Best Quality Bandaids?

Started by RoneKiln, November 28, 2021, 07:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosscut

Quote from: RoneKiln on December 07, 2021, 10:38:06 PM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on December 07, 2021, 04:06:11 PM
Quote from: echo83 on December 03, 2021, 09:04:17 PM
I go with the cloth Band-Aids. For me, plastic ones peel off way too fast, and aren't very flexible. I also have yet to find a brand where the paper sleeves don't eventually deteriorate.

It may seem totally over the top, but a little dab of super glue works wonders. I used to think putting super glue on a cut was like the old "tampon in a gunshot wound," trope, but a few years working in a kitchen made a believer out of me.

What about that Liquid Bandaid stuff (I think the brand is called New Skin) ?

I saw that in the store last weekend while buying bandaids and mentally blew it off. But now I'm thinking I should try it.

Thanks for bringing it up and making me rethink it.

Works good for scratches on kids until it dries and they start picking at it anyway.   Dog feet (paw pads) too, I keep two bottles with one labeled just for them since the applicator usually gets sand/dirt on it between applications.  If there's a flap of pad hanging you can sometimes use this to 'glue' it back down. 

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: RoneKiln on December 07, 2021, 10:38:06 PM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on December 07, 2021, 04:06:11 PM
Quote from: echo83 on December 03, 2021, 09:04:17 PM
I go with the cloth Band-Aids. For me, plastic ones peel off way too fast, and aren't very flexible. I also have yet to find a brand where the paper sleeves don't eventually deteriorate.

It may seem totally over the top, but a little dab of super glue works wonders. I used to think putting super glue on a cut was like the old "tampon in a gunshot wound," trope, but a few years working in a kitchen made a believer out of me.

What about that Liquid Bandaid stuff (I think the brand is called New Skin) ?

I saw that in the store last weekend while buying bandaids and mentally blew it off. But now I'm thinking I should try it.

Thanks for bringing it up and making me rethink it.

No problem.

I usually tend to use it whenever I've got a cut on my fingers and normal bandages won't stay put.

Anianna

Some fellow allergy and sensitive skin sufferers have recommended hydrocolloid bandages, but I saw that some people in the reviews of these had allergic reactions while others love them.  So I bought two brands; Bandaid Hydro Seal and Welly Kicker Sticker and I have applied one to each arm to test how I respond to them.

These were originally marketed towards blister and acne treatment, so they can be odd sizes and shapes for wound care use.  I find the Welly Kicker Sticker to be a decent size for wound care compared to typical bandaids.  The ones from Bandaid brand seem to be a bit to narrow or a bit too wide.  I bought the narrow size because they're a bit cheaper per use and they'll be sufficient for small cuts. 

The hydrocolloid gel is what adheres the bandage to the skin and provides healing conditions, so there is no need for antiseptic or adhesives. 

Initial thoughts:  The Bandaid brand seems to have better edge adhesion.  The Welly one is a better size. They have a sort of cooling feel against the skin.  As of 20 minutes wearing them, neither is producing a skin reaction.  These might be an option for me.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

∩(=^_^=)

Crosscut

I found a small stash of (1980's?) Johnson and Johnson band aids in the medicine cabinet at the cabin over the holidays, the kind with the red string to help open the package.  The outer packaging  feels and looks like wax paper with folded ends and still sealed like they were new.  30 or more years old maybe and kept in a non-climate controlled environment the whole time.  Stuck one in my pocket and brought it home so I can test it the next time I get a cut.

NapalmMan67

Quote from: Crosscut on January 11, 2022, 05:57:23 AM
I found a small stash of (1980's?) Johnson and Johnson band aids in the medicine cabinet at the cabin over the holidays, the kind with the red string to help open the package.  The outer packaging  feels and looks like wax paper with folded ends and still sealed like they were new.  30 or more years old maybe and kept in a non-climate controlled environment the whole time.  Stuck one in my pocket and brought it home so I can test it the next time I get a cut. 

Classic!  I remember those pull string packages from the early '70s while growing up.  I think they discoed the pull string in the early 90s.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc-  Not just pretty words.

Anianna

Update on the hydrocolloid bandages:

Both brands staid on for 24 hours without skin problems.  I even put lotion on my arms with them there (I forgot about them) and that didn't budge them.  The Welly brand one took off hair when I removed it.  Otherwise, they were not painful to remove. 

These are designed to stay on and not be replaced daily as other types of bandages should be.  The directions say to leave them on until they come loose and they were definitely not loose at the 24 hour mark. 

I think these are a viable option if you tolerate them.  I recommend testing one before you use it for injury, just in case you have a sensitivity.  I now have more options for bandages for my intolerant skin and I'm comfortable recommending these to others with sensitive skin.

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Another update to the hydrocolloid bandages:

I've tried one on an actual booboo now.  I have no idea what happened, but I had a cut and a strip of raw skin.  Caught it on something, I guess, but didn't feel it until later and, boy howdy, that raw bit of skin was stinging.  Cleaned it, but couldn't find the Neosporine (this happens when you have four kids), but then I remembered the Welly bandages and popped one on. 

I forgot about it.

I'm not sure anybody who doesn't have skin sensitivities can understand this.  I don't forget anything on me.  I can't forget my clothes I'm wearing.  Everything that touches me bothers me.  But this, I don't feel it.  It is not bothering me in the slightest.  It doesn't hurt like adhesive does.  It's not even annoying me like my clothes do.  It's just like it isn't even there.  It also stays in place well.  I've washed and lotioned up with this thing on and it hasn't budged.

I can safely say that I would recommend this to anybody who can't wear adhesive bandages.  There are a handful of people who are allergic, so definitely test it before you need it.  Otherwise, these are the bomb diggity of bandages.

∩(=^_^=)

12_Gauge_Chimp

Welly bandages are the ones that come in like a little tin with a paper slip that calls them "bravery badges", right ?

If so, I've seen them at Walmart and Dollar General, but have never tried them. I need to restock my bandages anyway, so I may pick up a box of them to try out.

Anianna

Yes, Welly brand comes in a tin and the adhesive bandages designed for kids are called "Bravery Badges".  The hydrocolloid bandages were designed for blisters, which frequently happen on the feet, and are called "Kicker Stickers". 

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

I found this article about silicone tape verses adhesive medical tapes designed for sensitive skin.  I'll be trying silicone tape next. 

Also, silicone tape is supposedly "reusable" but I'm not sure how that works, exactly.  I know that it is "repositionable" but a lot of sellers use both terms, not just one or the other, so I'm not sure if that means you can use it for multiple uses and how you would sterilize it between.  I use silicone menstrual cups and those can be boiled to sterilize, so perhaps the tape can be boiled, but then I'm not sure how it maintains its adherent nature.  I'm not sure yet, still researching that part but not finding much.  Perhaps the packaging of the tape will explain it.

∩(=^_^=)

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: Anianna on February 13, 2022, 01:48:05 PM
Yes, Welly brand comes in a tin and the adhesive bandages designed for kids are called "Bravery Badges".  The hydrocolloid bandages were designed for blisters, which frequently happen on the feet, and are called "Kicker Stickers".

I've only ever seen the "Bravery Badges" in my AO, but I'll look for the other stuff they make.

RoneKiln

Quote from: Anianna on February 13, 2022, 01:48:05 PMYes, Welly brand comes in a tin and the adhesive bandages designed for kids are called "Bravery Badges".  The hydrocolloid bandages were designed for blisters, which frequently happen on the feet, and are called "Kicker Stickers". 

Awesome! I picked up two tins of the Bravery Badges on sale for when my nieces are around. I'm glad they're truly good quality and not "just pretty."
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Crosscut

Quote from: RoneKiln on September 10, 2022, 07:23:42 PM
Quote from: Anianna on February 13, 2022, 01:48:05 PMYes, Welly brand comes in a tin and the adhesive bandages designed for kids are called "Bravery Badges".  The hydrocolloid bandages were designed for blisters, which frequently happen on the feet, and are called "Kicker Stickers". 

Awesome! I picked up two tins of the Bravery Badges on sale for when my nieces are around. I'm glad they're truly good quality and not "just pretty."
Never tried the hydrocolloid bandages, but they came up in a search for weeping/oozing wounds while researching a recent dog injury - did some reading on them and decided they'd be good additions to the med supplies so picked up some 2x2's and 4x4's.  Now if the dogs would only cooperate and only get hurt in places where they can be easily sheared/trimmed and bandaged.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk