What did you do today to prepare?

Started by SCBrian, June 26, 2021, 10:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NT2C

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on January 06, 2022, 03:41:46 PM
Well, not going to buy a prime membership for the 3 times a year I might buy something from the site.  Oh well.

None locally to be had, called Ace and TS, been to Lowes, Target etc...  NADA.  I've gotten along without for years, so time to move on, not that big of a deal I guess.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled "what did you do today to prepare?" thread.

I picked up 4 of the Energizer headlamps majorhavoc posted about and added them to our tornado/emergency bags.
My wife likes Prime videos and we do save quite a bit on delivery costs.  Do I like Amazon as a company?  Not especially, but as a resource they can't be ignored.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles
Current Weather in My AO

NT2C

Got a shipment of new mags to fill with that Norma 5.56 on strippers that I bought.  The new mags are Duramag Speed mags and in conjunction with the StripLULA that I also bought I can load a mag in seconds.  I'm very pleased with how that worked out.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles
Current Weather in My AO

Anianna

Quote from: NapalmMan67 on January 06, 2022, 12:33:31 PM
Quote from: NT2C on January 05, 2022, 05:33:45 PM
Quote from: NapalmMan67 on January 05, 2022, 05:17:36 PM
Anyone know an online source to get Gamma lids as singles without getting raped for shipping on one unit?  I tried US plastics...  a bucket and lid was around $18...  then almost $20 for shipping.

I have not been able to find any locally.  I just want one bucket/lid to try out for now.
Got mine on Amazon w/free shipping. 

Link?

I'm not an Amzn fan and don't use it often, but the best I found for just a lid is $9.99 plus $5.99 shipping.  Bucket and lid is $30 shipped.

Fahk, are they really all that expensive?  Probably explains why I never bought any before.

Used to be if you didn't have Prime, you could still get free shipping once your purchase added up to a certain amount.  I thought that was still a thing, but I don't remember what the minimum is.  $25?  $35?  Something like that.  It wasn't outrageous.

I ordered a couple of Trangia alcohol stoves from Sweden.  Two to have a backup in case one gets lost or damaged.  I've also been watching videos on using them. 
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

∩(=^_^=)

Crosscut

#10 can of Augason Farms dehydrated chopped onions arrived y-day, will ask the Mrs to try these in some sauces and maybe an omelette to see how they taste first before buying a few more for the pantry.  A #10 can of butter powder is on backorder but still have nearly a case of Red Feather butter on the shelf so this is backup anyway.  My new still (hi google bots and BATFE agents, it's for distilling water, I have flooded lead acid batteries) arrived y-day too, still shopping for what I need to improve it but moderately surprised that it does seem to be of reasonable quality and no damage.

Tested my new safety rope for the first time while clearing the solar panels on Thursday, the old one was natural fiber where the new one is poly.  The new poly one doesn't absorb water (and then freeze) like the old one, less weight dragging behind me, I like it so far.  It got pretty much a full test too, with only about 4" of snow on the roof it was slippery work where I'd have probably fallen for sure without it.  More snow on the roof actually helps with footing I've found.

Charging the 12v battery we use for the Dakota Alert at the main entry gate. 

Dropped off a tank top propane heater (similar to this) and 20# tank to a neighbor, they've got a frozen water pipe where it enters the house from their pump.  Hopefully saved them a few bucks buying/renting one. They have a secondary spigot that works so they do have water. 

Crosscut

Tried the dehydrated onions in broccoli and potato soup and spaghetti sauce this past week.  No complaints other than the size of the onion 'flakes', had hoped they'd be larger pieces given they're marketed as "chopped", but these are little different in size than the minced ones sold in the grocery store spice aisle.  Still, will order at least one more can for storage.  The Augason butter powder arrived early too, and went straight to storage without testing.  This will likely get used for cooking/baking and the Red Feather saved for spreading on bread/crackers.   Together they should help spice up the other storage foods, I can't recall ever saying no when asked if I'd like whatever fried in butter and onions.  :)

majorhavoc

"Retired" another of my DIY 3-day x 1-person/1-day x 3-person ration packs and replaced it with up-to-date food components.  I have about 10 of these in rotation.
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

Rednex

Bought a set of these , one for my truck and her Xterra.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H7P9P8D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

They aint bad had to jump my backup truck from nothing  and it did great. Jumped the Xterra too.

Now to figure out out to set up one of those trickle chargers y'all posted to the backup truck.

Crosscut

Not sure how or when it happened but discovered I didn't have any marine band channels programmed into my two primary HT radios this past weekend so I corrected that today by re-adding Marine channels 9, 16, 68, and 69.  Not sure when they got removed because I'm 99% sure I had them when I last reprogrammed these radios back in 2019 or so, but I was doing some testing then so it was probably my doing and not a problem with the radio (especially since the channels were missing from both radios and I always program both when I change anything).  Not that I needed it but it's never a bad idea to be able to monitor marine band when you're on a large body of water. 

Thankfully I did have NOAA weather programmed since weather information on cable TV seems to have gone downhill recently, or that's the situation at my cousin's house with Comcast/Xfinity (?) where I was staying over the weekend anyway - the weather channels only have recorded shows and no up-to-date weather info/radar as they did when I last had cable living in a metro area in years past.  Local news weather is near useless (imo), "we'll have a 45 second weather update following this 10 minute segment on local donut shops - so stay tuned".   :tickedoff:

Crosscut

Changed the spark plugs and oil on the generator yesterday, and ordered more plugs.   Topped off the vehicles and refilled the gas cans, 2.97 a gallon with a .50 per gallon discount code, plus 2% in Amazon money using the prime card.  Then hit the ATM and withdrew my daily max amount from the savings to add to the cash stash.  Heading back to town today to fill a cart at the dollar store and use a $5 off coupon, and will withdraw the max again, and might do it again tomorrow.   Watching events in our neighbor to the north has me thinking I need more cash on hand.

Crosscut

Busy/good week:  The Mrs did the grocery run on Thursday, I asked her to overshop and help top off the pantry given current events and she did not disappoint, god I really love her sometimes.  I went out today and again hit the ATM for our daily max cash, then to Amish country for an extra 48 pounds of kibble and some extra biscuits for the dogs.  We've only been keeping about 100 pounds of dog kibble in rotation as any more than that starts to go rancid before they eat it, but I put this extra bag in the unheated patio room which is frig/freezer temps this time of year so hopefully that'll help keep it fresh until we use it. 

Got the septic tank drained after our basement drain backed up and overflowed a bit while doing laundry last week, and it was very informative in a couple of ways.  The cause of the backup was due to ice in the top of the tank, and the drain pipe into the tank being nearly clogged shut (with ice) so it couldn't keep up with the large amount being pumped out of the washer all at one time.  It's been a moderately cold winter here but not much snow cover so the tank was more exposed to the colder air than when under a blanket of snow.  The septic guy said he's seen a lot of that this year.  The good news is that he said the tank and drain field appear to be fine, the water level in the tank was at the normal working level after never being drained through 16 years of use.  And, if it exhibits these same symptoms again I have a 6" PVC cleanout port about 8' from the tank that I could use to pour hot water down to help melt the ice next time.   He also offered a discount to come back in the spring and clean it again when the ice was gone, and he said he had no problem draining the small septic (which is closer to 20 years since draining, and not exactly per code...) at our cottage/guest house at the same time.  I did have to use about 25# of rock salt over a 4' X 4' area to melt the ice on the top of the tank to find the metal hook to lift the access port on the tank so I wouldn't be charged extra for that.  After I finished the Mrs asked why I didn't just use the metal detector to find the hook and save time and rock salt  :gonk:, god I really hate her sometimes.   :))

In other preps, ordered some more double-sided tape and heavy-duty plastic sheeting. 
https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Double-Sided-Tape-1-41-Gray/dp/B082P44MVS/?&tag=wilediofhou-20
https://www.amazon.com/Frost-King-P1025-Polyethylene-Sheeting/dp/B0040ZC5AO/?&tag=wilediofhou-20

Never really had enough of the tape to begin with, and used most of the plastic sheeting I did have when putting down a vapor barrier under the woodpile a couple years ago.  These will likely get used for more mundane stuff over the years to come, but in the event we lose some windows in a storm (or over pressure from a nuclear detonation) then they'll help keep the elements (or fallout) out.  We have some OSB and plywood pre-cut for most of the windows, but the plastic over top should keep the drafts down and the moisture out.

NapalmMan67

Crosscut, could I borrow your Mrs. to come over and teach my Mrs. to over buy also?  28+ years with mine and I still can't get her to buy more than what she plans for meals in a week.   :headbang:

I went through our working pantry this weekend and made a list of items for replacement.  I'll make a grocery run for some of the bulk items, since my wife thinks that's an endless supply on the shelves and typically doesn't replenish as she consumes...
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

NapalmMan67

Oh, and since physical health is important to prepping also, I started expanding our exercise room a few weeks ago to consolidate our equipment to one space.  This weekend I got all the new furring strips up on the walls and was able to hang a few sheets of drywall. 

Hoping to have that area completed and functional in a month or less...  If I can remember which flooring I ordered last time so we can match it to what's there now. 

Anianna

Was double-checking my planned escape routes in case of problems at any (or all) of the nuclear power plants around us and realized my road atlas was seriously old, so I now have a 2022 road atlas of the US. 

∩(=^_^=)

flybynight

What kind did you get?  I printed up  topographical maps of my area but  miss my old thomas bros. map book. ( which I'm sure there is nothing similar for the state of kansas )
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

Mr. E. Monkey

Quote from: flybynight on March 08, 2022, 05:36:06 AM
What kind did you get?  I printed up  topographical maps of my area but  miss my old thomas bros. map book. ( which I'm sure there is nothing similar for the state of kansas )

Isn't a paper map already a pretty good topographical representation of Kansas?   :awesome:

Printing important stuff out is probably a really good idea right about now.

It was last night, but I cleaned and put together a "spare parts" AR that I'm actually looking to sell in favor of a bolt-action .22 with a threaded barrel (probably a Savage Mk II FV-SR if I can get my paws on one) for pest control and small game.
Quote from: SMoAF'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: BeowolfDisasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bushTHE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

Anianna

Rand McNally with the vinyl cover.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0528023772/

∩(=^_^=)

flybynight

Quote from: Mr. E. Monkey on March 08, 2022, 09:27:10 AM

Isn't a paper map already a pretty good topographical representation of Kansas?   :awesome:

It was last night, but I cleaned and put together a "spare parts" AR that I'm actually looking to sell in favor of a bolt-action .22 with a threaded barrel (probably a Savage Mk II FV-SR if I can get my paws on one) for pest control and small game.

Pancakes... Pancakes  are a good topographical representation of Kansas :slide:
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

Mr. E. Monkey

Quote from: flybynight on March 08, 2022, 11:39:20 AM
Quote from: Mr. E. Monkey on March 08, 2022, 09:27:10 AM

Pancakes... Pancakes  are a good topographical representation of Kansas :slide:

I mean, they're not perfect, but they'll work okay, I guess...

Okay, the link wasn't working.  Let me just do this:  https://www.usu.edu/geo/geomorph/kansas.html
Quote from: SMoAF'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: BeowolfDisasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bushTHE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

NapalmMan67

Good for you Anianna.  Even pancake states have updated their navigable roadways over the years.

Added a couple rolls of Duct Tape and another package of AA batts. to the pile.

Anianna

Added binder clips to the go gear.  My preferred size is 1.25" with a 0.5" capacity.  I have used them for all sorts of things over the years including keeping janky hotel curtains closed, containing a windshield screen so it wouldn't pop open after the case tore, keeping my laptop screen together after the hinge popped, running cable along the ceiling (clip the cable in, remove pinch bars, adhere clip to ceiling with Command strips), keeping the end of the charger cable handy by running it through the pinch bars of a clip on the side of a nearby shelf, clothes pins, generally holding things together, etcetera, etcetera.  I always keep one on my boonie hat just in case and I always pack some for trips. 

Also added the boxed set of the Canterbury Bushcraft series to my library. 

∩(=^_^=)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk