Best Melee (aka hand-to-hand) weapons

Started by Ghost, April 03, 2022, 05:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12_Gauge_Chimp

Quote from: Nyte on May 07, 2022, 02:45:45 PM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on May 07, 2022, 11:33:30 AMRegarding melee weapons, this video popped up in my recommended videos list on YouTube and it's pretty neat.

Dude makes a medieval style war hammer out of some plumbing pipe and a wooden dowel.

https://youtu.be/xQde1xCw7yM
That's pretty cool.  I don't think I would use a dowel rod as the handle, they are prone to breaking, unless you can find a good hardwood one.  IIRC most dowels are pine.

I'd probably use something else than a dowel rod too.

It'd weigh more, but I'd think another length of plumbing pipe might work better than a dowel rod.

Nyte

Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on May 07, 2022, 02:51:21 PM
Quote from: Nyte on May 07, 2022, 02:45:45 PM
Quote from: 12_Gauge_Chimp on May 07, 2022, 11:33:30 AMRegarding melee weapons, this video popped up in my recommended videos list on YouTube and it's pretty neat.

Dude makes a medieval style war hammer out of some plumbing pipe and a wooden dowel.

https://youtu.be/xQde1xCw7yM
That's pretty cool.  I don't think I would use a dowel rod as the handle, they are prone to breaking, unless you can find a good hardwood one.  IIRC most dowels are pine.

I'd probably use something else than a dowel rod too.

It'd weigh more, but I'd think another length of plumbing pipe might work better than a dowel rod.
The problem with another length of pipe wouldn't be the weight, but the vibration.  Anytime you hit something, it would jar and vibrate right through your hand and arm.  It'd cost more, but I'd probably get a hardwood Jo staff or Escrima stick and use that for the handle.

12_Gauge_Chimp

Yeah, I didn't even think of the vibration issue with using another length of pipe for the handle.

But something like an Escrima stick or Jo staff would work a lot better than the pipe or the dowel.

EBuff75

I got myself a Corona folding saw recently and while I was unpacking it, I realized that it would make a nasty improvised weapon.  The teeth on the saw are razor sharp and if you swung it like a machete, it could really do some damage, particularly if you hit someone in the face or neck.
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Lodewijk

Quote from: EBuff75 on August 30, 2022, 06:34:45 PMI got myself a Corona folding saw recently and while I was unpacking it, I realized that it would make a nasty improvised weapon.  The teeth on the saw are razor sharp and if you swung it like a machete, it could really do some damage, particularly if you hit someone in the face or neck.
Isn't that sort of the general idea behind the Spyderco Civilian? Sounds nasty.

EBuff75

Quote from: Lodewijk on August 30, 2022, 07:37:02 PM
Quote from: EBuff75 on August 30, 2022, 06:34:45 PMI got myself a Corona folding saw recently and while I was unpacking it, I realized that it would make a nasty improvised weapon.  The teeth on the saw are razor sharp and if you swung it like a machete, it could really do some damage, particularly if you hit someone in the face or neck.
Basically.  Except this is 10-inches long, with a full hand (or double-hand) grip.  It doesn't have the point/hook on the end though!
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Mr. E. Monkey

Quote from: Lodewijk on August 30, 2022, 07:37:02 PM
Damn...now that is a mean looking knife.   :eek1:
Quote from: SMoAF'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Quote from: BeowolfDisasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
Quote from: wee drop o' bushTHE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS!  :lol:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk