What did you do today to prepare?

Started by SCBrian, June 26, 2021, 10:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NT2C

Quote from: CG on January 04, 2022, 04:18:17 PM
I just realized...if the camper isn't here (we left it at my parents' house and will pick it up around Valentine's Day), that severely limits my prep supplies in terms of heat and cooking without power.  We spent the Texas February freeze out in it with the generator running.

I should probably figure out how not to freeze if we lose power again before we go get it.  The generator is here, so we could run an extension cord into the house for space heaters...

I shall have to ponder on this.
Space heaters are not good options.  Heated blankets are though, and a Big Buddy propane heater does a nice job warming our place.  Kerosene heaters are also good but smelly.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

CG

Quote from: NT2C on January 04, 2022, 05:02:11 PM
I just realized...if the camper isn't here (we left it at my parents' house and will pick it up around Valentine's Day), that severely limits my prep supplies in terms of heat and cooking without power.  We spent the Texas February freeze out in it with the generator running.

I should probably figure out how not to freeze if we lose power again before we go get it.  The generator is here, so we could run an extension cord into the house for space heaters...

Space heaters are not good options.  Heated blankets are though, and a Big Buddy propane heater does a nice job warming our place.  Kerosene heaters are also good but smelly.

My electric blanket is also in the camper.  We have one small propane heater...

flybynight

Alladin kerosene lamps put out 2500 BTU's per hour. Plus light up your house,  They are kinda pricey But you can find them at auctions and are sometimes on sale from dealers

https://aladdinlamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Dealer-Directory-for-Website-10.19.21.pdf
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

NT2C

Quote from: flybynight on January 04, 2022, 07:41:56 PM
Alladin kerosene lamps put out 2500 BTU's per hour. Plus light up your house,  They are kinda pricey But you can find them at auctions and are sometimes on sale from dealers

https://aladdinlamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Dealer-Directory-for-Website-10.19.21.pdf
Just be careful with them around pets, else we'll have to change your screen name to Mrs. O'Leary.

Current Weather in My AO

RoneKiln

Gloves and lots of blankets. Somewhere I still have the blanket I cut a hole in the middle of to make it into a poncho for use in the house when we went 3 winters without heat. Blankets were on every couch and chair and we'd pull those over our laps every time we sat down. For large parts of the winter we didn't have to put stuff in the fridge. We could just leave the jug of milk on the counter.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

NapalmMan67

How about a Radiant Oil Heater?  I've had one for a few years and it's been great, quiet, no smell and puts outs lots of heat.

Example---  https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/1128077-comfort-zone-deluxe-oil-filled-heater-white.html?blaintm_source=google&blaintm_medium=lia&setstore=10&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn5O2p56b9QIVCsmUCR2Yzg4_EAQYASABEgJMQPD_BwE

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

CG

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on January 05, 2022, 01:00:03 PM

How about a Radiant Oil Heater?  I've had one for a few years and it's been great, quiet, no smell and puts outs lots of heat.

Example---  https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/1128077-comfort-zone-deluxe-oil-filled-heater-white.html?blaintm_source=google&blaintm_medium=lia&setstore=10&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn5O2p56b9QIVCsmUCR2Yzg4_EAQYASABEgJMQPD_BwE

That still requires electricity, but would it pull less than a straight electric heater?

NT2C

Quote from: CG on January 05, 2022, 01:34:48 PM
Quote from: NapalmMan67 on January 05, 2022, 01:00:03 PM

That still requires electricity, but would it pull less than a straight electric heater?
No, and they're less efficient than say an infrared (radiant) or ceramic electric heater.  The two best non-electric choices I've found are propane or kerosene, each with its pluses and minuses.  Currently in my AO, after the recent snow, you can't buy a 1 lb propane tank for a 100 mile radius, and 20 lb tanks are not safe for indoor use.  (yes, people still do) That's assuming you could get one filled.  Then there's kerosene.  The 20k BTU kerosene heaters work well, are very safe, and will heat a good sized area.  Ours heats the whole house.  But you have the kerosene small and the soot if the heater is improperly adjusted.  With both types of fuels/heaters there's CO to worry about and leaving a window cracked is not a bad idea.  K1 in my AO is currently $39 for 5 gallons at several local gas stations with kerosene tanks.  You can also often get it in pre-filled cans at farm supply stores and home improvement stores but at a significant markup.

Current Weather in My AO

NapalmMan67

Being a collector of old camping stuff, I almost forgot... Another option would be an old Coleman catalytic heater or two.  No electricity and no flame w/minimal fumes. 

A couple gallons of Camp Fuel would run them for a long time.

CG

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on January 05, 2022, 03:14:40 PM
Being a collector of old camping stuff, I almost forgot... Another option would be an old Coleman catalytic heater or two.  No electricity and no flame w/minimal fumes. 

A couple gallons of Camp Fuel would run them for a long time.

That's what we were using in the in-laws' house.  It doesn't do much good to heat the space.  If we're to that point, we're going to set up a tent inside and heat it.

CG

Quote from: NT2C on January 05, 2022, 02:12:54 PM
No, and they're less efficient than say an infrared (radiant) or ceramic electric heater.  The two best non-electric choices I've found are propane or kerosene, each with its pluses and minuses.  Currently in my AO, after the recent snow, you can't buy a 1 lb propane tank for a 100 mile radius, and 20 lb tanks are not safe for indoor use.  (yes, people still do) That's assuming you could get one filled.  Then there's kerosene.  The 20k BTU kerosene heaters work well, are very safe, and will heat a good sized area.  Ours heats the whole house.  But you have the kerosene small and the soot if the heater is improperly adjusted.  With both types of fuels/heaters there's CO to worry about and leaving a window cracked is not a bad idea.  K1 in my AO is currently $39 for 5 gallons at several local gas stations with kerosene tanks.  You can also often get it in pre-filled cans at farm supply stores and home improvement stores but at a significant markup.

*blinks*  I don't think I've EVER seen kerosene in a tank.  Just small jugs.  Not so much used down here. I'll have to pay attention and see if it's hiding somewhere.

NT2C

Quote from: CG on January 05, 2022, 04:29:56 PM
Quote from: NT2C on January 05, 2022, 02:12:54 PM

*blinks*  I don't think I've EVER seen kerosene in a tank.  Just small jugs.  Not so much used down here. I'll have to pay attention and see if it's hiding somewhere.
Yeah, there's several gas stations up here that have pumps (I hate typing that word - they're dispensers) for it.

Current Weather in My AO

NapalmMan67

If you go the kero route and are really concerned about fumes, the klean strip kerosene alterntive is good stuff, but pricier than from the pump.  It's what I use for the oil lamps for in the house.

This one---  https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/978230-klean-strip-klean-heat.html?blaintm_source=google&blaintm_medium=lia&setstore=10&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIheCWs92b9QIVYsmUCR3ZAwILEAQYAyABEgLjHfD_BwE

DONT USE THIS ONE it has a lower flash point and may cause runaway flames/flare ups----   https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/g--1663-klean-strip-kerosene-1-k-heater-fuel-plastic.html

NapalmMan67

Anyone know an online source to get Gamma lids as singles without getting raped for shipping on one unit?  I tried US plastics...  a bucket and lid was around $18...  then almost $20 for shipping.

I have not been able to find any locally.  I just want one bucket/lid to try out for now.

Lambykins

What did I do today?
Reorganized my preps, redid my water supplies and tossed out a lot of stuff no longer useful.
"But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you." Taken

"There is no such thing as a fair fight. Fight dirty EVERY time. Dirty fighters win, fair fighters lose. Every fight is a fight for your life. Fight to win. Fight dirty." My dad

"Am I dangerous? Ask any of my surviving exes..." Me

NT2C

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on January 05, 2022, 05:17:36 PM
Anyone know an online source to get Gamma lids as singles without getting raped for shipping on one unit?  I tried US plastics...  a bucket and lid was around $18...  then almost $20 for shipping.

I have not been able to find any locally.  I just want one bucket/lid to try out for now.
Got mine on Amazon w/free shipping.

Current Weather in My AO

NapalmMan67

Quote from: NT2C on January 05, 2022, 05:33:45 PM

Link?

I'm not an Amzn fan and don't use it often, but the best I found for just a lid is $9.99 plus $5.99 shipping.  Bucket and lid is $30 shipped.

Fahk, are they really all that expensive?  Probably explains why I never bought any before.

NT2C

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on January 06, 2022, 12:33:31 PM

Link?

I'm not an Amzn fan and don't use it often, but the best I found for just a lid is $9.99 plus $5.99 shipping.  Bucket and lid is $30 shipped.

Fahk, are they really all that expensive?  Probably explains why I never bought any before.
Yes, that's what I paid but with free shipping since I have Prime.

Current Weather in My AO

woodsghost

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on January 06, 2022, 12:33:31 PM

Link?

I had got mine at Lowes. You could maybe do a "buy online pick up in store?" Same for Ace Hardware (check local store) and Tractor Supply.

Prices have doubled since 2019. Damn.

I have my issues with Amazon too and only use them sparingly.

NapalmMan67

Well, not going to buy a prime membership for the 3 times a year I might buy something from the site.  Oh well.

None locally to be had, called Ace and TS, been to Lowes, Target etc...  NADA.  I've gotten along without for years, so time to move on, not that big of a deal I guess.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled "what did you do today to prepare?" thread.

I picked up 4 of the Energizer headlamps majorhavoc posted about and added them to our tornado/emergency bags. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk