What did you do today to prepare?

Started by SCBrian, June 26, 2021, 10:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosscut

Window washing day in our passive solar home, almost 300 sq ft of south facing glazing - doubled when having to wash both sides of course.  I cheat using the garden hose and commercial soap sprayer on the outside but my arms feel like rubber after doing the inside with Windex and paper towels and I'm not even done yet.  The sun it getting low enough in the sky now that it's shining in about 3' on to the floor at midday, by late December it'll be flooding the entire interior on the south side.  Each Sept/Oct on hot days (like today) I curse myself for not extending the roof overhang further to keep the sun out, and each cold March/April day the same for not reducing it to let more sun in.  Best guess is it does provide about 30-40% of our heating needs seasonally tho.  The roof overhang was the cheapest part of the solution, zero cost basically, we just had the builder shift the pre-made roof trusses to overhang more on southern side to the 'right' length based on our latitude.  We built the house in 2006, in part to reduce our reliance on rising food and fuel prices that I anticipated would continue to rise - although obviously they didn't until just recently.  After over a decade of being wrong with commodity prices falling back down and remaining low it's finally starting to look like it might have been wise decision again, until it's not again anyway.

But meanwhile the wife is finishing the weekly laundry with the towels and jeans drying on the clothesline, and we have enough sun today that the batteries are in good shape and the generator didn't need to run to power the water pump and clothes washer - in fact it hasn't run since laundry day last weekend, and we're still using the original solar panels and batteries installed in 2006.  She does prefer the (propane) clothes dryer for the undergarments as they're less scratchy then when line drying, and I don't disagree.  In the winter months with the wood stove going I'll hang the heavier clothes near the fire to dry overnight which also adds some humidity to the air to counter the dry heat from the stove, a win-win which saves some power on the shortened winter days when we need it most. 

Forgive the blatant bragging, I've just been wrong for so long it feels good to think maybe I wasn't wrong afterall but just way too early.  Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket!  :)

flybynight

If you have some on hand. Newspaper is cheaper and it doesn't streak. Have you tried a window squeegee? Would make quick work of that 300 sq ft without the sore wax on wax off arms
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

Crosscut

Quote from: flybynight on September 10, 2022, 05:01:30 PMIf you have some on hand. Newspaper is cheaper and it doesn't streak. Have you tried a window squeegee? Would make quick work of that 300 sq ft without the sore wax on wax off arms
Newspaper is the best, but we don't purchase them often enough now to build up a supply.  I used to use a squeegee on the outside but i've been cheating with the hose and soap sprayer in the past few years, not as good but it's a LOT faster.  We get kamikaze bird strikes on the windows almost daily.  I do use a squeegee for the garage and patio room windows since they have plastic frames, but hard to keep the water/windex from dripping on the wood frames inside.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk