bucket and lid is $30 shipped.

Fahk, are they really all that expensive?  Probably explains why I never bought any before.

Used to be if you didn't have Prime, you could still get free shipping once your purchase added up to a certain amount.  I thought that was still a thing, but I don't remember what the minimum is.  $25?  $35?  Something like that.  It wasn't outrageous.

I ordered a couple of Trangia alcohol stoves from Sweden.  Two to have a backup in case one gets lost or damaged.  I've also been watching videos on using them. 
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

∩(=^_^=)

Online Crosscut

• Paid Member
  • Trust, but verify
  • Reactions:
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2022, 01:28:27 PM »
#10 can of Augason Farms dehydrated chopped onions arrived y-day, will ask the Mrs to try these in some sauces and maybe an omelette to see how they taste first before buying a few more for the pantry.  A #10 can of butter powder is on backorder but still have nearly a case of Red Feather butter on the shelf so this is backup anyway.  My new still (hi google bots and BATFE agents, it's for distilling water, I have flooded lead acid batteries) arrived y-day too, still shopping for what I need to improve it but moderately surprised that it does seem to be of reasonable quality and no damage.

Tested my new safety rope for the first time while clearing the solar panels on Thursday, the old one was natural fiber where the new one is poly.  The new poly one doesn't absorb water (and then freeze) like the old one, less weight dragging behind me, I like it so far.  It got pretty much a full test too, with only about 4" of snow on the roof it was slippery work where I'd have probably fallen for sure without it.  More snow on the roof actually helps with footing I've found.

Charging the 12v battery we use for the Dakota Alert at the main entry gate. 

Dropped off a tank top propane heater (similar to this) and 20# tank to a neighbor, they've got a frozen water pipe where it enters the house from their pump.  Hopefully saved them a few bucks buying/renting one. They have a secondary spigot that works so they do have water. 

Online Crosscut

• Paid Member
  • Trust, but verify
  • Reactions:
« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2022, 06:50:07 AM »
Tried the dehydrated onions in broccoli and potato soup and spaghetti sauce this past week.  No complaints other than the size of the onion 'flakes', had hoped they'd be larger pieces given they're marketed as "chopped", but these are little different in size than the minced ones sold in the grocery store spice aisle.  Still, will order at least one more can for storage.  The Augason butter powder arrived early too, and went straight to storage without testing.  This will likely get used for cooking/baking and the Red Feather saved for spreading on bread/crackers.   Together they should help spice up the other storage foods, I can't recall ever saying no when asked if I'd like whatever fried in butter and onions.  :)

Offline majorhavoc

• Jr. Member in perpetuity
  • Global Moderator
  • Not all those who wander are lost
  • Reactions:
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2022, 07:11:27 AM »
"Retired" another of my DIY 3-day x 1-person/1-day x 3-person ration packs and replaced it with up-to-date food components.  I have about 10 of these in rotation.
Give me a minute.  I'll think of something.

Offline Rednex

• Reactions:
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2022, 07:48:45 AM »
Bought a set of these , one for my truck and her Xterra.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H7P9P8D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

They aint bad had to jump my backup truck from nothing  and it did great. Jumped the Xterra too.

Now to figure out out to set up one of those trickle chargers y'all posted to the backup truck.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk