Vehicle roadside kit

Started by boskone, June 12, 2021, 01:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boskone

I've always had just a random pile of everything I'd ever needed in my toolbox, but given the unfortunate brevity of my current truck's bed (I don't like it, but in the current market you take what you can get) I will probably be omitting that. 

However, as I'll be acquiring a travel trailer once production restarts, I'd like to also be able to handle at least basic issue for it as well.

Note that this is a mechanical kit, not a full-up "oh, shit" kit.

What I've got so far (either on the list or already own), let me know if I'm missing something:
  • ABC fire extinguisher
  • Reflective triangles - I like LED pucks, but simple reflectors don't require batteries
  • Tool kit - Basic Kobalt home-maintenance kit, with a couple added 10mm sockets
  • 4-way tire iron
  • Spare tire (under the truck)
  • Tire patch kit
  • Jump box
  • Jumper cables
  • Air pump
  • Folding shovel
  • Snatch strap
  • FAK
  • Flashlight (something with a directed light, COB, and at least a magnetic base)
  • Spare fuses
  • Multimeter
  • Packing blanket
  • Small rope (50-100 ft of something from the hardware store, plus up to a couple hundred feet of paracord)
  • Ratchet straps
  • Poly tarp
  • Duct or similar tape
  • 1gal water jug (nonpotable coolant)
  • 2-5 gal fuel can (depending on what I can find that I like)

Remember that I live in Texas; issues like snow are pretty rare, and if I have to bug out in cold-weather conditions I'm probably pretty well boned anyway; aside from our roads being designed for heat rather than cold, basically no-one here ever develops cold-weather driving skills because it's easier and safer to just stay home.

I might try some of those swing-out wheel well boxes for bed storage, but I think more likely I'm going to have a pile of stuff behind the back seat with a few items under the front seats (FAK, flashlight) or in the bed (water and fuel).

Barr

How long is the small rope?

Only one gallon of water?  I'd think you would have 2 gallons of potable water at least, especially this time of year.

Tire Patch Kit or Fix-a-flat maybe as a just in case?
Quote from: Vicarious_LeeFuck it I'm Zombie Squad. I got this shit

boskone

Quote from: Barr on June 12, 2021, 02:35:41 PM
How long is the small rope?
Right now, I've got like 200ft of paracord.  I'm planning to leave it, but will probably pick up 50-100ft of something less stretchy, probably just hardware store nylon or poly.  I'll add the details.

QuoteOnly one gallon of water?  I'd think you would have 2 gallons of potable water at least, especially this time of year.
First note: "Note that this is a mechanical kit".  The water's to top off the coolant system.

Tire Patch Kit or Fix-a-flat maybe as a just in case?
Ah, yea...patch kit's definitely a go.  I have a spare, but never hurts to have a spare spare.

EBuff75

I'm going to work my way through your list with some additions and then add more to it at the end!
Someone already mentioned a tire patch kit, so I'll skip that suggestion, but be sure to include a good tire gauge, and maybe some extra valve caps.

Along with the snatch strap (hopefully you aren't talking about a tow strap which has flying-metal-death-hooks on it), you might want to consider adding a soft shackle and maybe a d-ring which fits into your receiver.

A flashlight is great, but for working on a vehicle, either a headlamp or a magnetic work light might be good too.
You've got the multimeter and fuses, but what about some wire, wire strippers/cutters, and electrical tape?

Rope, ratchet straps, tape, but no zip ties?  Definitely got to have some of those too! I like the heavy-duty "mil spec" ones from Home Depot.

And the counterpoint to the duct tape is having WD-40, and maybe some penetrating oil too. Remember, if it moves and it's not supposed to, use the duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40!

Okay, here are some others to consider:

• Piano wire (for those places where tape or zip ties would melt or be abraded)
  • A quart of oil
  • If there's room, you can add a jug of coolant, but you can always use water in a pinch, so it's probably not a requirement
  • Granted, you're not in an area with snow/ice/salty-road-gunk, but a jug of wiper fluid sure comes in handy up here in Michigan sometimes!
  • Flagging tape (marking long loads, or for signaling distress)
  • The electronic "flares" are good to use as markers on trailers/vehicles which are having lighting issues (most of them have magnets so that they can stick onto vehicles)  I've actually used them in this capacity before.
  • Paper towels / shop towels
  • Hand cleaner / wipes (for after you've completed repairs and are back on the road)
  • Speaking roadside emergencies - toilet paper!
  • Garbage bags
  • Work gloves / latex gloves
  • Rain gear (at the very least, a baseball cap to keep rain out of your face)
  • Reflective vest (hey, you're standing at the side of the road, make sure other drivers can see you)
  • Eye protection (and hearing protection never hurts to have either)
  • Hose clamps (I have a couple of these of various sizes in the car)
  • A good knife
  • Sandpaper (not much, but just enough to clean off a surface/terminal if you're having grounding or connection issues)
  • Spare parts as needed - I don't know how old / what type of vehicle, but things like spark plugs, gas filter, belts, wipers, bulbs, etc.
  • Sharpie marker
  • Magnetic pick-up
  • Inspection mirror
  • Sunscreen, bug spray
  • Boss Level:  OBDII reader   ;D
Look through the Kobalt tool kit and fill in any gaps. Some tools to consider:

• Linesman pliers (this is my go-to for a lot of jobs around the house/in my vehicles)
  • Ratchet extension
  • Utility knife / blades
  • Pry rod (the type which look like a long, bent screwdriver)
  • Hammer (the ones in a lot of those kits are fairly crappy, and sometimes you just need to do some percussive maintenance)
  • Precision screwdriver set with replaceable bits (for all of those oddball fittings, not just limited to those in the vehicle, because other things break too; you might look for a set which has a flexible extension too, as that can make it easier to get into tight spaces)
  • Longer / specialty screwdrivers (look at what you might need for your vehicle and consider purchasing standalone screwdrivers if needed)
  • Spark plug socket (most generic kits won't have this); plug gap tool
  • Vice grips
  • Socket set (again, check to see whether you need English, metric, or both for your vehicle and that the sockets you have are deep enough for most of what you'll need them for)
  • Hex keys
And don't forget one of the most versatile tools:  CashSometimes you can't fix your car at the side of the road and having some folding stuff can pay for a tow, a hotel room, parts, or whatever else might be needed.
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

boskone

Quote from: EBuff75 on June 12, 2021, 03:33:54 PM
<snip>
I had a long series of responses, agreements, etc...then sneezed and hit the back button on my mouse.  :headbang:

I'm not ignoring your post, I just really don't feel like typing it all out again.

EBuff75

Quote from: boskone on June 12, 2021, 03:58:47 PM
<snip>
I had a long series of responses, agreements, etc...then sneezed and hit the back button on my mouse.  :headbang:

I'm not ignoring your post, I just really don't feel like typing it all out again.
No worries, I've had that happen before too!
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Crosscut

JB Weld, quick setting or the tank repair types if you prefer.
Radiator stop leak
Probably not an issue in Texas but lock de-icer, or just put some premium windshield washer fluid (-40 deg stuff) in a small squirt bottle.
Large bandana, many uses but mine gets used mostly for tying to anything that hangs out the back of the truck/trailer, like lumber.
Siphon hose
Propane torch

SCBrian

Lets talk Tire patch kits.
If you are talking about the actual puncture kits, with the plug type - no problem.  If you are talking about the actual patches, most of them can only be used with access to the inside of the tire.   And generally NOT something you want to do on the side of the road. (Tools, etc). 
If we're talking about the fix-a-flat or similar, I really like Tire Slime and recommend this vid:
(Gosh, I love Project farm!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5DWhIF1c0M
BattleVersion wrote:  "For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders."

EBuff75

Quote from: SCBrian on June 13, 2021, 10:36:04 AM
(Gosh, I love Project farm!)
I only discovered Project Farm last year, but I've watched almost all of his videos now.  When he tests something which is relevant to me, I frequently add the recommended item(s) to my Amazon tool wishlist and then put the link to his video in the comments field so that I know why that specific item is in my list.

RoneKiln

Do we have the type of GM/DM that's going to enforce encumbrance rules? If they are, we're going to need another bag of holding before this thread is done. If it's ever done. :smiley_chitchat:
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

NT2C

Quote from: RoneKiln on June 17, 2021, 10:37:59 PM
Do we have the type of GM/DM that's going to enforce encumbrance rules? If they are, we're going to need another bag of holding before this thread is done. If it's ever done. :smiley_chitchat:
I used to own a utility truck of holding.  I put it on the scales just before I unloaded it and sold it. 9,950 lbs. 5,400 empty.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

Tony D Tiger

Need a couple 2x6 various lengths when you add that trailer. Might be worth tossing a piece in the bed now, in case you need a stable base on soft earth, for jacking against.

Oh, and do the rear seat mod to put a box and shelf in its place, unless you got a crew cab.

boskone

Quote from: RoneKiln on June 17, 2021, 10:37:59 PM
Encumbrance is a concern, but I'm hoping to get a Heward's Handy Toolbox; not quite as much storage as a full Truck of Holding, but would be able to carry the necessities and a few extras while still being able to lay hands on whatever I need.

boskone

Quote from: Tony D Tiger on June 18, 2021, 09:11:26 AM
Need a couple 2x6 various lengths when you add that trailer. Might be worth tossing a piece in the bed now, in case you need a stable base on soft earth, for jacking against.
Yeah, we used those under the mobiles at my previous job.  The floorplan in looking at even has an odd, tall storage compartment in a normally inconvenient location which will, I think, be pretty ideal for some weight distribution lumber.

QuoteOh, and do the rear seat mod to put a box and shelf in its place, unless you got a crew cab.
I have a Crewmax.  Got a link to the mod?  Sounds interesting, since the second-gen don't have the flip-up seats like I believe third-gen Tundras.

Tony D Tiger

Quote from: boskone on June 18, 2021, 09:47:27 AM
Quote from: Tony D Tiger on June 18, 2021, 09:11:26 AM
Yeah, we used those under the mobiles at my previous job.  The floorplan in looking at even has an odd, tall storage compartment in a normally inconvenient location which will, I think, be pretty ideal for some weight distribution lumber.

QuoteOh, and do the rear seat mod to put a box and shelf in its place, unless you got a crew cab.
I have a Crewmax.  Got a link to the mod?  Sounds interesting, since the second-gen don't have the flip-up seats like I believe third-gen Tundras.
somewhere in this forum; possibly this thread... https://advrider.com/f/threads/show-us-your-tacoma.1297664/

There was a guy that built two (one for him, one for his Dad) with a lot of modifications. Last I read, he sold his and started a custom build Sprinter van.

flybynight

Quote from: EBuff75 on June 12, 2021, 06:27:22 PM
Quote from: boskone on June 12, 2021, 03:58:47 PM
<snip>

No worries, I've had that happen before too!

Better add some kind of antihistamine or allergy medicine to the truck kit  :clownshoes:

In my truck box I  also keep a small hydraulic floor jack, a jack stand and a come along.  I used to keep a one foot square  1/4 inch plate in case I had to jack up the vehicle in soft soil.  But forgot it alongside a road after a extra aggravating breakdown once
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

Rednex

I see most covers so far but placement of items can be an issue. In my big truck i had a full in bed box. Had at least 1 bottle of all fluids even 90 weight gear oil. Belts, wipers, a few plugs everything. But it took me 10 minutes to get to stuff to dig it out. I was the road side assistants for all my friends and family.

I broke it up into how often it was used. Keep a multi tool in center console, with a small kit of sun screen, sanitizer, nail clippers, splitter out ,fire extinguisher mounted to floor at trans hump with a demo tool. First aid was under back seat with flashing yellow light  to put on top of my truck. Keep a pair of fencing pliers under back seat too. Have a molle sun visor cover with pen, pencil , small note book, flashlight, Res-Q-Me, sun glasses.

I want to get those molle seat covers and put some pouch's on the back of them to organize even more.

RoneKiln

Quote from: Rednex on June 19, 2021, 08:20:12 AM
I want to get those molle seat covers and put some pouch's on the back of them to organize even more.

I was probably better off not knowing about these. Now I really want one, but I don't want all those visible pouches increasing the risk my car gets broken into. I do my best to never leave visible bags in my car. Everything I leave in my car is hidden out of sight.

Edited to fix embarrasingly bad typos.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

boskone

The rest of the kit is mostly still just a list, waiting on input from Dad.  He's spent most of my life driving all over Texas, so I figure he'll have some good ideas.  Though it may boil down to "throw one of everything in the toolbox, and root around for whatever you need".

But I did add 2 comfort items and a minor safety item to the truck:

The pillow's pretty nice, though unfortunately a bit too big for backpacking.

I already accidentally stuck my thumb in the rear cigarette lighter once.  :rolleyes1:  Didn't zap me, but I figure it's only a matter of time.  For me, at least, it's right where my fingers end up if I reach around to the back seat to grab or replace something (e.g. window shade).

NT2C

Quote from: RoneKiln on June 19, 2021, 11:35:23 AM
Quote from: Rednex on June 19, 2021, 08:20:12 AM

I was probably better off not know about these. Now I really want one, but I don't want all those visible pouches increasing the risk my car gets broken into. I do my best to never leave visible bags in may car. Everything I leave in my car is hidden out of sight.
We have one of these on the back of each front seat in our Dakota.  It's where we keep maps, emergency gear & supplies like flashlights/vests/flares/FAK, snacks and (in the bottom) a couple bottles of bottled water, plus other on-the-road supplies tailored to the current season or climate.

Seat Back Organizer The black color on the back of black seats and looking through a tinted window makes them just about invisible.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Current Weather in My AO
Current Tracking Info for My Jeep

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk