Some Kind of Bread Product

Started by Ever (Zombiepreparation), December 10, 2022, 04:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Let's say you're in an urban small place and some kind of disaster or disastrous situation is going. Supplies hard to get maybe. Something, I don't know. 🤔

You can cook somehow, at least every now and then. Maybe toss in for brief periods. Whatever.

Bread!

Or at least.. some kind of bread 'product'.
😅

This I can do

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Today's some kind of bread product went like this:

- quart pan
- some whole wheat flour
- some white self rising flour
- some chocolate cake mix
- some eggs
- some water
- some raisins
- some walnuts

Mixing bowl is a cereal bowl so only enough total flour & ingredients for the bowl.

I didn't measure nothin'.  Never do. Never can make the same thing twice either.

Heated oil for pan. Mixture was thicker than cake batter but not close to bread making texture so this one is a spoon drop and see what happens.

Wayyy too much oil in pan. Whatever, just let it roll.

So the first pan batch was three separate spoon drops. Which spread put like bigger cookies and sort of fried like a fry bread.

The rest (three cookie like things at a time) had the right amount of oil.

All tasted fine to me. I'm not hard to please concerning bread products I make but this could come in handy in OP situation.

I mean you'd have 'some' kind of bread product. 😄

Cooked some, foiled the bowl & put in fridge.

majorhavoc

QuoteMixing bowl is a cereal bowl

QuoteI didn't measure nothin'.  Never do.

Quotesee what happens.

QuoteWayyy too much oil in pan. Whatever, just let it roll.

Exactly the correct attitude in an emergency situation! You're alive, right?  And you have food ingredients and a way to cook them. Adjust your expectations of what constitutes "dinner". 

Although with those ingredients, it's hard to go too far wrong, especially the chocolate cake mix.  :)

When I was in Kenya, we learned to make chapatis and made them all the time.  Basically India's version of the flour tortilla.  Three ingredients: flour, salt and water.  Batter is flattened as best you can, with whatever you got handy (usually on a flat rock, with a flour-dusted waterbottle).  Cooked in a pan on a campstove or open fire.  Oil/butter is nice, but not strictly necessary. 

It's a very short learning curve to reliably eyeball the correct proportions.  But after that you have bread-like sustanance to accompany soup, sauces, etc.  Or more often than not, a peanut butter- and/or honey- delivery system.    :smiley_knipoog: 
A post-apocalyptic tale of love, loss and redemption. And zombies!
<br />https://ufozs.com/smf/index.php?topic=105.0

flybynight

We've made this alot. Simple, quick and tasty

https://youtu.be/mA7fmU545Uk
"Hey idiot, you should feel your pulse, not see it."  Echo 83

Halfapint

Bannock is similar isn't it? I've never made bannock per se, but out camping I've made bread with self rising flour, salt and water. Throw it in a pan and put it over the fire. I suppose same thing as you do there Ever, use some oil and fry it up. Maybe drizzle some oil and sprinkle salt on top. Delicious.

Bread fed the masses for how many thousands of years?
The original Half gettin sum land thread
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=111413

Quote from: SpazzyTell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

flybynight

Quote from: Halfapint on December 10, 2022, 02:45:41 PMBannock is similar isn't it? I've never made bannock per se, but out camping I've made bread with self rising flour, salt and water. Throw it in a pan and put it over the fire. I suppose same thing as you do there Ever, use some oil and fry it up. Maybe drizzle some oil and sprinkle salt on top. Delicious.

Bread fed the masses for how many thousands of years?
Yea that's fry bread.  Awesome with chili or sloppy joe type meat

https://youtu.be/ABxcAjC8flc

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Quote from: flybynight on December 10, 2022, 01:08:44 PMWe've made this alot. Simple, quick and tasty

https://youtu.be/mA7fmU545Uk

Heyyyy... you found a picture of what my bread product looks like Many times!

Now come to think of it, in 2010 or 2011 I was doing a lot of looking at this camping bread called bannok on YouTube. Which is probably where my idea came from, love of camping. Then by the time covid evolve in china and europe in Jan 2020 I'd gotten used to mostly camping-in during flu season anyway so when lockdowns came to my part of the world my preps had already gone hard into flour & yeast.

Back in the day I used to make WW loaves of yeast risen bread several times a week. the 70s-early 90s.
My first lockdown I gave breadmaking a shot again. <dramatic flour covered hand to forehead> Long, boring, took too much time, cleanup, and too little cabinet space to keep it up

Those YouTubes of bush cooking bread in a pan must have really made an imprint on me because without skipping a beat I just started mixing WW & self rising wheat with water.  If it was drip consistence or dough consistence I just cooked it and was satisfied.

Then doing 'What if I add... ?' Which never turned out to be unpalatable (<important in an urban disaster which is what this bread thread is for) ..though some have been very much better than others.

Eventually as someone in UFoZS mentioned I was adding so much dried fruit & nuts (plus accompanying seasonings) that for awhile it was like I was making pan loads of Fruit Cake cookies. And Yummy. And filling. With even blood sugar release levels that kept me active. Which looking back, and to the possible forward regarding urban unrest/contagion/actual war or just natural disaster, having an ample supply of bite size frozen Fruit Cake cookies just might not be a bad idea at all. Huh.

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Today's some sort of bread product

quart pan heating on stove top setting 3
pour in olive oil coating the pan
foil to make the lid and put it on pan

cereal bowl
- 1/3 box corn bread mix
- enough WW flour added to the mix to make it enough for the bowl
- a lot of raisins
- an egg
- milk & water for bread batter consistency

let sit 5 or 6 mins

pour batter in pan
turn stove top setting down to 2
cover with foil lid

Maybe 20+/- mins checked to see if it was flipable

When I flip it I turn stovetop setting to 1
at about 10 mins I start checking on how done it is

This one was one of the best done and the best tasting I've made.
It looked like a not-as-thick cake for a layer cake.

MacWa77ace

Cowboy Biscuits made in a frying pan over an open fire.

2 cups all purpose flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

4 Tablespoons real butter

Buttermilk ( hard to say how much but about heaping cup or so)

Substitute as needed. Bear/Bacon fat. You can use them for target practice also.

Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Ask me about my Fully Semi-Automatic 30-Mag clip death gun that's as heavy as 10 boxes.

flybynight

Reminds  me of the story how the cowboys would kid the cook. 
Burnt on the outside. Raw in the middle and salty as hell. Just the way I like em  :awesome:

EBuff75

Kent Rollins has done a number of breads on his YouTube channel, including cornbread, Australian damper bread, hardtack (dual video about "survival breads" which also covers hot water cornbread), and more. 
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

MacWa77ace

Hardtack is the easiest but you have to bake it. In an A Pak o' lips oven?
Flour, water and salt.

FYI
Alternative names:
ANZAC wafers, brewis, cabin bread, dog biscuit, hard tack, molar breakers, pilot bread, sea biscuit, sea bread, sheet iron, ship's biscuit, shipbiscuit, tooth dullers, worm castles
Lifetime gamer watch at MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Ask me about my Fully Semi-Automatic 30-Mag clip death gun that's as heavy as 10 boxes.

Halfapint

This has me wondering is there a pretty basic idiot (or idiot oven) proof bread?

I'd like to get back into breaking bread but the RV oven is not the best it's too hot, too cold and seems to so whatever it wants.

I can do a fry bread but I'm honestly thinking a more traditional bread? Maybe I should just experiment and play around with it and not worry about making the perfect load the first time.

Thoughts? Recipes?

Quote from: SpazzyTell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

EBuff75

There are a bunch of recipes which come up for "foolproof bread recipe" on Google.  Maybe try one of those?
Information - it's all a battle for information. You have to know what's happening if you're going to do anything about it. - Tom Clancy, Patriot Games

Halfapint

Quote from: EBuff75 on December 15, 2022, 10:30:10 PMThere are a bunch of recipes which come up for "foolproof bread recipe" on Google.  Maybe try one of those?

Yeah. I posted here and then use the ol google machine. We'll see I'll try a couple and see. I still like opinions here because y'all arernt a blog or foodie who needs to tell me how their grandma grew up in the Great Depression... well no shit, so did mine and she said the bread was and i quote "fucking inedible" because I asked her first. Leave it to a 91yo to repo you the truth.

Ever (Zombiepreparation)

Quote from: Halfapint on December 15, 2022, 09:49:02 PMThis has me wondering is there a pretty basic idiot (or idiot oven) proof bread?

I'd like to get back into breaking bread but the RV oven is not the best it's too hot, too cold and seems to so whatever it wants.

I can do a fry bread but I'm honestly thinking a more traditional bread? Maybe I should just experiment and play around with it and not worry about making the perfect load the first time.

Thoughts? Recipes?
If you ever try making regular bread in a stove top pan on low I'd like to hear the results because that would be an interesting thing to know. Back in the day I did make a stove top loaf in a pot w a steamer insert. I just placed the dough in a cake pan and put it on the steamer. Lid on top. It worked fine but it didn't brown on the top of course. It was pretty cool though.

flybynight

Quote from: Halfapint on December 15, 2022, 09:49:02 PMThis has me wondering is there a pretty basic idiot (or idiot oven) proof bread?

Thoughts? Recipes?
Try using a dutch oven with campfire coals

flybynight

Quote from: Halfapint on December 15, 2022, 10:58:55 PM

Thoughts? Recipes?

Quote from: EBuff75 on December 15, 2022, 10:30:10 PMThere are a bunch of recipes which come up for "foolproof bread recipe" on Google.  Maybe try one of those?

Yeah. I posted here and then use the ol google machine. We'll see I'll try a couple and see. I still like opinions here because y'all arernt a blog or foodie who needs to tell me how their grandma grew up in the Great Depression... well no shit, so did mine and she said the bread was and i quote "fucking inedible" because I asked her first. Leave it to a 91yo to repo you the truth.
All of my Mom's depression era food was although plain, still quite tasty . Perhaps your great grandma was 'nt a good cook, Since your grandma was a small child at that time . Or , your grandma (spicy sounding grandma ) might have been the kid who didn't like anything, There's one of those kids in every family  :awesome:

Halfapint

Quote from: flybynight on December 17, 2022, 12:41:10 PMAll of my Mom's depression era food was although plain, still quite tasty . Perhaps your great grandma was 'nt a good cook, Since your grandma was a small child at that time . Or , your grandma (spicy sounding grandma ) might have been the kid who didn't like anything, There's one of those kids in every family  :awesome:

The family joke is if grandma doesn't have something to complain about, then she's not happy. And I think my great grandma was possibly a bad cook, because grandma and grandpa talk about how their life changed when they found garlic salt on chicken 🤷🏼�♂️🤣

flybynight

Saw this type of pan in a short tik tok style vid on YT,

https://youtu.be/0JR1ZwXnkaU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk